Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 10-10-2020, 07:13 PM   #1
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Post Stereo work in the SS

Spent the past three days working on the stereo system in the wife's 454SS. Years ago a 'professional' stereo shop installed a custom system... Over the years I have repaired some very shoddy work and replaced mismatched components. One of the first things I fixed was the sub box. There were two 10" subs in one box, one was a 2 ohm and the other was a 4 ohm on a single mono amp! I removed one sub resized the box to the correct dimensions and wow did it sound so much better. There was also the remote turn on wire with three splices within six inches of each other...
Most of the equipment is 25+ years old now! The head unit has a tape deck, there was a 12 disc changer that recently failed. There was also a problem with one of the amps, there are three total.
I got her a new modern head unit with a cd player, aux, usb and bluetooth. I also got a new amp. Before installing any of the new equipment I had to figure out why one set of door speaker sets wasn't working and see if I could figure out what was wrong with the amp.
After disassembling half the interior so I could get to the speaker wires I found the issue! Turns out we caused this one a while back when we did sound deadening and a new carpet. Got a couple of the wires caught under the seat belt mount and crushed them! This was also causing the amp to overheat since the wires were shorted to the body... I cut off the damaged wiring and spliced in some new wires with a little added length and now everything works as it should.

I installed the new amplifier and ran new wires to the four crossovers so I could move them to a different location. I also bundled and ziptied some of the different wires to neaten things up, even though most of it is hidden, still makes for a nicer install and allows for easier installation of the custom center console.

I need to get new rca cables, the current ones were installed by the stereo shop and are 12 feet or more long! About double the length needed in a regular cab pickup! So I have a huge coil of extra wires... Fortunately there is some extra space under the console. I also replaced the rca splitters. One of the ones in there was a single male to two female and it should have been the other way around, they used gender switching adapters, so a bunch of extra unnecessary connections, plus the wire was bright yellow! Seems like the 'shop' just used what ever was laying around...

here is the stupid rca splitter next to a proper one:

I replaced all four of them in the system as the old ones were also loose.

I then spent some time tuning and adjusting everything. I reinstalled the interior and then sat in the truck and listened and tweaked a bit more. I'll leave the final tweaks to the wife and her ear. But I have to say the system sounds better then ever! I have forgotten just how loud and clean it can be!

The truck has two 6.5" woofers and two tweeters in each door. Four 4x6" speakers in factory locations in the dash and B pillar. And a 10" subwoofer in a sealed box under the center console. There is also an EQ mounted in the glove box and the head unit in the center dash.

The stereo shop had built a center console to go over the sub box:

Several years ago I built a new console and made it a little nicer, added a cup holder and made it match the interior a little better...

you can also see the speakers in the door.

Spent most of yesterday installing the head unit. Shouldn't have taken all that long since it's just four wires to connect... But the 'professional shop' that did the install many years ago was a real hack! So I had to spend some time repairing and removing unneeded wiring wiring.
Along with the new head unit I also replaced the dash bezel because that was hacked up as well! On a positive note they didn't cutup the factory wiring harness, they actually used a proper adapter.

In a two foot run of wires there were 4 splices/connections and only one had butt connectors all the rest were just twisted together and wrapped with electrical tape... I removed the entire thing and only had to cut one wire, and that was a repair I made a long time ago!

There was another connection to the left and the stereo plug to the right:

The remote turn on wires:

The power wires:
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 07:48 AM   #2
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
It's amazing what some shops hide to get work done, especially when you pay for quality components.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:25 AM   #3
TTSALEEN
Terminator ur G8

TTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this place
Nice job!
TTSALEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2020, 08:31 AM   #4
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
It's amazing what some shops hide to get work done, especially when you pay for quality components.
It sure is! That is why I try and do as much as possible myself. And things I can't do I only let a few select people do...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSALEEN View Post
Nice job!
Thanks!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote