HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 09-27-2009, 01:01 PM   #251
Littlemotor

Littlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this place
Rick dammit James...... Hot damn son!

I can only imagine how stoked you must be right now dude; the fitment looks pretty damned killer ESPECIALLY considering the level of "custom" you are working with there. As usual it sounds like you are well on top of things and staying on the path with the "big plans". I was kinda thinking you would end up doing a rotisserie for the project before too much longer, and ANYTHING to make the work feel less like work on something of this magnitude is always a good thing. I'd sure like to get up there and be able to give you a hand or at the very least do some spectating once my shit gets a bit more settled down and you have the time for folks to come up and check you out.

BTW, VERY NICE WORK on the lathe holmes, and you are right about the "budget" tranny looking at those clutches, lol. It's about time you caught some kinda "break" dude.

Keep us posted and again man, CONGRATULATIONS.

-Greg
Littlemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 01:57 PM   #252
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemotor View Post
Rick dammit James...... Hot damn son!

I can only imagine how stoked you must be right now dude; the fitment looks pretty damned killer ESPECIALLY considering the level of "custom" you are working with there. As usual it sounds like you are well on top of things and staying on the path with the "big plans". I was kinda thinking you would end up doing a rotisserie for the project before too much longer, and ANYTHING to make the work feel less like work on something of this magnitude is always a good thing. I'd sure like to get up there and be able to give you a hand or at the very least do some spectating once my shit gets a bit more settled down and you have the time for folks to come up and check you out.

BTW, VERY NICE WORK on the lathe holmes, and you are right about the "budget" tranny looking at those clutches, lol. It's about time you caught some kinda "break" dude.

Keep us posted and again man, CONGRATULATIONS.

-Greg
Thanks dude, and yes, it was good to see that trans in such great shape. I guess it just goes to show that not everyone sells junk.
https://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:05 PM   #253
Woodys03
Billing Manager G&W MS

Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Looks great tubby

Woodys03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 05:12 PM   #254
02gmc5.3

02gmc5.3 is actually making some sense.02gmc5.3 is actually making some sense.
Glad to see it coming together. How much is the converter gonna run ya?
02gmc5.3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:45 PM   #255
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
Looks awesome Brian but Id be freaking out! Ive gone 2mos yesturday and im going crazy!

Last edited by Mwilson; 09-27-2009 at 08:03 PM..
Mwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #256
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by 02gmc5.3 View Post
Glad to see it coming together. How much is the converter gonna run ya?
Somewhere between the $700-$900 range. I'll have to call the guy up that I am going to have make the converter and see. The carbon fiber/kevlar lock up clutch is what's going to cost a ton.
Old 10-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #257
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Finished up the trans today. I made a pilot bushing for the crank, seeing as how the GM converter hub is 1.700 and the hole in the back of the BBM crank is 1.815. I also made it about .100 longer so it would bottom in the pilot hole and stick out .100 for more hub support. The crank kinda comes up a little on the short side to support the hub like I would like. The bushing OD is .0004 oversize for a slight press fit.

I also transferred the hole pattern from the GM converter to my flywheel and made spacers to get the right converter depth, then TIG'ed them on. Hole pattern is 6 on 11.500 bolt circle. Keep in mind that this is the VERY first one that has come from Quick time and I have been chosen to do the development work and mods for this particular application. After all this is done, I'll send it back to Quicktime and they will take measurements of the modifications and start sending these things out the door. Basicly, if you're a mopar guy and interested in this swap, I just did all the work for you.

This right here is the defining moment. I know, you say, "those are just converter bolts" and I say - damn right, this bitch is DONE now!

.......and now the final product, all mated together, complete with flywheel and converter bolts!!!

Old 10-02-2009, 05:43 PM   #258
Littlemotor

Littlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this place

I'ma start calling you NASA, brother.

Great work man, I'll post back in a bit, cooking dinner FTW.
Old 10-02-2009, 06:45 PM   #259
1wildcoupe
BigBlockPowa!!!!!

1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place
lookin good tubby....i cant wait to see this thing come to life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Littlemotor View Post

I'ma start calling you NASA, brother.

Great work man, I'll post back in a bit, cooking dinner FTW.
what we having and what time should i be there???
......but knowing you, you'd eat it all and then want to cook more

1999 Silverado
1wildcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2009, 01:49 PM   #260
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Starting working on the die for the intake runners. This is just 1/2 of the completed project. Even after I make the form, I'll have to make another die to fit inside to complete the process. I'll have to hand blend and polish this some too. If I would have taken a little more time machining it, I wouldn't have to polish it.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:52 PM   #261
Akhenaton
Fucker got booted!

Akhenaton has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbed440 View Post
Starting working on the die for the intake runners. This is just 1/2 of the completed project. Even after I make the form, I'll have to make another die to fit inside to complete the process. I'll have to hand blend and polish this some too. If I would have taken a little more time machining it, I wouldn't have to polish it.

You are such a tool for not polishing this piece to fit. Man your build skills are really trying my 2nd grade education.

Shiite looks sweet. Can you save all your slag for me I like ot drink it with some WD-40.
Akhenaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2009, 08:26 PM   #262
Littlemotor

Where we at B?

I know you are a busy sumbitch, just thought I'd check in on the status.
Old 11-13-2009, 08:47 PM   #263
msydnor

msydnor might have posted something useful at one time
Damn dude, you got some skilz

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 05:28 AM   #264
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Well, that mold half in the picture above is machined wrong. The draft angle is 5 degrees instead of 10. Not sure how I messed that up, but I did. I'm going into to work today to fire up the machines and hopefully get at least 1/2 of this thing machined correctly. At this point, the only thing keeping me from putting the engine in the car and fitting the trans is this damn intake. I have to use the engine as a welding jig. So, hopefully, before the end of December, I can have this done and the engine/trans in the car. I don't think I'll be hearing it run by Christmas as I had planned.
Old 11-14-2009, 01:38 PM   #265
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Ok, so I flipped the old mold half over and machined on the other side to help save material. I just got done machining it, and I'll make the other half tomorrow and then hand blend in the halves after I bolt them together. After that, I need to make the insert for the mold that will hold the sheet metal in place so it can be pressed in and "die formed". I hope this works, if it doesn't I'll have to back up and punt.

Old 11-14-2009, 06:16 PM   #266
Littlemotor

Damn you are a busy dude, homey! I am familiar with the ol' 3 step jig myself. You know, "1 step forward, 2 steps back"? You're gettin it done man, looking good.
Old 11-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #267
RedLS6
RoadRacer

RedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbed440 View Post
Well, that mold half in the picture above is machined wrong. The draft angle is 5 degrees instead of 10.
Yup, I noticed that right away

Looking good! Nice method to make the runners.

2002 Torch Red Z06
RedLS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2009, 06:57 PM   #268
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS6 View Post
Yup, I noticed that right away

Looking good! Nice method to make the runners.

Man, you guys have got to start speaking up so I don't have to do everything twice.
Old 11-17-2009, 11:55 AM   #269
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

A quick view of the mold in CAD. I should have it finished by Friday, including the center piece. Whether or not it will work remains to be seen. Shown in two colors so it would be easier to see the different halves.

Old 11-17-2009, 12:09 PM   #270
Lunchbox
Stab

Lunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this placeLunchbox is without a doubt too mature for this place
are you building a mofuckin spaceship....bitch this is a dodge!
Lunchbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:19 PM   #271
black_z

black_z is a good little Junkie
lol
black_z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 12:51 PM   #272
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Another one with the center die.

Old 11-17-2009, 01:56 PM   #273
Woodys03
Billing Manager G&W MS

Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111
I am lost lol. UUUUUHHHH Looks good Tubby......TN education

Woodys03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 01:58 PM   #274
jspook
wife made me do it

jspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this placejspook is without a doubt too mature for this place
i know i will probably piss someone off, don't mean to but my calculation's come up to a 493.08. just my .02 cent's worth. yes i'm bored
jspook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 03:11 PM   #275
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspook View Post
i know i will probably piss someone off, don't mean to but my calculation's come up to a 493.08. just my .02 cent's worth. yes i'm bored

Did you use 4.375 or 4.320? Std bore 440 is 4.320. Mine is no longer standard bore. If you want to get real technical, it's 499.10, not taking into account the Cylinder head area or head gasket. If you take that into account, it's a little over 500.