HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 03-23-2021, 06:30 AM   #526
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Preciate it guys. Washed all the power steering fluid out of the engine bay yesterday and may need to pull the engine down.. Fired it up to idle to help dry out the engine bay and I can hear noises middle of the intake. Unsure if a lifter has a wheel stuck or has spun in the lifter tray. Going to drain the oil/cut filter and see if there's anything to report.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 05:54 AM   #527
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Some pics I received from some guys with bad ass cameras at Caraway. That truly was an awesome time. Only thing that would have made it better was stickier tires.

Old 04-26-2021, 12:21 PM   #528
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

After Caraway Speedway, I got home and degreased the engine bay to wash all the power steering fluid off the driver's side. When I fired the engine up to dry I heard a noise under the intake, sounded like a loose lifter but I couldn't quite pinpoint it. Metal clack / faint pingpong noise. Looking through the datalog I was recording on the way home I was getting MAJOR spark knock when I was getting on it. First things first, dropped the oil and filter, cut the filter open, there were maybe 1 speck of metal every 6th pleat? Oil was golden brown, no hint of issue or over abundance of metal on the drain plug magnet.

Still running stock (120k) lifters, pushrods, timing chain, etc.. Was worried a stock lifter was falling apart, or worse yet, turned sideways in the lifter tray and roller was riding sideways on a lobe. I pulled the valve covers, rockers, and pushrods trying to see the orientation of the lifters. Unfortunately the LS heads have about a 3/8" diameter hole for the pushrods, can't really see much through them even w/ a borescope. So, off come the heads to get to the lifters. First time the head gaskets have seen light since installed at the factory.

Lifters were all intact and lined up as they should have been. Lifter trays were worn and weren't holding the lifters as tightly as they should. Also after pulling the lifters I found 2 that were not holding any pressure compared to the others. I could damn near hang off the screwdriver I was using to compress the lifter cup and 14 barely moved, 2 compressed the full length of their travel. While I was at it I pulled the cam to see if there was any problems w/ finish. It looked good, no scars, knicks, etc. Dammit.. was hoping for an excuse to go bigger.

While everything was off the front of the engine it was a perfect time to fix the stupid high position the engine mounts had put the engine in. Before I could stick 2 full fingers in between the oil pan and inner tie rod end, now there's about 1/2 a finger gap. Good work there. You can visibly see where the heater hoses were riding before, think I brought he nose down around an inch, now I have to go back and work on the pinion angle, getting a good vibration around 75+.

Since I got this far into it, it was time to right some of the wrongs when I first put the car on the road. While the engine was torn down I'd replace the factory timing chain and all the other stock valvetrain items that needed to be addressed. Only problem with LS motors is you have to pull the oil pump to pull the crank gear/timing chain. The major problem with that is getting the bolt out of the oil pickup tube/bottom oil pump. My problem was I'd put a girdle on the oil pickup tube and used 2 bolts. Have to drop the pan to get it off. So..

Pulled it, cleaned all the power steering fluid/dirt off the driver's side. Went ahead and put a fresh coat of hugger orange on it while it was out. While it was drying I inspected the heads, manually checked valve guides (didn't measure), all felt tight and in good working order, then lapped the valves and cleaned the heads up, new valve stem seals, and set aside.

Mmmm, engine stand candy! Summit racing billet double roller timing chain and trickflow LS3 style timing chain dampener. I'm done with floppy timing! The timing chain had adjustable timing, was really wrestling with the idea of advancing the cam to bring the power in a little sooner, but really didn't want to spend the time to check piston to valve clearance again along with have to go back through the tune.

By the way, if you're ever in need of engine bags, Home Depot is the place. 33 gallon for short blocks, 50 gallon for long blocks. Put a piece of tape on top of the bag so you know the correct orientation when you go to put it back on, that way you aren't dumping trash into the engine. When I'd pulled the pan, it was clean, nothing in the bottom, pickup tube screen was clean too, so no internal damage..

[/url]

Buttoned her up, slammed the engine home, and was wheels down Thursday night. Did a little goofing around Friday night, rained Saturday, then yesterday took it to a car show that was more import/yee yee truck than old car. After that picked up my daughter and her friends and put on a 70 mile 0 issue cruise, it was awesome. Even got to check to see if the line lock worked. It did. Too well. OH, after I got it back together I noticed it sounded better, idled better, and pulled harder, BUT still had the ECM pulling all kinds of spark retard under load. Thought I'd just wasted a bunch of money and time.. Went and got some fresh gas, after 5 miles the knock disappeared. I'd filled up at a COUNTRY gas station before the speedway to make sure I didn't run out. Not sure if they had 87 in the 93 tank or what.. So, cliff notes, 2 bad lifters, new parts, and fresh gas. Good times.

[/url]
Old 04-26-2021, 12:39 PM   #529
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Good stuff dude! Glad to hear you got it sorted!
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 02:24 PM   #530
Blk Death
Speed of dumb

Blk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this place
This car is awesome!

General James Mattis
Blk Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2021, 07:49 PM   #531
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys, I've definitely warmed up to it over the years.

Forgot to add this one, buddy of mine just got a '21 Camaro SS and brought it by to check on me and do some work to it. That thing is amazing, I'm damn near jealous at how nice it is. While he was there I got him to help get the hood back on, that damn thing is so awkwardly heavy.. guarantee you could make half a car with the amount of metal in it.

Old 04-26-2021, 08:16 PM   #532
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
man that looks good!
Old 04-27-2021, 07:13 AM   #533
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Kickass man! Glad you found the lifter stuff before it became a real expensive issue.
https://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2021, 07:51 AM   #534
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
need an octane meter on the dash! lol
Old 04-27-2021, 02:30 PM   #535
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Lol thanks guys. Gas station was the Exxon at the Randleman/220 exit, wouldn't recommend.

This was the engine stand candy pic, for some reason it didn't post.. Summit double roller adjustable billet setup and Trickflow LS3 style chain dampener. Along with ARP cam bolts, they were same price as TTY factory bolts.. Pump gear has made in USA stamp on it but billet cam gear has telltale overseas roman font on the laser etched wording.

Had a stroke of luck, guy living in OH was coming to meet family in Winston, was able to get a good deal on front frame brace, rear control arm braces, and rear shock mount brace to put on the frame. Should help keep this thing together a little better. Ignore the melted orange cone on the primaries in the upper left of the pic. That's the cone I hit when I lost brake assist at Caraway, little bit of sketch, it got hung up under the pass header. I started to polish them but said f it.

Really wanted to grab a die grinder and try my hand at some porting, but just couldn't get a hold of my panties to do anything. These are stock 317 heads, same port design and tracts as the coveted 243 *LS6* heads just regular valves and larger combustion chamber. boo.

Cool SEMA bluetooth engine mounts, engine sits down low now, really nice, really need to get under it and see if I can correct the working angles. Right now the rear adjustable upper arms are cranked as short as they can go to make up for the bad engine angle, hoping to be able to lengthen them out a little and get the angles in check.

Hard to believe but 16 lifters do fit in a quart of oil!

Old 04-27-2021, 05:27 PM   #536
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
WOW a bunch of work done!

seems like you caught a real problem before it happened with those couple bad lifters.
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2021, 06:12 AM   #537
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
WOW a bunch of work done!

seems like you caught a real problem before it happened with those couple bad lifters.
I'm wondering if they were bad from the get go? Never knew because of the lumpy cam, but every once in a while on a cold startup/idle it would throw a p0300 random multiple misfire. I just assumed it was the cam and cleared the code. Now that everything is "right" the idle is more consistent. Before it would kind of sound like it was loading up, then clear itself, now it just idles..
Wondering if I've been running/tuning with 2 not so great cylinders all this time.

You can hear it hear, da dum ba dum ba dum, tickety tickety tickety.. Originally it was the ECM varying the idle timing and causing all kinds of fun tuning, but I'd set the timing static throughout idle, so it should just be a constant now. I'll be going through datalogs at some point to compare with what I have now, just haven't had a lot of time to mess with it and haven't got to drive the car solo since I got it off jackstands to really pay attention.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DB4uUyF2iu4
Old 04-28-2021, 08:06 AM   #538
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
What the heck!?!
Got her back together quick, and man, that timing set is sexxy
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu