Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Off Topic and More > Junkies Den

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 12-22-2011, 04:14 PM   #1
LS-Voodoo
stroked and injected

LS-Voodoo is actually making some sense.LS-Voodoo is actually making some sense.
Anyone have Air Force job advice?

Come April Ill be headin off to basic, got an Qt score of 85 on my ASVAB. 98 on mech and a 95 on elec. so iv got a TON on jobs in those areas. Admin was a 82 and science 88, Im a mecanic by profession and I want to learn a new skill set while in active duty so when I get out I have another career path possible. Lookin at all intel jobs, unmanned operator, air traffic control, cryptologic linguist as well as airbourn cryptologic linguist. If I need to Ill do elec and mech work on planes, I dont think being a crew cheif or a flight engineer wouldnt be to bad. I do want to travel a bit so im not opposed to jobs that will see deployment (I understand it wont be in sight seeing areas) but to experience other culters I feel it will broaden my perspective on alot of things, mostly just how good we have it in the good ol U S of A. Anyway if you have had or are serving in a AFSC and want to give a review Id def. appreciate it. Not lookin at Spec ops jobs at this time (TAcP, pararescue, combat control ect) as you can be kicked out of the Air Force if you fail training or so im told.

Last edited by LS-Voodoo; 12-22-2011 at 06:54 PM..
LS-Voodoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
CMitchell

CMitchell is a good little Junkie
I was in the Air Force and my job was A.G.E areospace ground equipment.
Seemed like I worked on every damn thing. It was an ok job.
CMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 05:18 PM   #3
HardcoreABN
Cheats With LSX Power

HardcoreABN has no rep around here.
I have several friends who are JTACS, you do not get a dishonorable discharge for failing. They send you to a different school. The only way to get a dishonorable discharge is being convicted by a Courts Martial. Who ever told you that lied to you.

402 LS2 11.5:1, .621/.595 115+4 cam, CNC LS3 heads, LG long tube headers, Corsa exhaust, Monster clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous
HardcoreABN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:16 PM   #4
LS-Voodoo
stroked and injected

LS-Voodoo is actually making some sense.LS-Voodoo is actually making some sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HardcoreABN View Post
I have several friends who are JTACS, you do not get a dishonorable discharge for failing. They send you to a different school. The only way to get a dishonorable discharge is being convicted by a Courts Martial. Who ever told you that lied to you.
My recruiter told me that, i mentioned I was intrested in TAcP and right off the bat he said "I usally steer people away from Spec Ops unless they only want that one job". Then he went on to say if I was to not make it out of the training that I could be kicked out of the Air Force altogether. It is what it is, Im lookin for a challenge something to make me push myself, not lookin to breeze by and get drunk on my off time. Im gonna be putting in my time and doin volunteer work on my off duty time. Not lookin to mess around
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM   #5
HardcoreABN
Cheats With LSX Power

If that is what you want, do it. Talk to a different recruiter, he is blowing smoke up your ass because he has a list of "priority" jobs he has to try to funnel people into.

402 LS2 11.5:1, .621/.595 115+4 cam, CNC LS3 heads, LG long tube headers, Corsa exhaust, Monster clutch, return style fuel system, 2 stage nitrous
Old 12-22-2011, 06:35 PM   #6
SLOW88LX
still slow!

SLOW88LX is a good little Junkie
I am A.G.E. Areospace Ground Equipment Mechanic, we work on all the support equipment for the aircraft. I have enjoyed it for the past 19 years 9 months. Like mentioned we work on about everything. Generation, neumatics, hydraulics, Airconditioning, heating, electrical of all sorts 60hz and 400hz. Work 1 cylinder to detroit 53 series engines. I can only suggest do not become a cop or crew chief!!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:37 PM   #7
THNKTWCE
O.G.

THNKTWCE has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLOW88LX View Post
I am A.G.E. Areospace Ground Equipment Mechanic, we work on all the support equipment for the aircraft. I have enjoyed it for the past 19 years 9 months. Like mentioned we work on about everything. Generation, neumatics, hydraulics, Airconditioning, heating, electrical of all sorts 60hz and 400hz. Work 1 cylinder to detroit 53 series engines. I can only suggest do not become a cop or crew chief!!

Security Forces?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:51 PM   #8
Alansvt

Alansvt is a good little Junkie
QT score is that only for air force or did you mean GT score?
Next project 67-68 Fastback???
Alansvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #9
Alansvt

Alansvt is a good little Junkie
also I never heard of people getting dishonorable discharge for failing out. I would have thought they would have just made you reclass.
Next project 67-68 Fastback???
Alansvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:53 PM   #10
LS-Voodoo
stroked and injected

Quote:
Whats wrong with being a crew cheif? Care to elaborate? Got a friend that is a crew cheif on heavies and he loves it. granted hes stationed in Georgia and only has 7 or so planes.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:55 PM   #11
msydnor

msydnor might have posted something useful at one time
Quote:
Originally Posted by LS-Voodoo View Post
My recruiter told me that, i mentioned I was intrested in TAcP and right off the bat he said "I usally steer people away from Spec Ops unless they only want that one job". Then he went on to say if I was to not make it out of the training that I could be kicked out of the Air Force altogether. It is what it is, Im lookin for a challenge something to make me push myself, not lookin to breeze by and get drunk on my off time. Im gonna be putting in my time and doin volunteer work on my off duty time. Not lookin to mess around
That is an outright lie!

Intel jobs: Work with them alot now and for many years. Intel is a pretty slate job. You sit behind locked doors reading a lot of secret shit. You deploy, but you are often with a headquarter element (that a good thing) When deployed, intel generally has it made in the shade. IMO, intel is very interesting. Intel analyst on the outside generally start at $70K and up. When not deploy, work ours are 0730 to 1630

Unmanned operator: I'm guessing this is drones. I recently had a guy retrain out if SF into it. He seem to think it cool. I don't personally know much about it.

Air Traffic Control: decent pay on the outside and no shortage of work. Can be stressful at larger Air Fields. You will see shift work a lot

Cryptologic Linguist. Cool very interesting job. Pay on the outside starts about the same as intel. Actually, this is one of those jobs, just like intel, that when you get out, you will likely be still working for DoD as a civilian or another federal agency.

Electric and Mech work on planes and crew cheif: Shift work, unappreciated. There are some guys here that can probably fill you in on this.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
msydnor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 06:56 PM   #12
LS-Voodoo
stroked and injected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansvt View Post
QT score is that only for air force or did you mean GT score?
That im not sure of as some abbriviations are diff per branch but its the overall score
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alansvt View Post
also I never heard of people getting dishonorable discharge for failing out. I would have thought they would have just made you reclass.
I changed my wording in the OP as I do not beleive I wrote that correctly but I was told that you could be removed from the AF altogether but dont know how true that is.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM   #13
msydnor

Quote:
Whats wrong with being a crew cheif? Care to elaborate? Got a friend that is a crew cheif on heavies and he loves it. granted hes stationed in Georgia and only has 7 or so planes.

You work hard. You work weekend and holidays, you work various shifts. When everyone else is off for the weekend or holiday, you're on the flightline. Others are in Air Conditioned offices, you're on teh TARMAC in 115 degree heat. Same for Security Forces. I was SF for my entire career and wouldn't do anything different, but it's not for everyone.

"To argue with a person who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead."-Thomas Paine
Old 12-22-2011, 07:02 PM   #14
msydnor

Quote:
That im not sure of as some abbriviations are diff per branch but its the overall score

I changed my wording in the OP as I do not beleive I wrote that correctly but I was told that you could be removed from the AF altogether but dont know how true that is.
Unless something changed in the last 30 years, you would just get a different career field if you flunk out. You'll end up either in services or security forces most likely. Or what ever the AF needs to fill the most at the time.

Old 12-22-2011, 07:19 PM   #15
CMitchell

CMitchell is a good little Junkie
Quote:

Shit man, we had to run across each other. Basic in 90 (3743) and chanute for tec school. Kadina in 91 then back to chanute for a few years to finish my time. I should have stayed in and retired.
CMitchell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:25 PM   #16
edz
Retired ATC

edz is a good little Junkie
Air traffic control. With experience you can hire directly into the FAA when discharged. Controllers at busy facilities make $150K+. Retire at 55 and your military time counts.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:54 PM   #17
SLOW88LX
still slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by msydnor View Post
You work hard. You work weekend and holidays, you work various shifts. When everyone else is off for the weekend or holiday, you're on the flightline. Others are in Air Conditioned offices, you're on teh TARMAC in 115 degree heat. Same for Security Forces. I was SF for my entire career and wouldn't do anything different, but it's not for everyone.
The crew chiefs for fighters get beat down everyday! 12+ hour shifts what seems everyday, dont get me wrong they piss me off almost everyday being idiots when it comes to running our equipment. Now as far as being a security forces or law enforcement. Watch dog on the flightline or busy using radar on cars going 30mph on base!!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:55 PM   #18
BoTiS
Need power tools?

BoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this placeBoTiS is without a doubt too mature for this place
Join the Army, then you can have a massive cock like me.

Fast Car, Huge Cock, Massive Ego.....Fuck Yeah...
BoTiS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 07:58 PM   #19
SLOW88LX
still slow!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMitchell View Post
Shit man, we had to run across each other. Basic in 90 (3743) and chanute for tec school. Kadina in 91 then back to chanute for a few years to finish my time. I should have stayed in and retired.
March 91 basic, left Chanute Sept 91 on to K.I. Sawyer AFB
Old 12-22-2011, 08:05 PM   #20
HardcoreABN
Cheats With LSX Power

oh shit son KI....been there many times, have friends from the UP

Old 12-22-2011, 11:25 PM   #21
oscar80

oscar80 is actually making some sense.oscar80 is actually making some sense.
I was a 3C0 they changed that to 3d0 or something now. Its working with computer networks and software. I liked it and it transferred to a civialian job pretty well.

My first troop got washed out of pararescue and cross trained into my career.

Dave

Life's Journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out shouting "Holy shit... What a Ride" Author - Unknown
oscar80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2011, 11:56 PM   #22
5.0 Fox
DILLIGAF

5.0 Fox might have posted something useful at one time5.0 Fox might have posted something useful at one time
Stay away from maintenance career fields. My AFSC is 2W0 (Munitions Systems or Ammo) and we get worked to death and its usually unappreciated. It's a cool job but it can be pretty stressful, as is the same with other maintenance jobs (crew chief, AGE, etc.). Intel is pretty legit from everyone I have talked to who does it and so is ATC. And your recruiter is an idiot, failing out of any job training doesn't get you kicked out. The DoD already spent tons on money on you getting you in and through BMT so they won't just drop you, they will find a place for you to get their money's worth.

Paul
Old 12-23-2011, 12:20 AM   #23
CAMELEON
Why Pick Just One Color

CAMELEON might have posted something useful at one time
Whatever you decide, get everything in writing! The recruiter can promise you the world, but if it aint on your enlistment papers it probably is not going to happen.

1995 Lightning
1995 MUSTANG GT - Track Car
1996 Mystic Cobra
2005 Mustang GT Vert
CAMELEON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 12:40 AM   #24
teenVette

teenVette is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar80 View Post
I was a 3C0 they changed that to 3d0 or something now. Its working with computer networks and software. I liked it and it transferred to a civialian job pretty well.

My first troop got washed out of pararescue and cross trained into my career.

Dave
That's exactly what I am too. When I first joined the reenlistment bonus was 60k, but they took that away when the economy tanked. But it still is a great job. I got out after 6 years with a TS clearance and a great paying job. I'm still in the National Guard to keep my clearance updated, and to work on another retirement. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't pick any other job
2012 Chevrolet Corvette (me)
2008 Chevrolet Corvette (wife)
2009 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport (me)
teenVette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 03:56 AM   #25
SuperStock99
\m/ \m/

SuperStock99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperStock99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperStock99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperStock99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperStock99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperStock99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperStock99 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Does this mean your parting out your car?.......

"It's called torque, and it only comes in American"
SuperStock99 is offline   Reply With Quote