HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #126
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Here's half of a complete set of ports for one bank. I ran out of time today - so I'll finish later. From design to this point took me about 3 hours.

Here you can see the gasket laying on top, it matches pretty much perfectly. Still lots of meat in the part for porting later if I want to go bigger.

Here you can see the gasket under the part. Matches pretty well I'd say.

https://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:36 PM   #127
Littlemotor

Littlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this place
Looking good NASA. Keep plugging away man, I got faith in ya, it WILL run.
Littlemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 02:53 PM   #128
RedLS6
RoadRacer

RedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this place
I usually design and build my own intake manifolds whenever I have hood clearance issues. Hell of a lot easier than cutting the hood

Looks great Bryan- It'll definitely be unique! Post up more pics as you go.

2002 Torch Red Z06
RedLS6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2009, 03:05 PM   #129
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS6 View Post
I usually design and build my own intake manifolds whenever I have hood clearance issues. Hell of a lot easier than cutting the hood

Looks great Bryan- It'll definitely be unique! Post up more pics as you go.

I didn't want to compromise on the hood. I have a stock style rallye hood that looks killer. All the other scoops that you can get look like ass - unless you pay out the ass to get / fab up a shaker hood. It would have cost me about 1,500 bucks just to do a shaker hood - not worth it to me.

I'm also running EFI. BIG throttle bodies that support the amount of air this engine will need are usually 4500 flange. They don't make a 4500 flanged intake that will go to a max wedge port that will fit under the hood with the throttle body and air cleaner. So, seeing as how there is only 1 after market intake that has EFI bungs (Edelbrock Victor) that can go max wedge (but oh BTW, it has a 4150 flange and it 8.5 inches tall to begin with) I decided to build my own. I have the tools - no money and some time, so why not?

All I need now is a pair of throttle bodies - like ones that come off of LS1's.
Old 01-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #130
confused
Fuquay Vagina

confused is actually making some sense.confused is actually making some sense.
Run it with the unported heads and save your cash for some Indy EZ's or -1's.Modern cylinder head just ran a cnc special on moparts which would help them greatly.I did'nt have the dough for it..damnit.
The 493+ really like the flow but you can get some good results out of rpm's with the cnc program.
Badass ride.Cool as hell no matter what it runs!
Old 01-10-2009, 03:29 PM   #131
RedLS6
RoadRacer

RedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this placeRedLS6 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Are you planning to place the TBs on the front of the intake like the Viper/Vette, or on top pointing upwards? From the sounds of it, I was thinking front for clearance....would look damn cool also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubbed440 View Post
I didn't want to compromise on the hood. I have a stock style rallye hood that looks killer. All the other scoops that you can get look like ass - unless you pay out the ass to get / fab up a shaker hood. It would have cost me about 1,500 bucks just to do a shaker hood - not worth it to me.

I'm also running EFI. BIG throttle bodies that support the amount of air this engine will need are usually 4500 flange. They don't make a 4500 flanged intake that will go to a max wedge port that will fit under the hood with the throttle body and air cleaner. So, seeing as how there is only 1 after market intake that has EFI bungs (Edelbrock Victor) that can go max wedge (but oh BTW, it has a 4150 flange and it 8.5 inches tall to begin with) I decided to build my own. I have the tools - no money and some time, so why not?

All I need now is a pair of throttle bodies - like ones that come off of LS1's.
2002 Torch Red Z06
Old 01-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #132
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Yup, on the front. The completed intake will look very similar to this.

Cross ram-ish of sorts. I may change my mind and do a short runner with a big plenum like a "sheet metal" intake with two TB's on the front, but that remains to be seen at this point. I've got a good idea on an easy way to make the runners for this, so unless someone comes up with an easier/cheaper idea, I'm going to take this and run with it.

This also makes plumbing easier for twins in the future.

Quote:
Originally Posted by confused View Post
Run it with the unported heads and save your cash for some Indy EZ's or -1's.Modern cylinder head just ran a cnc special on moparts which would help them greatly.I did'nt have the dough for it..damnit.
The 493+ really like the flow but you can get some good results out of rpm's with the cnc program.
Badass ride.Cool as hell no matter what it runs!
I'm going to clean the runners up some and do a gasket match, but that's all at this point. I don't have the $$$ to throw at a custom port job at the moment. If Edelbrocks # are close, this should be about a 650-675hp build on pump gas, N/A. That'll net me low to mid 10's, providing I can hit the weight limit right. At any rate, the car will be fitted with other systems right from the git-go to support more HP or radical combos in the future. We'll see how things progress as my wallet starts screaming for relief about the middle of '09.

Last edited by Tubbed440; 01-10-2009 at 04:18 PM..
Old 01-10-2009, 04:20 PM   #133
Woodys03
Billing Manager G&W MS

Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Damn Tubby, I can't wait to see what you end up with man!!

Woodys03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 01:50 PM   #134
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Put the 20 degree angle in the port openings today and finished out the part. The next one should take a lot less time to make. The machine is set up for it already.

Now all I need to do is a little port matching to the head and we'll have a winner.

Old 01-11-2009, 01:56 PM   #135
Woodys03
Billing Manager G&W MS

Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111Woodys03 best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Damn dude you have more talent in your big toe than I have in my whole body!!!

Old 01-11-2009, 02:36 PM   #136
cold85

cold85 might have posted something useful at one time
I know i can go back and look but are those rpm heads?
Old 01-11-2009, 02:40 PM   #137
8UANEW1
I'm Rick James..... BITCH

8UANEW1 is a good little Junkie
Sweeet. now get me job up @ viper . I've always loved those old Challengers. You don't see them everyday like Mustangs & Camaro's.
8UANEW1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2009, 03:57 PM   #138
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cold85 View Post
I know i can go back and look but are those rpm heads?

Victors, the non-max wedge version.
Old 01-11-2009, 04:20 PM   #139
RedLS6
RoadRacer

If you did the short runner, big plenum and added a removable plenum top, you could always extend the runners into the plenum if there is space available within the height limitations ... might allow you to play with the runner length if needed.

Quote:
Cross ram-ish of sorts. I may change my mind and do a short runner with a big plenum like a "sheet metal" intake with two TB's on the front, but that remains to be seen at this point. I've got a good idea on an easy way to make the runners for this, so unless someone comes up with an easier/cheaper idea, I'm going to take this and run with it.
2002 Torch Red Z06
Old 01-11-2009, 04:47 PM   #140
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedLS6 View Post
If you did the short runner, big plenum and added a removable plenum top, you could always extend the runners into the plenum if there is space available within the height limitations ... might allow you to play with the runner length if needed.
That idea has been kicked around too. There's a company out there that makes cast bell mouths to your specs - that you can "bolt in" depending on how your design is. I'm not sure of the cost associated with that, but it could be done at a later date if it's designed for now.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I have a pic somewhere that shows one of these in "single" form - but I think it's on the work computer.

Old 01-30-2009, 02:45 PM   #141
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Been trying my hand at welding alum. Practice makes perfect, eh? Shit aint as easy as it looks, for sure. If you don't ball the tungsten just right, you can hang this up.

These are my best ones so far. Some of the bad ones were ugly, but effective.

Nickels, anyone?

Old 01-30-2009, 03:03 PM   #142
BigDyno
HPJ Site Supporter

BigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigDyno is without a doubt too mature for this place
Your aluminum welding looks pretty good for your first time tubbed.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #143
4.6GT

4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place
those welds look awesome, man. welding aluminum is fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUGRNAUT View Post
If i didnt hate you so much, I would agree with you. But since I do hate you, Im gonna just say "shut the fuck up cockholster"
4.6GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2009, 03:05 PM   #144
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDyno View Post
Your aluminum welding looks pretty good for your first time tubbed.
Thanks!

I didn't post the real bad ones.....yet.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:07 PM   #145
4.6GT

4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place4.6GT is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Thanks!

I didn't post the real bad ones.....yet.
lol. the first time i picked up an AL tig rig, my welds looked like shit. a few times after, i was doing it perfect...well pretty much.

Quote:
If i didnt hate you so much, I would agree with you. But since I do hate you, Im gonna just say "shut the fuck up cockholster"
Old 01-30-2009, 03:15 PM   #146
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Here's a couple for you.

Keep in mind I was trying to weld a 1/2 piece to a square tube with a .125 wall thickness. It got interesting.
Old 01-30-2009, 03:18 PM   #147
4.6GT

Quote:
Here's a couple for you.

Keep in mind I was trying to weld a 1/2 piece to a square tube with a .125 wall thickness. It got interesting.
haha yea my first ones looked about like those. i quickly got a hang of how to control the rig and all that after. now its a cake walk.

the pics you posted first look AWESOME. keep it up, and can't wait to see the final product.

Quote:
Old 01-30-2009, 08:55 PM   #148
Littlemotor

Littlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this place
VERY NICE Bryan, you are moving right along dude. Looking good for sure. I can almost smell that aluminum radiator cooking from here.
Littlemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 04:37 PM   #149
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Some piktars of the ol' challenger out of it's cave so I could clean up some. They kinda suck, but with no drive train, I have to drag it around the yard with my Chevy . Gotta a little done today, just don't have pics of that yet. This coming week will be the serious "work on the challenger" week......the wife's going to be out of town. I see some late nights in the garage in my future.

It looks better with the engine in it - the front ride height is a little hight at the moment.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:39 PM   #150
Woodys03
Billing Manager G&W MS

Looks great man!!!