HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 04-03-2018, 09:11 PM   #251
Russell

Russell has no rep around here.
First fire is a great feeling! Congrats!
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:40 AM   #252
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Thanks guys, it really was a huge relief after all the wiring. I was pretty sure, but you never know. It is getting better every time I turn the key. First fire up it popped and farted, then started idling high (had to do idle relearn w/ drive by wire setup). Can't wait for it to settle down to programmed idle, I always like to try and challenge the ecm for lowest/choppiest sound but still run. The clutch safety switch and reverse lockout work too, those were on my mind. One thing that has me a little worried is using the widebands as my o2s. They output the correct nernst cell 0-1v signal the ECM is looking for, but they don't toggle like the stock sensors do. I'll know more once I get the cooling hooked up and it goes into closed loop.

No progress to report, tried weighing down the trunk with all kinds of stuff to get a "loaded" measurement on the driveshaft. Looks like I'm just going to pull the springs, shocks, and rotate the axle through it's motion to get a proper reading. Might was well do it right after all this. Car doesn't have interior, exhaust, hardly any gas in tank, suspension is new and unsettled, etc.

(EDIT) I'd fired the car up while all my daughter's friends were over. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THEM had their phones out. BUT, every single one of them took friggin snapchat videos.. Sheesus.. Had to download, convert, splice, etc. Will have a better video after I get cooling system hooked up.

Last edited by Hotwire; 04-04-2018 at 05:43 AM..
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:15 AM   #253
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
sweet!!!
Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM   #254
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Congrats man! Been a long project, but your attention to detail will surely pay off in the future in more ways than one. You'll be glad to pushed through all that you did. I can't wait to check this thing out too, hopefully you'll have it all buttoned up and Cars and Coffee worthy soon......give me a heads up and I'll head up there instead of my local one the same weekend.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2018, 05:09 AM   #255
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys,

Darren I'll definitely let you know, still have a bunch to do but I'm trying to knock it out as quickly as I can. Don't get your hopes too high, this thing is honestly a snaggle tooth.
Old 04-05-2018, 06:13 AM   #256
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
If its a snaggle tooth to you, its a pearly bitch.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 06:51 PM   #257
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
If its a snaggle tooth to you, its a pearly bitch.
Lol, well just keep it in mind when you see it in person.

Got my driveshaft ordered. Was trying to go through truck parts place that was 1/4 mile from work. Drivetrain guy kept on calling out so I ended up going to Oliver's driveshaft in Winston. They're popular with standing mile and rock crawler guys. Price wasn't any worse than other place, just 40 minute round trip.

Slamming stuff together as quick as I can. Got hydro boost and clutch master mounted to bracket, found some gasket material and put it to use.

Cut rod and got both pedals hooked up. Not super happy about offset of brake rod but it doesn't side load any when pushed. Clutch lines up nicely.

Got fans mounted to the radiator, went together nicely, just have to split vacuum hose and gasket where touching.

Now the ugly. Damn engine bay is starting to look like Medusa. Right now I'm going to run it as is with intention of bending new brake lines and get custom steering lines to clean it up. Tried to bench bleed master on car but 0 fluid in boost means no pedal.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:25 AM   #258
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Just ignore those light spots above it. Test fit Friday, to me it was short. Took it back yesterday and they're ordering a 1" longer slip yoke..

Suspension is torqued, pinion angle set. Fuel level sending unit changed out but may need to go back in and turn it, showing 1/2 tank.

Got cooling system buttoned up and filled, replaced e fan spade connectors with actual f body weather pack connectors and finished up e fan wiring.

Installed power steering pulley, used install tool and air drill to spin pump and flush system and chase air out, then sealed it up.

Bench bled brake master, fluid started coming out of piston, going tomorrow to swap it. Also notice hole in piston is super deep and larger than hydroboost pin. I need 80s vette master, not 70s chevelle master.

Went to install heater core, got soff seal setup, came with seals for the dampeners, started cutting spot welds on the heater box to clean it up and install the seals, then got distracted and started installing the exhaust. Just looping heater hoses for now.

I am trying to improve upon the exhaust hangers that were there originally, think I'm headed in the right direction.

How'd you like to put your life in the hands of that? Even the bolt threads were marred up and dragged when trying to turn the bolt.

I'm not happy with the results, but marking brake lines off the list..

It's getting closer, really helped to step away and sleep on how to make it work. Only kink is the tailpipe. Going to have to guesstimate the cut then take it somewhere to get it expanded. Could possibly use a butt band clamp but man it's tight back there.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:33 AM   #259
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
That's a whole lot of work to pull off on jackstands. Props to you!
Old 04-17-2018, 06:30 AM   #260
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
looking good
Old 04-17-2018, 07:54 PM   #261
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys, unfortunately I screwed up my shoulder while doing the jackstand work. Seeing Dr Thursday.

On a positive note, little Tuesday night thumping.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:16 PM   #262
Mwilson

getting closer
Old 04-21-2018, 08:49 PM   #263
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Yessir, I'm going full tilt.

Installed driveshaft, here's the long yoke installed. It does bottom out with at least an inch before you saddle the yoke, I'm ok with it.

Then was concerned about starting the engine and the rear turning.

Parking brake couldn't be hooked up, high dollar brp hot rods trans cross member had no provisions for the cable hook. Made my own.

Installed the steering column, gouged the hell out of it, also shortened up the gas pedal and got it even with the brake pedal. Will make shenanigans footwork easier.
Finished purging the hydro system and bled the brakes.

Exhaust is done, but not how I wanted. The tail pipes are retarded. The mufflers exit close to the frame, then the tailpipes go straight up against the coil springs, angle in towards the diff/control arms, run in front of the gas tank, etc. Just a pain in the ass with my shoulder.

So I did what I could

Worked on the idle tune, it's nice and steady at 700 rpm.

Last edited by Hotwire; 04-21-2018 at 08:52 PM..
Old 04-24-2018, 07:16 AM   #264
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Start of the resale red (or aneurysm red.. Or Volkswagen tornado red) application

Not too shabby for quick bondo and spray bomb, lol it'll be a different story when the paint levels out.

Done

And done. Was going to pull all the plastic off but there's trash behind the top masking tape.

Called the windshield guy. Should I be concerned that he laughed when he remembered my car? lol.
Old 04-24-2018, 07:19 AM   #265
Mwilson

sounds good and looking good, you painting the whole car?
Old 04-24-2018, 08:37 AM   #266
1wildcoupe
BigBlockPowa!!!!!

1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place
The car sounds really good, Jeff!! Cant wait to see it done and take a ride in it

1999 Silverado
1wildcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 05:15 AM   #267
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
sounds good and looking good, you painting the whole car?
Thank you, no, not at this time, it's not in the plan or budget. That was done w/ rattle can duplicolor, closest red I could find that matched the color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wildcoupe View Post
The car sounds really good, Jeff!! Cant wait to see it done and take a ride in it
Thanks Jaimie! You know what's up when I ask for your address again. It won't be a turbo'd power house, but hope it's at least entertaining.

I forgot how much the paint "tore" or broke? when I first removed the a-pillar covers..

Car has finally lost it's cocoon. Family stuff is kicking in, prob won't get garage time till Friday.

Old 04-26-2018, 05:49 AM   #268
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Boring stuff ahead.

Got some garage time last night. Installed a blade type AMG fuse inline on the battery cable in the trunk. Starting out I'm trying a 300 amp fuse to see how it holds up. Just want this car to be as safe as I can make it.

Steering joints are torqued, cotter pinned, and greased. I was sure to swing the tie rod adjuster bolts to clear everything. Sway bar is installed, one bracket bolt pulled out of the frame. Exhaust is lined up better and sealed up (driver's side rotated down during all my test fires), then fixed my lights issue.

Turns out the headlight switch doesn't like distributing ground (it now operates relays in the silverado fuse box instead of direct power to headlights), so I had to add a diode between the headlight and parking light pin to get the relays to turn on. I also screwed up the brake light wires. Had to swap them at the switch so brakes weren't on as soon as you plug them in. There wasn't a lot of room with a column in the way.

Was just getting ready to put the long blade on the sawzall to trim the back of the chevelle gauge bezel to start figuring out how to mount gauges when I realized what time it was. Hopefully more updates tonight.
Old 04-26-2018, 07:13 AM   #269
Mwilson

cant wait to see it out of the garage!
Old 04-28-2018, 07:01 PM   #270
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
cant wait to see it out of the garage!
Hoping tomorrow!!

Sanded the a pillar covers, screwed up the feathering, rushed through paint, rushed through assembly. Done.

Set the car on the ground, installed the fenders, and remembered how much I hate red.

I'll have to deal with this at some point.

Old 04-29-2018, 08:24 PM   #271
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

And the money shot. Been over a year in the making.

It's hard to maintain throttle when your sitting on a Michelin and the car is pulling hard.
Old 04-30-2018, 05:32 AM   #272
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Nice work Jeff. I bet it feels good to have it driving again
Old 04-30-2018, 06:58 AM   #273
Mwilson

very nice!!!
Old 04-30-2018, 08:07 AM   #274
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys, it was a bit sketchy. Hoping to get the seats installed in it but daughter's softball is going to be cutting back garage time.

This was my perch, tried to keep the throttle constant, it'd throw me back, I'd let off and it'd buck forward hitting the gas again. Lit the tires up in 2nd without trying.

Hopefully getting windshield installed tonight, just put insurance on it, going to dmv office tomorrow at lunch.
Old 04-30-2018, 10:04 AM   #275
Mwilson

lol been there

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu