HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 01-20-2020, 04:25 AM   #451
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
As always, car looks great! Liking the different backdrops
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2020, 05:28 PM   #452
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70 View Post
As always, car looks great! Liking the different backdrops
Thanks man, tried to get some shots today but need to head out earlier and beat the shadows.

Soap, water, and coat of wax does wonders.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2020, 06:17 AM   #453
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Drove the car around for Valentine's Day. Finally dry enough to enjoy it, also was an excuse to have some fun picking up and delivering the wife's presents. They've really engineered the cupcake holders which I'm thankful for.

The graffiti around Greensboro is rampant, damn near can't keep up with all the new stuf going up, but unfortunately as high level as it is there's dumbasses coming behind them and "marking" their signs on them.

I do finally have a real update!!

Went to the pullapart Sunday morning. They had a nice 05 GMC Sierra come in this week. I was positive it had the L33 (aluminum 5.3, flat top pistons, Z06 style heads), was going for the sole purpose of grabbing the 243 heads off of it. I have 317s on the car now, they flow identical to the 243s but have a screwed up combustion chamber so they're less efficient and lower the compression 1 full point. Unfortunately someone pulled the engine before I could get to it. They must have been out in the rain, so kudos to them.

Didn't want to go home empty handed so started searching their inventory and saw there was a 98 Camaro on the lot. It'd been there since 12/31 so I didn't have high hopes. It's a V6 car, BUT V6 and V8 had the same brake setup. Car was pretty much unmolested so I was able to grab every single piece of the brake hardware. Out the door for $202. Got all the brackets, hangers, fasteners, and e-brake cables as well. Wait till ya'll see the side by side against the stock 70 chevelle setup that's on there. This'll make a big difference.

Got home and started up part searches to get the needed items to install the brakes. Have 2 brackets coming from ebay and found billet hubs on craigslist 1.5 hrs away. Contacted the guy and met up with him last night. $140 for nice billet hubs, bearings, seals, caps, lug studs. Not a killer deal, but it was a nice ride out there. Forgot we'd put Life360 app on our phones to watch over our daughter. Wife took a screenshot of the 100+ mph warning she'd gotten. O

Hopefully will have cheap double bubble flaring tool and brake brackets in by end of week. Autocross is coming up but I think I'm going to wait on installing the brakes till after this event. Don't want to throw down then not be able to attend this meet. I'm super stoked about getting to romp through the cones!
Old 02-18-2020, 09:17 AM   #454
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Nice pick up on the brakes

If you are going to do any more hard brakelines ever in your future, do yourself a huge favor and buy this tool

I held off for a long time, but shouldn't have. It is the greatest tool ever.

Watch this video, it's only a min long, and will take you 1/2 that in real life..
PERFECT flair every time!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhFzJ6WjdWQ
Old 02-18-2020, 12:43 PM   #455
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man, I've lusted after that ever since it's come out, that the fender lip roller, and the contour sander are bucket list items for me.

I'm going to be using Copper Nickel when I redo the brake lines, should be ok with the cheap flaring tool for now.
Old 02-20-2020, 01:33 PM   #456
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Yea, that brake set up will be leaps and bounds better than what you have now! That's going to be killer!
https://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2020, 05:36 AM   #457
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbed440 View Post
Yea, that brake set up will be leaps and bounds better than what you have now! That's going to be killer!
Thanks man, I can't wait to see what'll do.

Brackets came in last night, just need hoses and I'll be ready to roll, will be getting them Monday. Will wait till after the autox event, don't want to miss it due to something stupid. Front brackets space the calipers out for the larger rotors, rear brackets are spacers so everything bolts up and calipers line up with rotors correctly.

Test the bubble flare tool. First one was offset, second, not too bad.

Went to the junkyard yesterday for a friend. Dude ran his truck completely out of ps fluid, literally melted the pump, reservoir, and heated/twisted/snapped the pump shaft in half. While I was there I was looking at different master cylinders to see what I should use. Wanted to grab the camaro master I got the brakes off of, but the cap was missing and hood open, no telling how much dust/water had gotten in, besides it had a very funky angle to it. I think the 80's vette master I'm running will be fine, just unsure if I'll need to run a proportioning valve.

If any of you have a good source for a replacement gasket for the master (old style GM with wire cages that snap on top of the cover) I'm all ears. Mine is leaking brake fluid all over the frame, reason I was thinking of going with newer plastic reservoir..

Last edited by Hotwire; 02-21-2020 at 05:44 AM..
Old 02-21-2020, 05:26 PM   #458
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
I'm doing the same brake swap to my S10 when ever I get around to the many things to do to it.
Old 02-24-2020, 04:07 AM   #459
Blue70

You already know how I feel about that style flairing tool, lol. Look how it chews up the line.

Bigger question though is, do you really need a bubble flare?
I have worked on a LOT of cars and do not recall a bubble flare even once.
Everything I have done has been double inverted flare.
I would just double check the part the tube is screwing into and verify
Inverted double on left, bubble on right. Just look to see if the pating part has a cone or is an inverted cone.

Last edited by Blue70; 02-24-2020 at 04:11 AM..
Old 02-24-2020, 04:13 AM   #460
Blue70

I am not sure which master style you have now, but is this the gasket you are looking for?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-42071

If not just search "Master Cylinder Gasket" and a ton come up.
Might even find it in the "help" section of your local autoparts store.
Old 02-26-2020, 06:09 AM   #461
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymec View Post
I'm doing the same brake swap to my S10 when ever I get around to the many things to do to it.
Do eet, you won't regret it. Check LKQ in your area. I got everything in the previous pic for $202 out the door. Rotors, calipers, pads, parking brake lines, brackets, etc. If you do go, bring a 12mm flare wrench. I've got every size BUT that one, and that's what GM used on the camaro. Have a set coming with that size.

Quote:
You already know how I feel about that style flairing tool, lol. Look how it chews up the line.

Bigger question though is, do you really need a bubble flare? ...
Man I appreciate the info. For the master cylinder and line lock (yea, that's going in when I redo the lines) it uses regular flares, but I'll be using stock 00 Camaro brake lines, they use bubble flares. I understand what you're saying about the dies chewing up the lines. The bubble die takes a bit more compression effort, these were quick tries to see how it does. I'm going to try and refine my approach to keep the lines from being scarred as bad. I will be using copper nickel, it's a lot softer than the practice lines, they're coated steel. It would be nice to go with braided custom lines, but making due with these for now.

Quote:
I am not sure which master style you have now, but is this the gasket you are looking for?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/rnb-42071

If not just search "Master Cylinder Gasket" and a ton come up.
Might even find it in the "help" section of your local autoparts store.
I'm using a double reservoir 80's corvette master, that's the gasket. The one that came with the reservoir is almost just hard plastic and it's not sealing very well. I was curious if anyone has come along with a silicone/aluminum gasket like the newer car mfgs are using? I'll try that rubber Dorman one you posted, can most likely grab it local, just have to check stock. Thank you!

Was off goofing Saturday, daughter wanted to stop by her friend's house. Bunch of kids lined up with their phones as I was leaving, looked like a bunch of zombies. Think I found a little bit of torque management left in my tune. I didn't get into it too hard as I don't want to break anything before the autocross this weekend so it is what it is. You may have to download to view, it's not very impressive.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1se...yDo9F8jErnLLrX
Old 03-02-2020, 05:13 AM   #462
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Vids from Saturday autocross:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?...ioXXK7lI8TO75A

Excuses..
500 treadwear tires and the cold were major downfalls. (Windy 46 degrees, there was snow on the ground when I left my house)
Had kids riding with me every pass, they did well but I didn't haven't any solo runs
I hacked it bad, so used to tight technical tracks I didn't know how to act on this fast open course. Was in 2nd entire run, hitting 60 crossing over into the slalom.
One kid was so excited to run I was trying to give him a ride, came into slalom too hot, got a cone, it knocked off my lower hose and coolant got under the rear tires.
Unfortunately shut the track down so they could clean it.

Had a great time with family and friends there, froze my ass off, got sun and wind burn, drove there, and drove home. It was a good day. Now I'm struggling with wanting to keep my car as the very comfortable Swiss army knife cruiser it is now, or save up for stiffer springs, shocks, and track wheels/tires.

*EDIT* IMG3650 movie was ride home, all the kids rode with wife because the chevelle is deafening on the highway. Had the cruise set on 70 when they came up beside me, clutched in, hit 3rd, and rolled out. Wished they'd filmed me a little further in 4th.

Img6624 is my daughter filming and my wife. You can hear the sheer concern and love in my wife's voice..
Old 03-03-2020, 07:53 AM   #463
Blue70

That sure looks like fun!
Old 03-04-2020, 05:27 AM   #464
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
That sure looks like fun!
Man, you have to try it, it's a blast. I'm pissed at myself for not keeping off the throttle and using the car more. My buddy who never drove my car took it out and ran a .8 second better lap time. So I have to get the driver mod done.

Started on the F-body brakes last night. I'm going to have to figure out spacers for the conversion brackets as I guess they aren't meant for drop disc spindles even though it lists them as "compatible".

Was deep into it when I got interrupted and called off to buff some dicks. Literally. Daughter of a family friend had some dumbass draw 2 penises on the hood of her 4runner, so I spent the remainder of the night cutting and buffing it.
Old 03-05-2020, 02:13 PM   #465
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Was deep into it when I got interrupted and called off to buff some dicks. Literally. Daughter of a family friend had some dumbass draw 2 penises on the hood of her 4runner, so I spent the remainder of the night cutting and buffing it.

sorry but that has me cracking up!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 05:19 AM   #466
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
sorry but that has me cracking up!
No worries man, that's what I'm here for.

No progress to report, school and travel ball have started back up.
Old 04-05-2020, 07:43 AM   #467
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

I feel ridiculous for pulling the car down to replace something that was functioning and spending money, but that's what the hobby is about right?

Just spent 4 weeks in purgatory replacing the almost complete braking system with 4 wheel disc off a 00 Camaro (LS1 big brake upgrade). Only thing that stayed was master cylinder and booster, everything else was replaced.

Cobbled it together trying to do it on a budget, lol.. While I was in there I drilled out the axles for larger lug studs, plumbed in a Hurst roll control solenoid, and cut 1/2 coil out of the rear springs to try and level out the ride some. It worked but think I'll be ordering stiffer springs in the near future.

Started out by trying to hide the junkyard ugliness. Made parking brake cable brackets out of 1/4" steel plate and 1" angle iron (what's hanging from the rake to dry)

Was worried about the 7/16" factory lug studs, so I found what I thought would be a bolt in change. Went with 80's Honda lug studs. Supposedly had the same knurled diameter so they would press right in, right? Wrong! Had to drill the axles out to get them to fit. Now I don't have to worry as much about studs snapping on me.

Pic of the inside of my Moser cover while it was off. It's a beefy unit with proper channels to get lube to your pinion bearing and axles. Highly recommend it!

Finished shot of parking cable routing. I'm happy with it and it works great, almost to the point of having to loosen the cable up a little, only have 2" of pedal travel! I'm glad I got all the hardware with the brakes from the pullapart. I cut the tabs for the rear brake hoses and welded them to the tubes. Mounts like it was factory.

After seeing this, I'm very glad I swapped out the brakes. I've found the limit of that setup and definitely got my money's worth out of them. They were brand new Napa rotors 13k hard miles ago. Think coolant might have splashed the pass rotor as it had a crack in the face of it. Very glad to have caught that before they fell apart (upper left)

Giggling like a little school girl on this on. Just have to wire it in now, going to save that for a rainy day.

And finally, the money shot. Car sits better now, but I can tell after not driving it for a while stiffer springs will be on order soon. Now it's time to put the garage back into shape and wash all the grinding dust/pollen off this ol girl.

Old 04-05-2020, 11:35 AM   #468
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
Hotwire, I already have 2 sets of fronts and 1 set of rear LS brakes. I will use the rears on the 8.5 rear for the S10. I picked it up from the LKQ in LaGrange a few years back No brakes on it. I machined my own hubs from some new rotors I bought with my brake lathe. I just need to cut some off the body of the hub to be the correct width. I have front and rear rotors from a brake job I did for a buddy on his Camaro. He upgraded the rotors and I saw nothing wrong with them, so I threw them back in the boxes and kept them! I have some GM pads that have red backing plates for the front LS . I think they were more of a performance pad. Grabbed those up when our dealership closed up.
Old 04-13-2020, 05:21 PM   #469
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Nice work man! Get that thing and gear and go for a ride! It's about the only thing you can do nowadays and not get hassled.
https://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2020, 03:53 AM   #470
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymec View Post
Hotwire, I already have 2 sets of fronts and 1 set of rear LS brakes. I will use the rears on the 8.5 rear for the S10. I picked it up from the LKQ in LaGrange a few years back No brakes on it. I machined my own hubs from some new rotors I bought with my brake lathe. I just need to cut some off the body of the hub to be the correct width. I have front and rear rotors from a brake job I did for a buddy on his Camaro. He upgraded the rotors and I saw nothing wrong with them, so I threw them back in the boxes and kept them! I have some GM pads that have red backing plates for the front LS . I think they were more of a performance pad. Grabbed those up when our dealership closed up.
Get r dun man, this was a great improvement over what was there. Was lifting my daughter out of the seat last night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbed440 View Post
Nice work man! Get that thing and gear and go for a ride! It's about the only thing you can do nowadays and not get hassled.
Thank you! I did take it out last night, was a bit weird with the lack of traffic. Grass is starting to grow out of the cracks in the backwoods roads from lack of traffic and the bugs are ridiculous. Buzzards and vultures were out too, gave me an excuse to try out the binders. Did a bit of a sunset cruise and didn't think about the bugs. Gas is down to 1.39 for 87.. wth.

Got a couple thumbs ups, daughter was happy to get to ride, and finally found the edge of the braking setup. Have to adjust the proportioning valve some, but man what a difference! I was getting roller coaster belly from the stopping power it has.

Had to wipe down the front and windshield when we got home, rag looked like a frog's smorgasbord.

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu