PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have Air Force job advice?

LS-Voodoo
12-22-2011, 04:14 PM
Come April Ill be headin off to basic, got an Qt score of 85 on my ASVAB. 98 on mech and a 95 on elec. so iv got a TON on jobs in those areas. Admin was a 82 and science 88, Im a mecanic by profession and I want to learn a new skill set while in active duty so when I get out I have another career path possible. Lookin at all intel jobs, unmanned operator, air traffic control, cryptologic linguist as well as airbourn cryptologic linguist. If I need to Ill do elec and mech work on planes, I dont think being a crew cheif or a flight engineer wouldnt be to bad. I do want to travel a bit so im not opposed to jobs that will see deployment (I understand it wont be in sight seeing areas) but to experience other culters I feel it will broaden my perspective on alot of things, mostly just how good we have it in the good ol U S of A. Anyway if you have had or are serving in a AFSC and want to give a review Id def. appreciate it. Not lookin at Spec ops jobs at this time (TAcP, pararescue, combat control ect) as you can be kicked out of the Air Force if you fail training or so im told.

CMitchell
12-22-2011, 05:11 PM
I was in the Air Force and my job was A.G.E areospace ground equipment.
Seemed like I worked on every damn thing. It was an ok job.

HardcoreABN
12-22-2011, 05:18 PM
I have several friends who are JTACS, you do not get a dishonorable discharge for failing. They send you to a different school. The only way to get a dishonorable discharge is being convicted by a Courts Martial. Who ever told you that lied to you.

LS-Voodoo
12-22-2011, 06:16 PM
I have several friends who are JTACS, you do not get a dishonorable discharge for failing. They send you to a different school. The only way to get a dishonorable discharge is being convicted by a Courts Martial. Who ever told you that lied to you.
My recruiter told me that, i mentioned I was intrested in TAcP and right off the bat he said "I usally steer people away from Spec Ops unless they only want that one job". Then he went on to say if I was to not make it out of the training that I could be kicked out of the Air Force altogether. It is what it is, Im lookin for a challenge something to make me push myself, not lookin to breeze by and get drunk on my off time. Im gonna be putting in my time and doin volunteer work on my off duty time. Not lookin to mess around

HardcoreABN
12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
If that is what you want, do it. Talk to a different recruiter, he is blowing smoke up your ass because he has a list of "priority" jobs he has to try to funnel people into.

SLOW88LX
12-22-2011, 06:35 PM
I am A.G.E. Areospace Ground Equipment Mechanic, we work on all the support equipment for the aircraft. I have enjoyed it for the past 19 years 9 months. Like mentioned we work on about everything. Generation, neumatics, hydraulics, Airconditioning, heating, electrical of all sorts 60hz and 400hz. Work 1 cylinder to detroit 53 series engines. I can only suggest do not become a cop or crew chief!!

THNKTWCE
12-22-2011, 06:37 PM
I am A.G.E. Areospace Ground Equipment Mechanic, we work on all the support equipment for the aircraft. I have enjoyed it for the past 19 years 9 months. Like mentioned we work on about everything. Generation, neumatics, hydraulics, Airconditioning, heating, electrical of all sorts 60hz and 400hz. Work 1 cylinder to detroit 53 series engines. I can only suggest do not become a cop or crew chief!!

Security Forces?

Alansvt
12-22-2011, 06:51 PM
QT score is that only for air force or did you mean GT score?

Alansvt
12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
also I never heard of people getting dishonorable discharge for failing out. I would have thought they would have just made you reclass.

LS-Voodoo
12-22-2011, 06:53 PM
Whats wrong with being a crew cheif? Care to elaborate? Got a friend that is a crew cheif on heavies and he loves it. granted hes stationed in Georgia and only has 7 or so planes.

msydnor
12-22-2011, 06:55 PM
My recruiter told me that, i mentioned I was intrested in TAcP and right off the bat he said "I usally steer people away from Spec Ops unless they only want that one job". Then he went on to say if I was to not make it out of the training that I could be kicked out of the Air Force altogether. It is what it is, Im lookin for a challenge something to make me push myself, not lookin to breeze by and get drunk on my off time. Im gonna be putting in my time and doin volunteer work on my off duty time. Not lookin to mess around

That is an outright lie!

Intel jobs: Work with them alot now and for many years. Intel is a pretty slate job. You sit behind locked doors reading a lot of secret shit. You deploy, but you are often with a headquarter element (that a good thing) When deployed, intel generally has it made in the shade. IMO, intel is very interesting. Intel analyst on the outside generally start at $70K and up. When not deploy, work ours are 0730 to 1630

Unmanned operator: I'm guessing this is drones. I recently had a guy retrain out if SF into it. He seem to think it cool. I don't personally know much about it.

Air Traffic Control: decent pay on the outside and no shortage of work. Can be stressful at larger Air Fields. You will see shift work a lot

Cryptologic Linguist. Cool very interesting job. Pay on the outside starts about the same as intel. Actually, this is one of those jobs, just like intel, that when you get out, you will likely be still working for DoD as a civilian or another federal agency.

Electric and Mech work on planes and crew cheif: Shift work, unappreciated. There are some guys here that can probably fill you in on this.

LS-Voodoo
12-22-2011, 06:56 PM
QT score is that only for air force or did you mean GT score?
That im not sure of as some abbriviations are diff per branch but its the overall score
also I never heard of people getting dishonorable discharge for failing out. I would have thought they would have just made you reclass.
I changed my wording in the OP as I do not beleive I wrote that correctly but I was told that you could be removed from the AF altogether but dont know how true that is.

msydnor
12-22-2011, 07:00 PM
Whats wrong with being a crew cheif? Care to elaborate? Got a friend that is a crew cheif on heavies and he loves it. granted hes stationed in Georgia and only has 7 or so planes.

You work hard. You work weekend and holidays, you work various shifts. When everyone else is off for the weekend or holiday, you're on the flightline. Others are in Air Conditioned offices, you're on teh TARMAC in 115 degree heat. Same for Security Forces. I was SF for my entire career and wouldn't do anything different, but it's not for everyone.

msydnor
12-22-2011, 07:02 PM
That im not sure of as some abbriviations are diff per branch but its the overall score

I changed my wording in the OP as I do not beleive I wrote that correctly but I was told that you could be removed from the AF altogether but dont know how true that is.

Unless something changed in the last 30 years, you would just get a different career field if you flunk out. You'll end up either in services or security forces most likely. Or what ever the AF needs to fill the most at the time.

CMitchell
12-22-2011, 07:19 PM

Shit man, we had to run across each other. Basic in 90 (3743) and chanute for tec school. Kadina in 91 then back to chanute for a few years to finish my time. I should have stayed in and retired.

edz
12-22-2011, 07:25 PM
Air traffic control. With experience you can hire directly into the FAA when discharged. Controllers at busy facilities make $150K+. Retire at 55 and your military time counts.

SLOW88LX
12-22-2011, 07:54 PM
You work hard. You work weekend and holidays, you work various shifts. When everyone else is off for the weekend or holiday, you're on the flightline. Others are in Air Conditioned offices, you're on teh TARMAC in 115 degree heat. Same for Security Forces. I was SF for my entire career and wouldn't do anything different, but it's not for everyone.

The crew chiefs for fighters get beat down everyday! 12+ hour shifts what seems everyday, dont get me wrong they piss me off almost everyday being idiots when it comes to running our equipment. Now as far as being a security forces or law enforcement. Watch dog on the flightline or busy using radar on cars going 30mph on base!!

BoTiS
12-22-2011, 07:55 PM
Join the Army, then you can have a massive cock like me.

SLOW88LX
12-22-2011, 07:58 PM
Shit man, we had to run across each other. Basic in 90 (3743) and chanute for tec school. Kadina in 91 then back to chanute for a few years to finish my time. I should have stayed in and retired.

March 91 basic, left Chanute Sept 91 on to K.I. Sawyer AFB

HardcoreABN
12-22-2011, 08:05 PM
oh shit son KI....been there many times, have friends from the UP

oscar80
12-22-2011, 11:25 PM
I was a 3C0 they changed that to 3d0 or something now. Its working with computer networks and software. I liked it and it transferred to a civialian job pretty well.

My first troop got washed out of pararescue and cross trained into my career.

Dave

5.0 Fox
12-22-2011, 11:56 PM
Stay away from maintenance career fields. My AFSC is 2W0 (Munitions Systems or Ammo) and we get worked to death and its usually unappreciated. It's a cool job but it can be pretty stressful, as is the same with other maintenance jobs (crew chief, AGE, etc.). Intel is pretty legit from everyone I have talked to who does it and so is ATC. And your recruiter is an idiot, failing out of any job training doesn't get you kicked out. The DoD already spent tons on money on you getting you in and through BMT so they won't just drop you, they will find a place for you to get their money's worth.

Paul

CAMELEON
12-23-2011, 12:20 AM
Whatever you decide, get everything in writing! The recruiter can promise you the world, but if it aint on your enlistment papers it probably is not going to happen.

teenVette
12-23-2011, 12:40 AM
I was a 3C0 they changed that to 3d0 or something now. Its working with computer networks and software. I liked it and it transferred to a civialian job pretty well.

My first troop got washed out of pararescue and cross trained into my career.

Dave

That's exactly what I am too. When I first joined the reenlistment bonus was 60k, but they took that away when the economy tanked. But it still is a great job. I got out after 6 years with a TS clearance and a great paying job. I'm still in the National Guard to keep my clearance updated, and to work on another retirement. If I had to do it all over again, I wouldn't pick any other job

SuperStock99
12-23-2011, 03:56 AM
Does this mean your parting out your car?.......;)

LS-Voodoo
12-23-2011, 06:58 AM
Does this mean your parting out your car?.......;)
Hell to the no, but im sure with so many scavengers around that when I get back from basic all that will be in my drive way will be a unibody on bricks lol

project_LS1
12-23-2011, 08:10 AM
I'm a crew chief on a Blackhawk in the Army and freaking love it. There is a ton of work and always switching from days to nights. But you actually get out and do some badass missions with some badass people. Plus its cool to work and fix the helicopter then turn around and go fly on it. Its sweet to do a one wheel landing on top of a house or mountain top, or hover above and fast rope people in. I've known 2 AF guys that were C130 crew chiefs and they loved it. But like Mike said, its a lot of hard work, seems unappreciated, and a lot of shift work. That flight line gets hot in the summer and cold in the winter! Its not for everybody.

HardcoreABN
12-23-2011, 08:17 AM
I think the best part of being a C130 or C17 crewchief would be putting out Paratroopers, heavy drops, and CDS bundles

teenVette
12-23-2011, 08:28 AM
Being a mechanic is one of the most unappreciated jobs in the military, but it's one of those jobs the military would be nothing without.

HardcoreABN
12-23-2011, 08:43 AM
yea, I am done with military maintenance. Getting a new MOS

BLKSCLS1Z
12-23-2011, 09:15 AM
There are plenty of Intel jobs on the civilian side if that's the route you choose. Military experience alone will get you pretty far, but most agency jobs will require a degree.

msydnor
12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
There are plenty of Intel jobs on the civilian side if that's the route you choose. Military experience alone will get you pretty far, but most agency jobs will require a degree.

Not if you have equivalent work experience, which he would have. If you do intel for years in the AF, you can get into most federal intel related jobs. Degree helps though. I would think if he goes in, he will be smart enough to go to school and have his degree before he gets out. Since intel jobs have pretty set work hours and predictable deployment schedules, there is no reason he should be able to take plenty of classes on active duty once he completes his 5 level.

LS-Voodoo
12-23-2011, 11:03 AM
Not if you have equivalent work experience, which he would have. If you do intel for years in the AF, you can get into most federal intel related jobs. Degree helps though. I would think if he goes in, he will be smart enough to go to school and have his degree before he gets out. Since intel jobs have pretty set work hours and predictable deployment schedules, there is no reason he should be able to take plenty of classes on active duty once he completes his 5 level.
This is the plan, If I get crypto then I could use that schooling toward a language degree. There is no reason other than my work ethic once I get in that I should not have a degree

msydnor
12-23-2011, 04:44 PM
This is the plan, If I get crypto then I could use that schooling toward a language degree. There is no reason other than my work ethic once I get in that I should not have a degree

Just you mandatory AF schools and upgrade training will get you close to half way to a bacholers degree. Usually you only have to take a math class and a hand full of other basic classes to get your associates. Most based have places on base to take classes and you can also do online stuff. I know, my dumb ass didn't get my shit done. I was out before I got my Bachelors. I could have probably had a couple different degrees if I had been smarter.

LS-Voodoo
12-24-2011, 10:34 PM
Just you mandatory AF schools and upgrade training will get you close to half way to a bacholers degree. Usually you only have to take a math class and a hand full of other basic classes to get your associates. Most based have places on base to take classes and you can also do online stuff. I know, my dumb ass didn't get my shit done. I was out before I got my Bachelors. I could have probably had a couple different degrees if I had been smarter.
I have a year at NC State toward a Engineering degree but ran out of funding. Once im in I hope to use those towards some sort of degree. It may sound cliche but Ill be one of the few to get a college degree in my family and thats VERY important for me. Thanks for the info guys, really has helped

msydnor
12-25-2011, 10:38 PM
I have a year at NC State toward a Engineering degree but ran out of funding. Once im in I hope to use those towards some sort of degree. It may sound cliche but Ill be one of the few to get a college degree in my family and thats VERY important for me. Thanks for the info guys, really has helped

Not cliche at all, so was I. I didn't get mine until I was 40 something after I retired but still got it done. My mom was super proud. They all grew up in a time where school wasn't important and was lucky to go after elementary school.

With the credits you already have, after tech school and upgrade training you may be very close to having your Community College of the Air Force Degree (CCAF). It is an associates degree and specific to your career field. Don't take it light and get it done. It is easy and it's a degree. As soon as that's done, start on your bachelors. If you stay past 4 years it will help your with career progression, if not, you got a free degree for stuff you had to do anyway. I wish I had taken my own advise when I was young.

CAMELEON
12-26-2011, 07:00 AM
I wish I had taken my own advise when I was young.

Most people have no idea how true this is. My one true regret in life is not taking advantage of the educational opportunities that were avalable to me, especially at sea.

teenVette
12-26-2011, 08:02 AM

I feel the same way. I took some classes when I was Active Duty, I wish I would have taken some more since it was free for me. :scratch:
Go in the Air Force in a career that you will enjoy, if you don't like it, you can't change immediately. You have a certain amount of time before you re-enlist that you can change your AFSB (career).

BoTiS
12-26-2011, 08:12 AM

Fact

melo yelo
12-26-2011, 08:29 AM
Hope you didn't sign an open contract.

LS-Voodoo
12-27-2011, 11:12 AM
Hope you didn't sign an open contract.
i have not signed a contract yet, MEPS date is Jan 12th. Care to elaborate on what an "open" contract is? It was explained to me that it will list the 10 jobs that i pick and im guaranteed 1 of those 10.

HardcoreABN
12-27-2011, 11:20 AM
an "open contract" will let the air force decide what job you get, regardless of what your preference is. Also known as the "sucker's" contract

LS-Voodoo
12-27-2011, 11:54 AM
an "open contract" will let the air force decide what job you get, regardless of what your preference is. Also known as the "sucker's" contract
Nope def wont be signing a contract like that, nor any that have apptitude area as a selection. If it isnt a list of the 10 jobs I select then my signature will not be one it.

HardcoreABN
12-27-2011, 12:06 PM
do not sign unless it is THE job you want. when they see you walking out they will probably suddenly find an opening

CAMELEON
12-27-2011, 02:28 PM
do not sign unless it is THE job you want. when they see you walking out they will probably suddenly find an opening

Unless you really do not care which of the 10 jobs you get, this is the statement to remember.

Otherwise , the recruiter will get you into the one that he needs to have filled the most not the one you want the most. I had a great recruiter that honestly seemed to care about the people he brought in but got the schools I wanted gauranteed in my contract. Also, bear in mind that if you fail out of class, you get thrown to the wolves as a warm body (at least that is how it was when I was in)

LS-Voodoo
12-27-2011, 04:10 PM
Unless you really do not care which of the 10 jobs you get, this is the statement to remember.

Otherwise , the recruiter will get you into the one that he needs to have filled the most not the one you want the most. I had a great recruiter that honestly seemed to care about the people he brought in but got the schools I wanted gauranteed in my contract. Also, bear in mind that if you fail out of class, you get thrown to the wolves as a warm body (at least that is how it was when I was in)
The way it was explained is to help speed up the process of being shipped out. I wont head to boot camp until there is a job opening, so if I only list 1 then more than likely itll be a long wait. So the more I list the better my chances, Im ready to go today, ready to get everything goin.

HardcoreABN
12-27-2011, 04:39 PM
dont do it...

melo yelo
12-27-2011, 04:49 PM
Stand firm on the job selection if that is your primary focus, but but if your main concern is to get wheels up and get things rollin you may want to open your mind up as to jobs open. I mean they could lay ten jobs in front of you and they all be crap are you prepared to take a crap job just to get out of here or what?

I just came off of recruiting duty for the Army about two months ago, so I still have a pretty good understanding of how the process works. Anyways best of luck.

CAMELEON
12-27-2011, 06:27 PM
I qualified for every school the Navy had to offer including Nuclear Power. I waited 8 months to get the schools I wanted (Advanced Electronics). I met a lot of people who were unhappy with what they were doing and had to suck it up until it was time to re-enlist (they are VERY flexible when it is time to again sign on the bottom line). I can not speak for the air force (probably not even for the modern navy) , but when I was in, it was a whole lot easier to get good schools BEFORE you sign your life away.

You have to decide if getting what you want out of the military experience is worth more to you than starting that experience now.

msydnor
12-27-2011, 06:55 PM
Most people have no idea how true this is. My one true regret in life is not taking advantage of the educational opportunities that were avalable to me, especially at sea.

I have a lot of good advice to give, not because I'm some genius, but because I fucked up a lot when I was young. :)

msydnor
12-27-2011, 07:06 PM
The way it was explained is to help speed up the process of being shipped out. I wont head to boot camp until there is a job opening, so if I only list 1 then more than likely itll be a long wait. So the more I list the better my chances, Im ready to go today, ready to get everything goin.

If you want a specific job, it's best to wait it out. That whole 10 jobs thing is a crock. Yeah, you'll get one of the 10 most likely, but some of the ones on you list will not be all that attractive. The one you get is the one the AF needs to fill most, no the one you like best.

CAMELEON
12-27-2011, 09:10 PM
I have a lot of good advice to give, not because I'm some genius, but because I fucked up a lot when I was young. :)

Too soon old and too late smart. Hopefully, some of the people starting out will at least listen to and evaluate our experiences and use that information to help them make better choices even if they choose to do other than what we suggest.

speedsun
12-27-2011, 10:02 PM
3d, 1a, or 1n jobs. Stay away from anything 2a related.

LS-Voodoo
12-28-2011, 11:27 AM
If you want a specific job, it's best to wait it out. That whole 10 jobs thing is a crock. Yeah, you'll get one of the 10 most likely, but some of the ones on you list will not be all that attractive. The one you get is the one the AF needs to fill most, no the one you like best.
Thats why im only listing jobs im intrested in, Iv got the so called "critical" list but was told its last months. I understand their purpose is to get jobs filled and not make the canadits happy but like I said it will be a list of jobs that im intrested in, not ones I use to fill in blank spaces. If I only find 5 that intrest me then they are only getting a list of 5 and those will be in my contract no more and no less. Yes im pushing to get the wheels rollin but not at the cost of opportunites that Im seeking. I dont sign things I dont agree with.

Jlrj1985
12-28-2011, 11:43 AM
I am a 2A7X1 which pretty much boils down to a machinst/welder. We support just about anyone, from AGE to Crewchiefs. We pretty much are the ones that everyone calls when something is fucked and need it fixed. We don't work like crew chiefs but are maintainers. Machinist/Welders are easy jobs to know or fall back to when you get out of the military.

idrv240
01-09-2012, 09:38 AM
I just went through BMT in Jul-Sep 2010. I had so much fun I stayed for 2 extra weeks (dehydration sent me to med hold because the resident doc was a tard). Msydnor has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the USAF so definitely pay attention to what he is telling you.

I do want to clarify a few things though. Things have changed with the way the economy went and they are still changing. Keep in mind that this is based off of how it was in 2010-11 and it very well may have changed in this short amount of time but I doubt it. The battlefield airman jobs (cct, sowt, pj, tacp) have a difficult tech school and many people drop out expecting to cross train. The USAF is going through a time of downsizing and has certain rules regarding the cross training. I am not sure what the official rules are but it is basically a case by case basis of whether or not they cross train you or kick you out (general discharge). I believe if you drop out of PJ indoc in the first 2 weeks then you are discharged. Medical DQ is case by case, can they keep you is the first question they ask.

Also, when I was doing the Recruiters Assistance Program, I was working at MEPS. The recruiters were having everyone sign up for an open aptitude. From how I understood it, they will try their hardest to get you a slot you want but they have a time limit as to which they have to get you in the door. If they can't get you within that limit then they have the open slot. I actually did what's called quick ship. My recruiter (used to be at the Raleigh office) called me up and asked if I was willing to quick ship. He would call me with a slot that someone else had and for whatever reason couldn't go at the last minute. The first 2 he offered me fell through and the person ended up going. The third was an open general position and I jumped on it because I was ready to go. You are given a list in the 3rd week with an unknown number of jobs. If they have 20 open jobs you will see 20... if they have 5 you see 5. You select 8 jobs that you would like but only 3 can require special processing (flight physical for a flying position, PAST test for a BA job, etc). You order them from 1-8 in the order you prefer and they fill the slots based off of ASVAB scores. The higher you score the more likely you are to get it. My list had all the BA jobs, 2 intel jobs, UAV system operator, paralegal (only offered through open general or cross training), photography, security forces, and a bunch of other random ones. I think it was around 20 jobs total. They will not just throw you in secfo like people seem to think. Secfo was 8th on my list and I have a BA in Criminal Justice but they put me in my 4th selection which is my current job now. The downside is you don't find out what you got until the last week you are there.

I am a medical technician (4N0X1) working in flight medicine. My job is basically the do all be all of the med group. We can work in almost any clinic or ward. We are trained as EMTs and if you are stationed in the right location and work in the right ward you can challenge the LPN boards. For instance, ICU techs in California can become LPNs if they pass the test. It can be an extremely rewarding job but it can also be a very difficult job.

If you want to travel then go for a flying job. The medics on flight status and the IDMTs (basically a specialist in my field) go all over the world. Linguist is a good job but a really long tech school. One of my friends from BMT is still in there I think. Intel jobs are great and open doors for the outside. Whatever job you get, do it to the best of your abilities.

idrv240
01-09-2012, 09:43 AM
Oh and one more thing, the day I left Sheppard when I graduated tech school 40 people were told they would be discharged for failing out of tech school. They failed the NREMT exam too many times and were not allowed to reclass. It's stupid but that's how things were done. I think only 2 people the whole time I was there were allowed to reclass and several went to the guard or reserve.

msydnor
01-09-2012, 09:45 AM
I just went through BMT in Jul-Sep 2010. I had so much fun I stayed for 2 extra weeks (dehydration sent me to med hold because the resident doc was a tard). Msydnor has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to the USAF so definitely pay attention to what he is telling you.

I do want to clarify a few things though. Things have changed with the way the economy went and they are still changing. Keep in mind that this is based off of how it was in 2010-11 and it very well may have changed in this short amount of time but I doubt it. The battlefield airman jobs (cct, sowt, pj, tacp) have a difficult tech school and many people drop out expecting to cross train. The USAF is going through a time of downsizing and has certain rules regarding the cross training. I am not sure what the official rules are but it is basically a case by case basis of whether or not they cross train you or kick you out (general discharge). I believe if you drop out of PJ indoc in the first 2 weeks then you are discharged. Medical DQ is case by case, can they keep you is the first question they ask.

Also, when I was doing the Recruiters Assistance Program, I was working at MEPS. The recruiters were having everyone sign up for an open aptitude. From how I understood it, they will try their hardest to get you a slot you want but they have a time limit as to which they have to get you in the door. If they can't get you within that limit then they have the open slot. I actually did what's called quick ship. My recruiter (used to be at the Raleigh office) called me up and asked if I was willing to quick ship. He would call me with a slot that someone else had and for whatever reason couldn't go at the last minute. The first 2 he offered me fell through and the person ended up going. The third was an open general position and I jumped on it because I was ready to go. You are given a list in the 3rd week with an unknown number of jobs. If they have 20 open jobs you will see 20... if they have 5 you see 5. You select 8 jobs that you would like but only 3 can require special processing (flight physical for a flying position, PAST test for a BA job, etc). You order them from 1-8 in the order you prefer and they fill the slots based off of ASVAB scores. The higher you score the more likely you are to get it. My list had all the BA jobs, 2 intel jobs, UAV system operator, paralegal (only offered through open general or cross training), photography, security forces, and a bunch of other random ones. I think it was around 20 jobs total. They will not just throw you in secfo like people seem to think. Secfo was 8th on my list and I have a BA in Criminal Justice but they put me in my 4th selection which is my current job now. The downside is you don't find out what you got until the last week you are there.

I am a medical technician (4N0X1) working in flight medicine. My job is basically the do all be all of the med group. We can work in almost any clinic or ward. We are trained as EMTs and if you are stationed in the right location and work in the right ward you can challenge the LPN boards. For instance, ICU techs in California can become LPNs if they pass the test. It can be an extremely rewarding job but it can also be a very difficult job.

If you want to travel then go for a flying job. The medics on flight status and the IDMTs (basically a specialist in my field) go all over the world. Linguist is a good job but a really long tech school. One of my friends from BMT is still in there I think. Intel jobs are great and open doors for the outside. Whatever job you get, do it to the best of your abilities.

Glad you posted up man. Haven't heard from you in a while. Sounds like things worked out pretty well. Are you in Joke a nawa (Okinawa)

adamsgto2004
01-09-2012, 10:31 AM
I'm a crew chief for fighters, don't do it a lot of hours and time away from family...

THNKTWCE
01-09-2012, 11:05 AM
What are the better intel jobs, and what are the ones to avoid?

idrv240
01-11-2012, 06:37 AM
Glad you posted up man. Haven't heard from you in a while. Sounds like things worked out pretty well. Are you in Joke a nawa (Okinawa)

Yeah I don't get on here much anymore. I've been on Okinawa since the end of March. Usually if I'm online I'm on Facebook keeping in touch with the family. I try to get out and make the most of the island with all the stuff there is to do around here. It's too easy to get island fever if you stay in the dorm room all weekend.

msydnor
01-11-2012, 07:15 AM
What are the better intel jobs, and what are the ones to avoid?

Intel is the career field (MOS). If you chose Intel you could be doing any number of things. At some point, depending on how long you stay in, you will do most everything there is to do for the career field. I know several intel people if you ever want to chat with one.

msydnor
01-11-2012, 07:18 AM
Yeah I don't get on here much anymore. I've been on Okinawa since the end of March. Usually if I'm online I'm on Facebook keeping in touch with the family. I try to get out and make the most of the island with all the stuff there is to do around here. It's too easy to get island fever if you stay in the dorm room all weekend.

I take it you have not seen the snake lady and the chick shooting bananas out of her twat. I'm assuming that stuff is still there on the island somewhere. If you get to bored look into catching a hop to Korea for a few days. We use to hit the Phillipines also.

idrv240
01-31-2012, 07:12 AM
Yeah the banana show is still here... right outside the gate actually haha. The night I went there were a couple of Marines celebrating one of them turning 20. She pulled him on stage and his buddies held his legs down while she had her way with him and then dropped a banana on his face. It was the grossest thing I've ever watched but I was crying from laughing the whole time.

msydnor
01-31-2012, 08:34 AM
Yeah the banana show is still here... right outside the gate actually haha. The night I went there were a couple of Marines celebrating one of them turning 20. She pulled him on stage and his buddies held his legs down while she had her way with him and then dropped a banana on his face. It was the grossest thing I've ever watched but I was crying from laughing the whole time.

Wow, nothing has changed since the 80s.

LS-Voodoo
01-31-2012, 08:30 PM
Thanks for the info guys, I got thru MEPS and have sworn in but am in the DEP untill I get a call that a job opening has come along. I failed the depth perception test so alot of the jobs that I wanted were off limits such as imagery analaysis. I was shocked at how many kids didnt have a clue about what jobs they wanted. Guy sittin next to me had no clue what the job titles ment, just shocking.

idrv240
02-01-2012, 07:00 AM
Thanks for the info guys, I got thru MEPS and have sworn in but am in the DEP untill I get a call that a job opening has come along. I failed the depth perception test so alot of the jobs that I wanted were off limits such as imagery analaysis. I was shocked at how many kids didnt have a clue about what jobs they wanted. Guy sittin next to me had no clue what the job titles ment, just shocking.

How bad did you fail depth perception? A lot of jobs say they require it but they'll take waivers if you ever try to cross train into it. I don't think you can get a waiver coming in as a civilian. You might be able to if you pass at MEPS and then fail it at BMT.

melo yelo
02-01-2012, 07:57 PM

You signed a contract w/o a job locked in!?