HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > Car Talk

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 01-28-2009, 11:38 AM   #1
1fast400
Fucker got booted!

1fast400 might have posted something useful at one time
Do you have to get your car inspected in the county it is registered in?

I'm assuming you do. I just know 48 counties have OBD requirements and the others don't.
1fast400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:43 AM   #2
Jayber
hpj has been

Jayber is a good little Junkie
no but the rules are for the county its registered in.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:07 PM   #3
1fast400
Fucker got booted!

Meaning if it's registered in a county, regardless of where you get it inspected, they have to follow those rules?
Old 01-28-2009, 12:22 PM   #4
Jayber
hpj has been

Jayber is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1fast400 View Post
Meaning if it's registered in a county, regardless of where you get it inspected, they have to follow those rules?
That is correct.
Old 01-28-2009, 05:16 PM   #5
riceca

riceca has no rep around here.
Send a message via AIM to riceca Send a message via Yahoo to riceca
Yes...It doesnt matter what county it is. We get people from alot of different counties getting inspected where I work.

lata
CHRIS
Old 01-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #6
1fast400
Fucker got booted!

I believe if a car is stored in a county outside of where you live, you can list that on the registration and the car would be subject to the taxes and emission standards in that county. Sound right?
Old 01-28-2009, 07:23 PM   #7
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Send a message via AIM to RichardCranium
Quote:
I believe if a car is stored in a county outside of where you live, you can list that on the registration and the car would be subject to the taxes and emission standards in that county. Sound right?
Have to ask the DMV that one. I think it will require a mailing address........to register it in a particular county. As for getting inspected.......yes, you can get it inspected in any county, regardless of where it is registered. And we can also inspect vehicles from out of state, if the owner chooses to do so. (I know some military bases require current insp's).
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:27 PM   #8
cptbimes
They call me the mastadon

cptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this place
Send a message via AIM to cptbimes
It has to be inspected in the county you pay taxes on the vehicle in, which requires a PO box basically.

Emissions or just safety only is county based and the station must be able to do emission inspections to get it inspected at that particular station.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:38 PM   #9
1fast400
Fucker got booted!

Damn AEM is causing me problems . It's worth it though.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #10
riceca

Quote:
Originally Posted by cptbimes View Post
It has to be inspected in the county you pay taxes on the vehicle in, which requires a PO box basically.

Emissions or just safety only is county based and the station must be able to do emission inspections to get it inspected at that particular station.
Refer to above post...We get cars in everyday from 4-5 different counties. You dont have to get your car inspected in the county that you pay taxes in or whatever you meant. It doesnt matter.

lata
CHRIS
Old 01-28-2009, 07:51 PM   #11
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
It has to be inspected in the county you pay taxes on the vehicle in......
Does NOT have to be inspected in the county you are registered in. And I don't think there are any NC licensed inspection stations that aren't capable of doing both OBD2 and safety inspections. I am pretty sure you as a station, are required to purchase your own inspection machine.....and maintain it. Could be wrong there....
Old 01-28-2009, 08:24 PM   #12
03blackgt

03blackgt best poster evAr!!!!!!11103blackgt best poster evAr!!!!!!11103blackgt best poster evAr!!!!!!11103blackgt best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Believe it or not there are a few stations that still do saftey only. You can get your car inspected in any of the 100 counties. If your registered in an emmissions county, you will get emmissions testing no matter where u get it inspected.

If the car is "stored" in a different county, you are still required to get whatever your county requires. Only exception is if the car is say out of state for example while your in college or deployed, you can get a 12 month waiver but ONLY with the proper proof etc.

Im an inspector and to be totally honest, the DMV has really done their homework and have made getting around it VERY VERY difficult, if not impossible in most cases.

'04 Silverado LT Z71
03blackgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 08:31 PM   #13
riceca

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03blackgt View Post
Believe it or not there are a few stations that still do saftey only. You can get your car inspected in any of the 100 counties. If your registered in an emmissions county, you will get emmissions testing no matter where u get it inspected.
I agree with you there. There are a few counties still out there. There are even a few places out there that still do safety inspections by hand. As in they dont have a computer at all. There was a guy in my class last time we renewed that had a bike shop and did them by hand.

lata
CHRIS
Old 01-28-2009, 08:45 PM   #14
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03blackgt View Post
Im an inspector and to be totally honest, the DMV has really done their homework and have made getting around it VERY VERY difficult, if not impossible in most cases.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:04 AM   #15
cptbimes
They call me the mastadon

cptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this placecptbimes is without a doubt too mature for this place
Send a message via AIM to cptbimes
Quote:
Originally Posted by riceca View Post
Refer to above post...We get cars in everyday from 4-5 different counties. You dont have to get your car inspected in the county that you pay taxes in or whatever you meant. It doesnt matter.

lata
CHRIS

yeah what I meant was it has to be inspected by the rules of the county its registered in.

Cause i'm registered in Pitt county and I take my shit to my home county all the time cause they dont give a shit about cats. lol
Old 01-29-2009, 06:05 AM   #16
DSM Turbos
DNKYPNCH!

DSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Damn AEM is causing me problems . It's worth it though.
I would think underground could help you with this issue, but yeah, either register in 1 of 2? counties that don't have emissions, which means a mailing address or put a computer that can pass and the injectors that will allow that computer.
DSM Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2009, 06:32 AM   #17
riceca

Quote:
Cause i'm registered in Pitt county and I take my shit to my home county all the time cause they dont give a shit about cats. lol
Technically they are supposed to do a visual inspection of the cats and whatnot even if you are in a safety only county. They have to be there...Maybe be empty but supposed to be there if equipped by the manufacturer. Maybe they dont get audited like we do.

lata
CHRIS