HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-06-2005, 11:35 PM   #1
Wolfpack
Force-fed 6

Wolfpack is a good little Junkie
Send a message via AIM to Wolfpack
Tune-up suggestions... 1994 3.4l V6 Camaro

1994 V6 Camaro....

I am domestic illiterate unless it's a 93' Cobra, 94' Thunderbird, 68' Mustang, or a 57' Chevy.... so....

Bear in mind that I WILL look for the obvious, but I'm certain SOMEONE on here has some ideas.

1. The heat no longer works. The fan is working and blowing heat. Is there a solenoid/trap door/stepper motor that goes bad? What should I look for.

2. It leaks oil. A LOT of oil. Probably a quart every two weeks. Is there a known oil problem area?

3. The right passenger side accumulates water when it rains, but it's not coming through the window. Thoughts?

4. The car hesistates... A LOT when it's raining. Typical problem, or short in the system?

5. What do I need to look at/do for a basic tune up on this thing? It's been pretty neglected... anything I should watch out for in particular?

Thanks guys!

Jason
Wolfpack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:11 AM   #2
Starz T/A 17

Starz T/A 17 is a good little Junkie
Send a message via AIM to Starz T/A 17
for Question #4 Id check the wires, if their fine check the coil. I know a couple of people with the same kinda car and problems that turned out to be a bad coil.
Also does your check engine light come on at all when it acts up?
Starz T/A 17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 04:39 AM   #3
chodieeas
Super Moderator

chodieeas has disabled reputation
Send a message via AIM to chodieeas
Question 1. Heater coil under the passenger side dash is full of trash so it can't pass hot antifreeze through it.
chodieeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 05:45 AM   #4
screamin94Z
don't listen to me

screamin94Z has disabled reputation
question #3, there is a hole in the firewall (right under the pcm on my car) on the passenger side that should have a grommet but mine fell out that a few wires pass through. it's also sitting right under the spot where all the water drains from the cowl. it comes right down under the carpet on the passenger side and accumulates in the rear seat. pull the pcm out and seal that baby up and dry your carpet out.
screamin94Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 09:56 AM   #5
Wolfpack
Force-fed 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starz T/A 17
for Question #4 Id check the wires, if their fine check the coil. I know a couple of people with the same kinda car and problems that turned out to be a bad coil.
Also does your check engine light come on at all when it acts up?
NO CEL activity whatsoever.... it's THAT intermittent.

I'll pull and test the coil.
Old 12-07-2005, 09:57 AM   #6
Wolfpack
Force-fed 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodieeas
Question 1. Heater coil under the passenger side dash is full of trash so it can't pass hot antifreeze through it.
So is this something I can do a flush on? Would a flush have enough pressure to clear the coil, or am I going to have to pull the dash to change the coil? Is it as big a PITA as it is on foreign vehicles? <damnit>
Old 12-07-2005, 09:58 AM   #7
Wolfpack
Force-fed 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamin94Z
question #3, there is a hole in the firewall (right under the pcm on my car) on the passenger side that should have a grommet but mine fell out that a few wires pass through. it's also sitting right under the spot where all the water drains from the cowl. it comes right down under the carpet on the passenger side and accumulates in the rear seat. pull the pcm out and seal that baby up and dry your carpet out.
I'll take a look at that spot... thanks man! The only problem is that on this car, the water is accumulating in the front passenger floorboard, right underneath the ubiquitous hump.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:04 AM   #8
dabe
number one hater

dabe is without a doubt too mature for this placedabe is without a doubt too mature for this placedabe is without a doubt too mature for this placedabe is without a doubt too mature for this placedabe is without a doubt too mature for this placedabe is without a doubt too mature for this placedabe is without a doubt too mature for this placedabe is without a doubt too mature for this place
Send a message via AIM to dabe
its a CORE..not coil...hahaha....but never done them on a 4th gen f body....

kevins right bout the water...the grommet is known for poping out or leaking....seal it up with some sort of sealant....

does it leak or burn.....if it leaks grab a few cans of brake cleaner and spraydown the whole motor...get it clean...then run the car and see where the oil is leaking

hesitation in the rain....id do a basic tune up...plugs wires pcv fuel filter air filter...sounds like something is getting wet and not liking it....

tuneup see above....
Old 12-07-2005, 10:53 AM   #9
Wolfpack
Force-fed 6

Does anybody know how to get to the heater CORE on a 4th gen? I could look, but the car isn't here right now, and she's gonna drive either my LC or my Sup while I'm working on her Camaro.... so I'd like to MINIMIZE the down time.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:20 PM   #10
HellTeeOne
slingin' cribs

HellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this place
Send a message via AIM to HellTeeOne
She's gonna drive your Supra? You must really like her!

I've heard that the heater core can be accessed in a pinch by pulling the glove box out. Not *too* bad of a job from what I've heard.

If the car has t-tops, make sure it isnt leaking though them. Sometimes it doesnt show on the windows when this happens, and its very common.

D.
HellTeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2005, 01:49 PM   #11
screamin94Z
don't listen to me

screamin94Z has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfpack
I'll take a look at that spot... thanks man! The only problem is that on this car, the water is accumulating in the front passenger floorboard, right underneath the ubiquitous hump.
mine was bad enough to make a puddle in the backseat but it has to pass there first. should be the same case. the worst part was getting the smell out of the carpet!

three points for using "ubiquitous" too, very impressive mr smarty smarterton

Last edited by screamin94Z; 12-07-2005 at 01:51 PM..
screamin94Z is offline   Reply With Quote