Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-14-2012, 04:53 PM   #1
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.
OBD-II code P1121 on Toyota Prius?

Sorry to post a question about a Toyota ... and a wimpy one at that! LOL

Check-engine light came on in 2008 Prius.

Used an Autel MaxiScan MS509 to pull the code.
Said it was a manufacturer-specific code, and had me select the manufacturer.
I selected 'Toyota'.

It then told me:

P1121 ($07E8 in top/right of screen, if that's important)
"Accelerator Pedal Position Sensor Range/Performance Problem"

---

I did some searches online, and found several for non-Prius Toyotas (such as Tundra) where that code meant the APPS problem (above).

But most of the pages I found specifically about Prius say it's a Coolant Control Valve problem (Prius has a system that pumps the coolant into an insulated container when you park it, to keep the coolant warm, so it doesn't have to run your gas engine as much to warm up the engine next time). For example, such as this page:

http://priuschat.com/threads/p1121-c...h-pics.102648/

Just wondering if any of you Toyota guys know for sure which of the 2 problems P1121 really indicates on a 2008 Prius? -- I assume the description in my code reader is wrong (maybe right for a Toyota in general, but wrong for a Prius), and the priuschat.com guys are probably right?
mulletless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:11 PM   #2
GTA matt

GTA matt is a good little Junkie
First, I can't believe there is a Prius forum lol. DTC p1121 in a Prius IS for the coolant flow control valve. As suggested, double check that the coolant is full, remember these have 2 cooling systems. You'll probably need the valve replaced tho. Be sure to only use Toyata coolant when you refill. Its good stuff.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:36 PM   #3
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTA matt View Post
First, I can't believe there is a Prius forum lol. DTC p1121 in a Prius IS for the coolant flow control valve. As suggested, double check that the coolant is full, remember these have 2 cooling systems. You'll probably need the valve replaced tho. Be sure to only use Toyata coolant when you refill. Its good stuff.
Thanks for the confirmation & suggestions!

Yeah, I had seen several things online that mentioned that it 'could' just be the coolant level (if you're lucky). I've reset the code a couple times, and it comes back pretty quickly -- after my last post, I reset & re-triggered the code within 10 minutes ... then checked the coolant level and it was slightly below full (full & add are only about 1/4" apart). I topped it off (probably not even 1/4-cup of coolant), and then took several short trips. So far, it hasn't re-triggered the CEL yet! (fingers crossed!)
Old 06-14-2012, 06:41 PM   #4
The Flying Clutchman
Serious Poster

The Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this place
Send a message via AIM to The Flying Clutchman
I can imagine the trolls on a Prius forum.
1991 Bronco Silver Anniversary

Quote:
If that guy was slapping my ass like that, he would have lasted about 15 seconds before I blew peanuts in his face.
The Flying Clutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #5
GTA matt

GTA matt is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Clutchman View Post

"Dear Trollololol,

Unfortunately your registration at Prius forums did not meet our membership requirements. Therefore your registration was deleted.

Sorry,
Prius forums"

Old 06-14-2012, 06:51 PM   #6
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Clutchman View Post
Hahaha - yep!

I got an id, but I have only logged in a couple of times.
Old 06-14-2012, 06:52 PM   #7
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulletless View Post
I topped it off (probably not even 1/4-cup of coolant)...
more specifically, the inverter coolant
Old 06-20-2012, 05:32 PM   #8
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

Ok - one more time ... this time filling the ICE (internal combustion engine) reservoir to the 'full' level, like I should have done previously
Old 06-23-2012, 06:38 AM   #9
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

Ok - definitely not the coolant level.

Ordered a new valve (16670-21010, $70), and cable-operated hose clamp pliers to help reaching all these clamps in tight quarters.
Old 07-01-2012, 05:51 AM   #10
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

Replaced the electronic valve contraption/thingey ... there was much cursing involved, LOL.