91_fox has no rep around here.
dodge 4.7 magnum or 5.7 hemi

got a 2004 Dodge ram 1500 slt this past week..needs a new motor

looking for 4.7 magnum or 5.7 hemi.. perferably under $1000
91_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
niSSan
Registered A$$hole

niSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this place
the 4.7's are fucking junk. the 5.7's are so-so.
niSSan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
lukeduke
Boost is my antidrug

lukeduke is without a doubt too mature for this placelukeduke is without a doubt too mature for this placelukeduke is without a doubt too mature for this placelukeduke is without a doubt too mature for this placelukeduke is without a doubt too mature for this placelukeduke is without a doubt too mature for this placelukeduke is without a doubt too mature for this place
Lots of issues out my 4.7, but I've been able to keep it running thus far. Just have to watch the oil press gauge closely
lukeduke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 06:53 AM   #4
91_fox

I agree..but I'm looking to flip this truck for some extra cash..anyone know where I can find one? I've looked everywhere with no results
Old 01-11-2012, 08:12 AM   #5
madball
I sell race cars

madball is actually making some sense.madball is actually making some sense.madball is actually making some sense.
First off, try posting in the WTB section. Second, have you heard of this new found wonder called the junkyard?????
Old 01-11-2012, 08:38 AM   #6
snkmug

snkmug is a good little Junkie
4.7's are not junk, they have issues with people using the wrong weight oil like the 4.6 Ford and they get gummed up inside with sludge
snkmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:24 AM   #7
niSSan
Registered A$$hole

niSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this placeniSSan is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by snkmug View Post
4.7's are not junk, they have issues with people using the wrong weight oil like the 4.6 Ford and they get gummed up inside with sludge
4.7's ARE junk, atleast the heads are. i've done a few myself, and seen countless other head jobs/motor jobs done by others i work with. thats also why they are a hard motor to find used, b/c they're so few "good" ones out there that aren't blown, and so many people trying to find one. i'm in the middle of head job on a 3.7l v6 right now with 2 bad heads, and its nothing the but 4.7 without the rear two cylinders.
niSSan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 12:21 PM   #8
91_fox

Quote:
Originally Posted by madball View Post
First off, try posting in the WTB section. Second, have you heard of this new found wonder called the junkyard?????
no need to be a dick..just a simple question..i already checked lkq
Old 01-11-2012, 04:11 PM   #9
madball
I sell race cars

madball is actually making some sense.madball is actually making some sense.madball is actually making some sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91_fox View Post
no need to be a dick..just a simple question..i already checked lkq
Not trying to be a dick. If you are looking to just flip the truck I would put whatever engine back in that came out, by far the easiest and most sensible option. Ebay, craiglist, and other local junk yards should have something.
Old 01-11-2012, 04:38 PM   #10
sb04gt

sb04gt is a good little Junkie
Quote:
First off, the guy was asking a question about the difference between 4.7 and the 5.7 motors and which he should choose to put in his truck. On top of that, he was simply asking more or less about where he could find a cheap motor, not WTB.

Second, If you know anything about most junkyards, few will not have a selection that new, especially dodges with those motors.

Third, give the guy some slack. Afterall, he might be a noob but you arent to far to follow. I absolutely despise people that get on the forums and act like they know so much more than someone that has just recently joined. They may know far more than you, period. Just because he is new to the site and you have been here for a while dont mean shit. Quit post whoring just to get your thread count up. I have been here longer than you and note your count verses mine. I just hope some of your comments are useful and not all degrading.

Thanks,
Raymon
sb04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 04:41 PM   #11
ThrottleCrawler

ThrottleCrawler is a good little Junkie
car-part.com
Pretty good source on finding junkyards that carry what you want or need...

Last edited by ThrottleCrawler; 01-11-2012 at 04:44 PM..
ThrottleCrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 05:22 PM   #12
madball
I sell race cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb04gt View Post
First off, the guy was asking a question about the difference between 4.7 and the 5.7 motors and which he should choose to put in his truck. On top of that, he was simply asking more or less about where he could find a cheap motor, not WTB.

Second, If you know anything about most junkyards, few will not have a selection that new, especially dodges with those motors.

Third, give the guy some slack. Afterall, he might be a noob but you arent to far to follow. I absolutely despise people that get on the forums and act like they know so much more than someone that has just recently joined. They may know far more than you, period. Just because he is new to the site and you have been here for a while dont mean shit. Quit post whoring just to get your thread count up. I have been here longer than you and note your count verses mine. I just hope some of your comments are useful and not all degrading.

Thanks,
Raymon
What I totaly despice is some serious ass dipshit douchebag like yourself on a F'around forum like HPJ that takes everyone and everybody way to seriously. Loosen up Raymon. If you see my second comment you will notice I was just messing with him. If you have been on here for so damn long than you should know that it takes thick skin to hang out around here.

To the OP, the 5.7 Hemi is A MUCH better engine than a 4.7. Pretty much the same MPG but about 100hp more and alot more dependable. Supposely it cost Dodge more money to continually produce the 4.7 Magnum than it does the 5.7 Hemi. I don't know if there is any truth to this. I don't know if a 5.7 Hemi can be had for under a grand though. Again if you are just looking to flip this truck then I would just put whatever motor that came in it back in. What did the truck originally have in it?
Old 01-11-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
madball
I sell race cars

Here is a 4.7 in Burlington:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dodge-Durang...item45fe90f759
Here is a 5.7 in Charlotte:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/03-04-ENGINE...item1e6a0df9f2

Obviously is price a major concern the 4.7, is a better choice.
Old 01-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #14
madball
I sell race cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by sb04gt View Post
Quit post whoring just to get your thread count up. I have been here longer than you and note your count verses mine. I just hope some of your comments are useful and not all degrading.

Thanks,
Raymon
Post whoring?????????????????????????????? WTF are you even talking about. Just because I average about 1 post every two days since being on here? Pretty much all of my posts are relevant to the discussion on this forum.

And besides I didnt see how you helped the OP in any way. I pointed him to the WTB section, told him to try ebay, craigslist, and junkyards, and even provided him some links to engines that are available locally. What have you done???

Last edited by madball; 01-11-2012 at 09:43 PM..
madball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 07:45 PM   #15
snkmug

snkmug is a good little Junkie
4.7's can be found in grand cherokees, dakota's, and durangos as well...
snkmug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2012, 10:25 PM   #16
alpine247

alpine247 is actually making some sense.alpine247 is actually making some sense.
wuts wrong with the motor in the ram?
alpine247 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2012, 07:59 AM   #17
sb04gt

sb04gt is a good little Junkie
Quote:
What I totaly despice is some serious ass dipshit douchebag like yourself on a F'around forum like HPJ that takes everyone and everybody way to seriously. Loosen up Raymon. If you see my second comment you will notice I was just messing with him. If you have been on here for so damn long than you should know that it takes thick skin to hang out around here.
Man dont mind my rant. I was just venting. The op was just asking a question and you commented with a smart ass remark. Forums are for people to ask questions. I hate when people post a comment about "how about trying to do a search first? or have you ever heard of google?" The majority of the time the op has already done research and that is why he has come to the board. By the first comment you posted you were not messing around. Your second post I did not see until I had already posted. i am a very easy person to get along with and I like joking around like anyone else on the his board, but your first post just caught me wrong. And as far as post whoring, i never would have commented if I had not seen your post because I know nothing about the platform. Any one can get up here and say check craigslist. Just giving my 2 cents. Sorry for being such a serious ass douchebag.

Thanks,
Raymon
sb04gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2012, 03:55 PM   #18
madball
I sell race cars

All in fun man and I do know what you mean about some people on forums. I wasnt trying to be "that guy" just giving the FNG a hard time and breakin him in. I figured you might not of seen my second post.