Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Off Topic and More > Junkies Den

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 06-28-2010, 09:00 PM   #1
SilkE
Unreformed

SilkE is without a doubt too mature for this placeSilkE is without a doubt too mature for this placeSilkE is without a doubt too mature for this placeSilkE is without a doubt too mature for this placeSilkE is without a doubt too mature for this place
Porsche 930 - The "Widowmaker"

Found this story on Supraforums and it had me rolling. Hope it's not a repost.

The story teller is "Wreckless" over there:

I have had the terrifying pleasure of being humbled by a 930 Turbo.

She was black, with a black interior and black oldschool Recaros. Schroth harnesses with the no-sissies-or-girlfriends-allowed clasps that look as if they would eat a careless finger.
It smelled this particular way, a strange mix of late 80's German cloth & adhesives painted over by the sweat of a thousand Gaul foot soldiers.
Any elation I had at being offered the opportunity to drive this car pretty much instantly turned to panic when I realized that this *really* was a goddamn 930 Turbo.

The engine started with a snarl. The owner, sitting shotgun, reminded me to do the opposite thing of what I thought I should do if the car ever went crazy on me.
He said 'if' as if he knew it meant 'when' and he was utterly delighted. Like, he was waiting for this car to chew me up and spit me out in broken pieces, and then pepper my dismembered corpse with all the fragments of what I used to think was my driving skill.
I started sweating.
Putting the car into first I was kind of shocked at how slow the revs rose, it was a tall, tall ass first gear. I took it easy for a little while and got used to the surprisingly good steering feel. So long as I kept her out of boost she was a very docile, pretty, and well-mannered lady.
The owner then started sassing me about treating it 'like a first date'. I told him "It is a first date, hell, its the first time I've ever met the girl"
"Just put your right foot in her and she'll put out, stop letting her tease you!"
This particular example was making approximately 430whp with a few upgrades, larger turbo, etc.
I rolled into boost and the torque came on like a MK4 with an oldschool T66 - it was like a valve opened in a 100rpm span and it went from zero to EVERYTHING.
Surprisingly, I didn't have to correct it much when it barked the tires loose a bit - but I was still going in a straight line.

Got into the canyons, started enjoying the turns. The owner stopped sassing me, but he wasn't telling me to slow down either. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad.
The Turbocharged flat six above 4500rpm was making the noise only an aircooled turbocharged Porsche could make, and with straight piping from the turbo it was LOUD.

I actually started to feel comfortable. Maybe she wasn't such a ruthless bitch after all. The steering felt alive in my hands and the car just had loads of grip. The sound of the accel & decel of the engine as I heel-toed downshifts and happily ate up anything resembling a straightaway was just, well, really goddamn fun. I felt like I understood the P-car mystique.
I allowed myself the daring thought that maybe, just maybe, I was just a naturally good driver with cars like this.

No sooner did I formulate that silly hypothesis than did we come to a part of this 2-lane canyon highway that featured a decreasing radius turn with an advised speed of 30mph. I was well over double that entering the turn. I downshifted to second, and stayed on the gas, braking at the same time like a heel-toe shift held in place and trying not to upset the car's balance like so many have before me.

I felt the tires protest. Yep, I'm scared now.

The guard railing started getting WAY too close to the car. I imagined that sun-baked steel ruthlessly chewing through the side of that Stuttgart paintjob, and the long, long walk home I would be taking if the owner didn't leave me dead out here in the middle of nowhere.
I knew I couldn't lift, I shouldn't lift... goddamnit we had to be slow enough now that it'd be okay. Logical thought was overcome by sheer terror. I lifted a little bit.

Then we were spinning.
NO warning, no tire barking, NOTHING.
By some miracle, the spin happened just as the turn straightened out again, and the car merely spun three times and ended up on the paved shoulder pointing the wrong direction. The engine idled almost happily. It was smug. The car had humbled another victim and it damn well knew it.
I was still shaking and the owner was white as a sheet. He looked around and then started laughing.
"I told you, these cars will punish you!" and yes, the owners of a 930 are just a little bit crazy.

I couldn't even speak. Less than 30 seconds had passed and I was still shaking too much to really think right. I just began to undo the Schroth belts.
"Hey, you can drive us back just slow it down a little bit"

"uhhhmm.. Nah................ I'm good"
Old 06-28-2010, 09:10 PM   #2
El Caballo Loco
Fucker got booted!

El Caballo Loco is without a doubt too mature for this placeEl Caballo Loco is without a doubt too mature for this placeEl Caballo Loco is without a doubt too mature for this placeEl Caballo Loco is without a doubt too mature for this place
Cool story.
El Caballo Loco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 04:48 AM   #3
Nelson@PCM
Pirate

Nelson@PCM might have posted something useful at one time
Me likes LOL I LOVE the 930 turbos. One of the most beautiful cars IMO w/the flares in the rear... yumm.
Old 06-29-2010, 06:43 AM   #4
Wraith
occasionally

Wraith is without a doubt too mature for this placeWraith is without a doubt too mature for this placeWraith is without a doubt too mature for this placeWraith is without a doubt too mature for this placeWraith is without a doubt too mature for this placeWraith is without a doubt too mature for this placeWraith is without a doubt too mature for this place
gotta love snap oversteer... Happened to me twice at Deal's Gap in the NSX.
Old 06-29-2010, 07:03 AM   #5
Ricketts
Future Lottery Winner

Ricketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this place
Cool story, and yes 930 Turbo's are SWEET!!!
Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
HellTeeOne
slingin' cribs

HellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this place
I can't hear the phrase "930 Turbo" and not think about a certain scene on an airport runway from a Will Smith movie. And yea, I know that was a 964, but close enough.

One of the best looking cars ever produced for sure. Pre-993 Carreras of most any type were known for lift-throttle snap oversteer.

HellTeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:11 AM   #7
Ricketts
Future Lottery Winner

Ricketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this placeRicketts is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by HellTeeOne View Post

Ricketts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #8
Ras
Resident Viking

Ras is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this place
Driving one of those is like throwing a hammer handle first.
Old 06-29-2010, 10:39 AM   #9
PRIAPISM
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

PRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this place
I really dig those! Nice story!