HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 08-01-2018, 07:06 AM   #326
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Sorry to hear about the back. I broke mine back in the 90s, and have 2 disks that like to herniate now if I am not careful.

Get well soon!
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 07:45 AM   #327
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Sorry to hear you are having back issues, that sucks man. Hopefully you can still drive to the next CnC in Greensboro? I still haven't made it this year, hope to hit the next.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2018, 03:19 PM   #328
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Preciate it guys, things went well and I'm home healing. Can't drive for three weeks, doubt I'll be in the mood to do a lot of walking around either.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 09:46 PM   #329
ls13ater

ls13ater might have posted something useful at one timels13ater might have posted something useful at one time
Ole car doing well, hate to hear about your back.
Old 08-09-2018, 10:10 AM   #330
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Someone had to......

Old 08-09-2018, 10:25 AM   #331
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Lmao! Man I needed the laugh!

Not too many people could get away with that
Old 08-10-2018, 12:55 PM   #332
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Lmao! Man I needed the laugh!

Not too many people could get away with that
Had to slip that in there.
Old 08-23-2018, 07:19 PM   #333
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got my driving privileges back.

Took my time getting on the ground tonight, swapped out the bad fuel filter (too much pressure), did the trick. Tune is coming back around, fuel trims are lining up, and power is back.

Tried my first brake stand, it was a lot more successful than thought it would be. Went straight to the limiter so I released the brake, rode it out, then let it roll in 2nd. First time I've left black marks and released some of that fancy tire air.

Old 08-23-2018, 07:41 PM   #334
fast?yea

fast?yea has no rep around here.
Great picture!
fast?yea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 11:43 AM   #335
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
nice pic!

good to hear your back on the road too!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2018, 01:38 PM   #336
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

nice...
Old 08-25-2018, 01:20 PM   #337
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
Right on!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 08-26-2018, 05:50 AM   #338
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys, will get a video at some point.

Stopped by my daughter's friend's house yesterday. Young guy still at home but is a heavy machine mechanic for the city. His dad had a lift and he wanted to help me try to get the rest of the exhaust on. Still doesn't fit even with a better vantage point. Going to have to spend time on my back figuring it out or going to a shop and having them trim to fit.

Up the skirt action, was weird not seeing all this 8" from my face for once..

Craigslist frame off action

Old 09-19-2018, 06:20 AM   #339
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

After driving around for a bit and a couple highway trips I noticed the windshield trim lifting up. Turns out those fancy clips the windshield guy installed are crap. Looks like cheap chinese rivets. The heads just popped off and left the clips and trim flopping in the wind. This means I'll have to pull the windshield, remove the remains of the rivets, then install proper screws and have the windshield reinstalled. Not sure when I'll get around to it.

Started putting the trim back on the car. Really has me wanting to get the rest of the missing trim. Have a couple leads, just need the time.

Got a mild vibration that comes and goes, feels like tire imbalance, wondering if I'm spinning the tires on the rims. Then there's a much harder vibration above 85mph, feels like the car is coming apart. Checked pinion angle, best reading has it sitting at 5.7 degrees! Have no idea it went from 1 degree when I put it together to this. Doubt suspension settling would have done this?

Daughter's friend was over this weekend, we tried to adjust the pinion angle. He was turning the bolts for me and said it was adjusted as far as it would go. I didn't check it, but pinion angle is now 3.6 degrees. Moved the vibration to up above 100mph. Damn car wants to eat too, hated having to get out of it. I ordered adjustable upper arms from speedway motors, they were on sale. I might end up having to raise the trans to get the working angle right, which might cause issues.

Here's the factory adjustable upper arm, looks like I might be able to get a little more swing out of the bolt, I'm sure he was just trying not to mess anything up, boy loves the chevelle. Might look into boxing the lower arms too while I'm at it. Beats buying overpriced powdercoated parts. Turn downs are cool till you get under the car and see how much dirt they kick up.

Old 09-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #340
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Found a great deal on Speedway motors, really nice adjustable uppers on sale for $100! I jumped on it.

Got my confirmation email

Couldn't wait for them to come in!

Box finally arrived, ripped it open:

Gorgeous piece, but only one in the box. Called them up, first girl was pretty rude and said, sir, the title said pair but when you purchase it says each. I can send you another for $99.99 and give you free shipping. Uh, it's free shipping anyway.. I told her no kidding, when you order a pair of something you only want one pair..

Went through 2 "supervisors" and finally got a guy that would listen. Told him I know there's a difference between a pair of socks and a pair of underwear, he finally talked to someone else, got another one coming and they quickly changed the title on the website. I felt bad and was going to order something else, found a decent deal on carpet, but when you look at the details it's for a Nova but says it fits chevelle?! Not sure I'll be rolling the dice on that site again.

https://www.speedwaymotors.com/ACC-C...or,330514.html
Old 09-19-2018, 06:21 AM   #341
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got both arms in and got a little dirty last night. Well.. A lot dirty. Between the marine grease on the poly bushings and all the dust from the turn downs..

Install was a breeze, did one side at a time, rear didn't budge so I was able to slide old out and new in.

The problem came in trying to get the pinion angle right. I know for a fact the engine has too much angle to it. Did some dimension researching, found out between engine mounts and trans mounts is ~ 41.14", and doing some right triangle calculations, if I move either mount by .75" that'll give me 1 degree of change. I've been wanting to revisit the engine mounts for a while, this just forces my hand. I have a little over 1.5"-1.75" (2 finger widths, no ruler) between the inner tie rod ends and bottom of oil pan. I want to leave about 1/2", so I'm going to have to modify the engine mounts and space the trans crossmember up. Little concerned about header clearance at that point. Might be this weekend's work.

Took it for a shakedown, it definitely made a difference, rear feels a lot more planted, less spin, and NVH seems a little less for some reason. I'm still getting the fire alarm you're car is going to rattle apart vibration at and over 100 though. It's not a slowly oncoming vibration it's like a switch. And damn does it get there quick.

Gratuituous under skirt shot while I was there..

Old 09-19-2018, 02:57 PM   #342
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Your really getting after it!

My wife's truck has had a bad vibration right around cruising speed of 65-70mph. I have been fighting it for a while thinking it was a pinion angle/drive line angle problem. Changed axle shims multiple times. Changed the axle mounting brackets to adjustable ones. Still have the vibration. She had the tires balanced at work, still a vibration! We had a friend check it out that is good with finding/fixing issues like this. He checked the drive shaft for a balance problem, no issue there. He checked the tire balance and that was all screwed up along with the tires being out of round! He rebalanced he tires and remounted them to offset the out or round as much as possible and it is way better now! Still has a vibration but not near as bad. A new set of tires should completely fix it...
Old 09-20-2018, 06:08 AM   #343
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man. I'm wondering if it's the chinese tires that are on there. I'm going to rotate them and see if it moves the vibration to the front. I've got the rim I want to run in the garage for test fitting, just have to get to it. I know for a fact part of my problem is tire balance as it can be smooth as silk, you hit a curve, and slower speed (lower frequency) vibration comes back.

Pretty sure pinion angle is the other (higher frequency above 100mph). Seems to happen when driveshaft is around +4200 rpms. Need to try different gears, but don't want to stay at that speed experimenting, AND sustaining that vibration for too long.

I've confused myself so much researching pinion angle and all the expert info on the web, I don't know which way to go. I've tried using the Tremec phone app to dial it in but the phone is too sensitive / too many rounded edges to where I really can't get a good reading from it. Going to stop by home depot/lowes and pick up a digital level. Think the next pinion adjustment is just going to be matching whatever the engine is sitting at. As long as the planes don't intersect, think that's what I'm after. I'm so used to pinion down settings w/ leaf springs this is a new venture for me.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:53 PM   #344
rcktpwrd

Yes with the four link you don't need as much pinion angle, maybe a degree or two different from the trans angle. The axle still rotates up slightly under power but no where near as much as a leaf spring.

Reading about how to measure and adjust the drive line angles gets so confusing!
Old 09-20-2018, 03:08 PM   #345
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Set it to match the crank & trans angle, then. Point it down 3
Old 09-20-2018, 06:44 PM   #346
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
nice looking arms
Old 09-21-2018, 12:45 PM   #347
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys. I stopped by lowes and picked up this digital level. The measurements they're stating are WAY off. The thing is tiny, maybe 3" x 3" x 1". Hopefully that'll help me measure angles with more accuracy. Phone was just too sensitive.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Johnson-Lev...tor/1000085673

I'm also going to create a type of magnetic perpendicular angle laser pointer that I can put on the tailshaft / yoke to see if the engine is correctly pointed towards the rear yoke. Basically use a magnet and fashion a mount for a laser pointer. Not sure how close I can get it to perpendicular but I'll figure it out.

Something like this, but unsure of how I'll be able to check it's "straightness" after I'm done?:

Helping a buddy this weekend check on storm damage down @ the coast so chevelle is on hold.
Old 09-25-2018, 08:03 PM   #348
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Digging around trying get my driveline alignment right. Wanted to shim rear of trans up 1"but bell housing starts to pinch fuel line. Went 1/2"and now have 1 working angle. If I try to work the engine mounts it's going to be a pia. Will have to pull the headers to start..

While I had the digital level out I made sure the rear yoke was at 0 so I had a good starting point. Got curious and checked trans yoke and it's out 2.5! From everything I've been taught they're suppose to be flat so they cancel each other out.

Driveshaft is on the floor, calling shop tomorrow, might be taking a lunch trip. Lol there's no way in hell I could've twisted it.
Old 09-26-2018, 12:56 PM   #349
rcktpwrd

That's what I understand to be correct as well, both U-joints exactly even with each other. I bet that is a big part of your vibration issue!
Old 09-27-2018, 07:05 AM   #350
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Well.. took a lunch trip, he said the phase was no issue, you can have up to 15 degrees before it starts causing problems.

Owner is really cool about this though, he's trying to help me figure out the problem as much as he can. They're scrutinizing the shaft and rebalancing it. Hopefully this will help.

Looks like I have a TN trip coming up soon, have to button this ol girl up.

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu