HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 02-20-2017, 11:39 AM   #51
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Quick visual of what I'm wanting the dash to finish up looking like

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2017, 09:22 PM   #52
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Time to strap in!

Quick shot of the seats, pass got a little dusty grinding out the windshield channel, going to fit pretty well with not a lot of fab.

Old 02-22-2017, 10:36 AM   #53
fast?yea

fast?yea has no rep around here.
The seats are going to look great. Nice to have the title in hand!
fast?yea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 10:57 AM   #54
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Seats like comfy, great score there.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 06:49 AM   #55
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys!

Got out last night and met a fellow junkie, want to throw a shout out to Jaimie, saved my azz on a decent setup for my turd, thanks again man!!

Did some driving after work and ended up with this! 03 6.0 with 101k

Had to stop by co-workers to retrieve my hoist, then got home to this

Opened up the boxes, now have a looming to-do list, especially since the wife mentioned she'd like her half of the garage back before it gets warm out.

Looked to see what I've got to do with the window channel. Going to have to blow apart the front end, take the fenders off, etc. Might as well pull the 305/glide, pressure wash, paint, etc.

Hooked up my bench harness and pulled the tune off the ECM, starting to look around it, the newer ECM has a lot more in it than the 0411s I'm used to.

Starting to have mini strokes because I'm using up a lot of garage space and don't have anything done. The late model swaps really spoiled me in the fact that I didn't really have to do much modifying, this thing needs EVERYTHING! The pile of boxes is getting bigger!

Old 02-23-2017, 08:33 AM   #56
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
That's a good problem to have, considering you get a deal it sounds...
Old 02-23-2017, 03:22 PM   #57
TTSALEEN
Terminator ur G8

TTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this place
Nice progress!
TTSALEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2017, 10:20 PM   #58
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys!

Still pecking at this thing, got the damn flu that's going around, slowed me down for a bit.

Starting to dig into the windshield channel, ready to be done with this crap so I can get back in to the fun stuff.

Found out there's jb weld rust repair, not at all surprised.

Started cutting the channel out then realized I needed to remove the a-pillar covers.. lol, to reach 2 screws? The whole front end comes off.

Solo hood wrestling, not recommended

To get to this point had to cut 3 bolt heads, found a bunch of bolts missing bolts, 2 stripped hood bolts, and remove the front bumper. Again, virgin blazers spoiled me.. Also found a spot with 0 red overspray! Unbelievable!

All that to get to these 2 screws. Still have to do the other side.

Damn thing is so low it's riding on the jounce bumper. Frame pad is polished from the short trips I've driven it.

Old 02-28-2017, 06:26 AM   #59
No_Quarter
Runs With Beer

No_Quarter best poster evAr!!!!!!111No_Quarter best poster evAr!!!!!!111No_Quarter best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Good ol' JB Weld!
Old 03-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #60
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Finally got time in the garage last night. So far I've cut more bolts than I've used a wrench on. Passenger fender is off along w/ the a-pillar covers. Didn't get a whole lot of time to review what needs to be done. Will be cleaning the garage tonight then working on fitting the new panel.

There's a lot of rust in the corners where the cowl and toe panels come together. Hoping I can figure out a way to cut it out and replace with flat sheetmetal as I don't think there's replacements and my skills are very lacking in this department.

Didn't get a good shot of it this morning, but everything on the floor is from me sticking my finger through the rust and scooping dirt out. Assuming it's filled up from the tire kicking dirt up into it, PO must have lived on a dirt road, the dirt was almost piled up to the bottom of the kick panel vent. Was wondering where all the crap was coming from when you'd get up to speed, now I know.

Also found out why the pass kick panel vent wouldn't work. Knob would pop right off the push cable when you tried to open/close it. Again, no surprise here, just curious as to what caught fire. I'm thinking it was the blower motor, will be pulling the box this weekend to find out.

And last but not least I finally got curious enough to dig out the upper control arm. Honestly think I've uncovered the factory upper ball joint! There was so much grease/oil/dirt covering the frame it's almost preserved museum fresh.

Old 03-09-2017, 08:29 AM   #61
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Finally scored a shifter, although now I need to swap out the gto shifter cup for an f body one.

Started burning in the lower windshield channel and found out really quick the batteries in the helmet were going out. Not coordinated enough to weld and close eyes at the same time.

Was able to use butt weld clamps I've had forever, seem to do what they're advertised to do.

One bummer so far, never thought to shield the vent windows when cutting/grinding.
Old 03-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #62
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Going to have some rusty windows? I remember welding in a roll bar in the back of a truck once, and from then on, the rear window would get a bunch of tiny rust spots, lol.

Man you are tearing through this thing.
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:35 PM   #63
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Yessir, hate that it happened but not much to do about it now. I'm trying to power through this thing, trust me. Body work and paint have me at my wits end though.

Got it tacked in pretty well, now I'm filling holes and doing a friggin ton of grinding. I honestly don't know how body guys do it..

Old 03-11-2017, 06:33 AM   #64
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
looking good
Old 03-11-2017, 01:43 PM   #65
DisturbedRacing
Old Time Ridge Runner

DisturbedRacing is a good little Junkie
Great work for sure, but there's no way an LS motor will out perform a 305 with the air filter lid turned upside down. That's at least as good as a 150 shot.
DisturbedRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:58 PM   #66
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedRacing View Post
Great work for sure, but there's no way an LS motor will out perform a 305 with the air filter lid turned upside down. That's at least as good as a 150 shot.
Lol, want to put money on that? I really need to boost my funds!

Didn't get to touch it this weekend besides moving boxes of new parts to the trunk to get floor space in the garage.

Ended up working on a dryer Friday night, bragging on my 23 yr old dryer.. THEN our dryer fried the motor Sat morning, replaced the one dryer, then had to find a replacement for ours. Wife didn't want to wait for parts and I was done keeping that thing together. Deadlifting 2 dryers did the ol back in and the car fund took a decent hit.

Hopefully I can get out there tonight and get some time in.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #67
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got some garage time.

Switched out the gto shift lever for the f body (in hand), cleaned out the pocket while it was out too. Now I can run my cheap b&m shifter with good location in the car vs gto being too far rearward.

Stoked to finally feel 6 gears

Man pedal is prepped for install!

My welding buddy came out and helped fill in all the holes in the channel. Taught me a LOT! Got the channel wrapped up, working on the lower dash tomorrow.

Before paint removal

After, think this friggin thing was parked in a lake or the guy worked at an acid factory or something. Geeeeeeezzzzuuuuussssss.....

Ground down the rust on the backside, sprayed rust transformer on it, and think we're just going to plate the backside and weld to it to fill in the dash. I tried cobbling together a brake and bent a piece of metal to replace the lower, but it's thicker, not sure if we'll use it.
Old 03-19-2017, 06:20 PM   #68
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Dash = done, just needs final sanding and prob a lot of bondo. Ended up using the metal I bent, trimmed it down, fitted it to the backside, then started welding and grinding.

My bud doing work. He really lit the fire and got me going again!

We finished up the dash early, he didn't want to go home, so he threw out a suggestion and this happened.

It was a good run, was ready to go a couple more miles, but I'm ready to row some gears.

Cleaned up the garage and compared the t56 to the powerglide to see how much work the tunnel is going to need.. a lot..

Was surprised at how small the yoke was on the rear, lol, may be rethinking that decision down the road..
Old 03-19-2017, 07:07 PM   #69
blazinbowtie99
Super Moderator

blazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Awesome! You've come a long way on this thing.
blazinbowtie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2017, 07:45 PM   #70
Jayber

Jayber has disabled reputation
nice
Jayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2017, 06:11 AM   #71
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
This are moving along quick!
Old 03-21-2017, 06:21 PM   #72
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate it guys, I'm trying to get things dialed up, seriously ready to row some gears!

Looks like someone knew I was going to have to put a hydraulic clutch plate behind the booster! The bad news is I have the wrong master. Got a 75 series Tilton, has a flat flange, the plate I bought is angled for f-body setup.

Oil pan came in, little concerned?

It was ok, , bolts accounted for, the riveted gasket is warped a little off the pan, but it'll get sucked in when I torque it down. Save everyone some grief. Instead of buying a used pan off the net for $200 and then be nickeled and dimed for bolts, etc. Get a brand new one. I was tired of having them sell out from under me, so I checked to see if parts stores carried them. Sure enough Spectra makes them, part # GMP77A, $169 shipped. Add in pickup tube with o-ring (12558251), dipstick (12551581), and dipstick tube (12551577), $220 for a brand new setup shipped. Used ebay and summitracing for best prices.
Old 03-21-2017, 06:26 PM   #73
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Man, this definitely sets up my trust level going forward on projects.. Trans bolts, half were loose, 2 out of 3 converter bolts were working their way out, engine mount bolts were finger tight..

Did piddly things tonight before I got called in tonight.

Masked up the f body pan

Hosed it down with red brakleen, blew it dry and went to town on it. One light coat of self etching primer then two of hammered silver. Not going for looks, just sealing up the bare aluminum.

Not that I'm an ls engine enthusiast, but never seen one with factory oil cooler lines. I'm not running them, will be using synthetic, will never tow, large engine bay, and this engine won't be doing much work as light as this is.

Started stripping the engine for cleaning

This lip is nothing more than the edge of dirt buildup on the cross member! At least 1/4"!

Mounts I bought aren't going to work, putting them for up for sale. Yes, I could drill holes and make them work, but want a little more adjustability.

Drained the gas tank last night. Jacked the rear up as high as it would go and used gravity. I tried adding a little air pressure to speed up the process.. heard a couple weird pops/cracks. Got to looking around and it was the gas tank popping free of bondo snakes hanging from the trunk pan. SMDH. Just when I thought all the Easter eggs were found..
Old 03-26-2017, 06:31 PM   #74
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Created a trash filter under the engine to catch all the grease and dirt coming off so it didn't go in the driveway. Got it about 85% cleaned up, left the wiring harness on there to wash off the mold/mildew that was on it and also to keep the cleaner out of the electrical connections.

Afterwards I pulled the wiring harness off and couldn't resist hanging some jewelry on the old girl. Can't stop looking at it now.. Primary hits the oil cooler line, fully solidifies their departure.

Bent up and ready to weld in

Pass side buttoned up, now I have to grind, smooth, sand, seam seal, and paint.

Welding buddy talked me into just replacing the outer skin, should have replaced the firewall side as well.

I honestly had swept the floor before before we cut that piece out, this is what came out of the cowl. wth.

Driver's side welded up. Need to do a LOT of grinding as this was my side to weld, it looks bad in the pic but it's not too bad.

We were wore out from doing both sides, he left, I shut the doors. Will be cleaning the garage tomorrow and possibly doing a lot of grinding.

What's left?
-Clean up the cowl patches, seam seal, paint (have to figure out a nice sturdy paint to use, rattle can is too thin, maybe brush on rustoleum ).
-After that is protected, clean the frame, bolt the T56 to the engine, test fit, will be pulling peel n seal off floor board, cutting the trans tunnel to make room for the T56 and welding in new metal.
-Clean the dash, bondo, smooth, paint, also find matching paint for the red, paint the windshield channel, cowl, and pillar covers. Reinstall, install windshield, install front end, wire, plumb, install tank, plumb, exhaust, shorten driveshaft, install eaton diff and 3.73s
-mod seats to fit in car
-mod gauge cluster
-miller time
Old 03-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #75
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

Nice update, you've been busy.

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu