HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Off Topic and More > Local Happenings/Regional Forums > Wilmington

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 11-21-2011, 12:13 PM   #1
Jersyboyy

Jersyboyy has no rep around here.
Moving to wilmington

Im almost done with my active orders and ill be a reservist starting mid dec and I do not want to continue to live in raleigh. I plan on moving to wilmington come january/feb time frame and I need some advice.

Im in need of a cheap cheap cheap furnished room for rent in an area i wont get shot.

Also if any of you know of anyone hiring for anything above minimum wage please let me know.

I am a jet engine mechanic on kc-135s, I have a ton of mechanical knowledge, a good amount of computer knowledge and have worked in restaurents all my life. I work hard and try to master any task im given. I am a quick learner and have no issue working my way up from an apprentice in any field.
Just asking you guys to keep a eye out.
Appreciate you.

Jersyboyy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:19 PM   #2
Heater
Tastefully Sarcastic

Heater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this place
Cost of living is high and the pay rate is shit around Wilmington.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:39 PM   #3
holcombford
HPJ Site Supporter

holcombford is actually making some sense.holcombford is actually making some sense.
x2..you may try getting on at the airport or at GE. But other than that I wouldn't get my hopes up to high
holcombford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 12:43 PM   #4
SuperDan
Burnin' Rubber

SuperDan is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperDan is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperDan is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperDan is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperDan is without a doubt too mature for this placeSuperDan is without a doubt too mature for this place
X3
SuperDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
patl

patl has no rep around here.
Why not around Fort Bragg area?
95 gmc sonoma stock 5.3 (7.96 8th)
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:47 PM   #6
Justin.
Custom User

Justin. is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
Cost of living is high and the pay rate is shit around Wilmington.
Truth.

A lot of the cheaper furnished rooms are mostly in sober living houses and then it's still at least $350 a month to live with some sketch people and have rules and no privacy as if you're on probation.

I have a few houses I rent out if you're interested, They're in the $2,200-2,800 a month range 4 and 5 bedrooms, 2 by the college and 1 in Carolina Beach, they're mostly shared houses full right now, but I'm always having to evict someone.

Last edited by Justin.; 11-21-2011 at 07:00 PM..
Justin. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
DansTransAM
sellout

DansTransAM has disabled reputation
clear run (phase1/2) / campus edge is about the cheapest two places i'd live while trying not to get shot.

www.WideAwakeRacing.com
DansTransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 07:00 PM   #8
DansTransAM
sellout

and unless you get job at GE or that place downtown (forget the name), hang it up.

To be honest you can probably get on at GE. They love ret/military people. Helps them get gov't contracts.

www.WideAwakeRacing.com
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 PM   #9
Justin.
Custom User

Justin. is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansTransAM View Post
clear run (phase1/2) / campus edge is about the cheapest two places i'd live while trying not to get shot.
Keyword Trying...lol. I know they pulled a dead body out of the woods beside campus edge a few years back, pretty sure it was just a homeless guy living in the woods...but who knows.
Old 11-21-2011, 08:05 PM   #10
Jersyboyy

damn everytime i visit my buddies i have a blast they dont have stories like these but ill head your advice guys. Ill stop by ge next time im down there and if I can snag a job these ill make the move other wise i will continue to just visit on weekends

Old 11-21-2011, 08:50 PM   #11
holcombford
HPJ Site Supporter

holcombford is actually making some sense.holcombford is actually making some sense.
There is a lot of fun to be had...but when it comes down to it the job market is very weak in this area. GE is where I would begin. I lived in Campus Edge when I first moved here and never really had any trouble but it can be sketchy. You can try some of the apartments right around campus and see what you come up with. Those will probably be the closest thing to your budget.
holcombford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:14 PM   #12
DSM Turbos
Super Moderator

DSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jersyboyy View Post
damn everytime i visit my buddies i have a blast they dont have stories like these but ill head your advice guys. Ill stop by ge next time im down there and if I can snag a job these ill make the move other wise i will continue to just visit on weekends
Town is a blast job market blows unless you want to live in the service industry. That is why so many of us have moved away
DSM Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 11:48 PM   #13
FCTRYWRKR

FCTRYWRKR is actually making some sense.FCTRYWRKR is actually making some sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DansTransAM View Post
and unless you get job at GE or that place downtown (forget the name), hang it up.

To be honest you can probably get on at GE. They love ret/military people. Helps them get gov't contracts.
PPD? Progress Energy pays well too, but it's tough to get on as well, your experience being a plus though. But that's a haul from Wilmington to Southport (ask me how i know) unless you could work as a combustion turbine tech at Sutton plant, but theres tons trying to get them jobs as they are paying pretty well. Corning, Invista and Cojen are 2nd runners pay wise.

Last edited by FCTRYWRKR; 11-21-2011 at 11:52 PM..
FCTRYWRKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 02:21 AM   #14
Heater
Tastefully Sarcastic

Heater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this place
LoL, good luck getting on at GE.

Aircraft is the the only division that is paying new hires worth a shit and the list of people trying to get on is very long.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 05:54 AM   #15
DansTransAM
sellout

I would investigate GE well. GE doesn't do in house everything. They will always have outside contractors who come in everyday. (automated control systems, facilities engineers, etc). If you can get on like that and transition in, would be the best way.

www.WideAwakeRacing.com
Old 11-22-2011, 08:27 AM   #16
nickalltogether
LOL at tags

nickalltogether is actually making some sense.nickalltogether is actually making some sense.
I have a room that I will most likely be renting (my roommate just moved out). It could be furnished... depending if you're cool or not we could possibly work something out.
nickalltogether is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2011, 08:16 PM   #17
FCTRYWRKR

FCTRYWRKR is actually making some sense.FCTRYWRKR is actually making some sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heater View Post
LoL, good luck getting on at GE.

Aircraft is the the only division that is paying new hires worth a shit and the list of people trying to get on is very long.

seems to be the case for most places. got lucky i got on when i did. it seems finding a good job is getting hard.
FCTRYWRKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 07:59 PM   #18
Jersyboyy

im in wilmington this weekend whos trying to get drunk???

Old 11-25-2011, 08:16 PM   #19
DansTransAM
sellout

headed down there tomorrow for a few drinks out with a buddie.

www.WideAwakeRacing.com
Old 11-26-2011, 10:41 AM   #20
Bogan
-V8 Junkie-

Bogan might have posted something useful at one time
Anyone want to help me pull the 350 out of my GTA today? 252-916-6313
Old 11-26-2011, 12:54 PM   #21
Jersyboyy

919 244 6903 Ill be heading downtown tonight

Old 11-26-2011, 03:06 PM   #22
jf4boogie
what a biggity bitch...

jf4boogie is actually making some sense.jf4boogie is actually making some sense.jf4boogie is actually making some sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickalltogether View Post
I have a room that I will most likely be renting (my roommate just moved out). It could be furnished... depending if you're cool with gays or not we could possibly work something out.
WUT?

My little brother just lost his roomate and has a furnished room that may work out for you. He lives close to monkey junction.

As far as jobs, listen to what these guys are telling you. It really is all about who you know around here, so unless you get lucky, working your way up is about the only way. I recently had to move away for a few months until just a few weeks ago I finally landed a great job.

Good luck in your search. PM me if you need more info.
jf4boogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 03:50 PM   #23
Jersyboyy

jboogie text me 9192446903 I already pmed nickalltogether