HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 11-26-2017, 07:46 PM   #176
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Went with an Tanks Inc scratch and dent sale, larger than stock with walbro 255.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 07:02 AM   #177
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Christmas money came in a little early and spent it just as quick. Ordered a couple peripheral items to try and solidify this car a little more. Got a rear seat well pan so I can cut all the cancer out back there and not worry about dying of carbon monoxide poisoning. Also got PAC-1218 valvesprings and roller rocker trunion upgrade so I can install the cam my handed me a while back.

Have a feeling this is going to be a fun time..

Got a couple minutes to work on the chevelle this weekend, so I figured I'd knock the ugly off the remaining dash items.

My daughter has been calling this car a rust bucket from day one. I have stood vigilante in taking the abuse and fended off all of her verbal attacks.. but I think it may be time to retire the shield and sword. It's hard to ignore when you have rust holes in the ashtray of all things. The FRIGGIN ASHTRAY!?!?!!

Old 12-19-2017, 07:32 PM   #178
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Started hacking on the steering column, removed the auto selector and gear indicator, cut/formed sheet metal to act as a backer to fill in the holes, then JB welded them in.

This was the hole for the tiny bulb that illuminated the gear indicator.

This was the hole for the gear selector handle.

Will flatten out the epoxy, then bondo and smooth them out. It was easier than I thought except for cutting the ear off for the selector. Ended up having to use a sawzall because the pot metal gummed up the cutoff wheel. 80 grit flapper disc smoothed it out quickly though.

Figured I wasn't going to get any painting done, so I blew the dust off the engine, disconnected from trans, mounted on engine stand and pulled the valve cover off. Pressed the factory bearings out of the rockers, cleaned them up, then started pressing in the summit trunion captured bearings. Next up is swapping out the new valvesprings, and installing the rumpity stick. (To the left you can see the gear selector handle and turn signal. I cleaned up the turn signal stick w/ 00 steel wool and WD40, was rusted all to hell.)

Old 12-19-2017, 07:33 PM   #179
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Came to an abrupt stop when I realized my nephew lost the bag with all my snap ring tips. Tried unsuccessfully to mod the tips I did have, searched for any stragglers in every drawer of my tool box, but then had to drive to town, ended up at Home Depot.. All I can say is if you do the trunion upgrade on your LS and need snap ring pliers, the Channellock 8in snap ring plier is the way to go, $30. Even used the copper tips that came with it, didn't change a thing, they fit perfect and got r dun.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 PM   #180
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Factory rocker fulcrum vs summit racing upgrade

Shot of why the factory setup is dangerous when you increase spring pressure. If the outer shell pushes out of the rocker you get full engine carnage. Captured bearing setup in pic a well.

Did a little of this

Tried to degree cam and check piston to valve clearance but lifters are completely dry, couldn't find piston stop, gave up. Was only measuring .348" lift @ spring retainer, supposed to be .575". Checker springs installed in cyl 1, all others swapped to pac 1218.

Ferder Performance girdle sitting pretty on the pickup tube. No worries for oil delivery.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #181
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Dear permatex, different color would help.. dielectric won't seal.

Got engine back together, oiled up, and spun it over. Forgot I'd put marvel mystery oil in the cylinders, still tasting it (see floor). Not sure about oil pressure but oil level has dropped and crank was slinging oil on the new dipstick, so it's good to fire. RPMs dropped when it started circulating.

My sexy $11 1998 F150 injector connectors. Really hoping to hide these.. Maybe black paint so they blend into the fuel rail.

Figured I'd spend a little money trying to find a match. VW tornado red.. who'd a thunk it? Not perfect but close enough not to stand out. Looks identical in the sun.

Steering column, collars, ashtray, and glove box are now satin black. Bondo'd up the collars and block sanded them smooth, 2 coats of filler primer, sanded, then 2 coats of satin black with primer.

Can't wait to install this! Like the cherry on top. Although the cheap bastards didn't include the needed screws..

Biting lip..

And my last failed attempt at the firewall. I'm getting tired of this damn thing running no matter what I do.

Old 12-19-2017, 07:50 PM   #182
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Great work
Old 12-19-2017, 08:36 PM   #183
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
coming together!
Old 12-20-2017, 04:48 PM   #184
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys, I'm slowly trying to dig my way out of this hole. Set new years as deadline to at least have engine back between the rails and test fired.
Old 12-20-2017, 09:08 PM   #185
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
sounds good
Old 12-21-2017, 09:42 AM   #186
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
re: Paint runs...are you painting in a cold garage?
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:17 PM   #187
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
re: Paint runs...are you painting in a cold garage?
Yessir, compounding ignorance, impatience, quality, and paint fumes are leading to crap results. I'm using brush on Rustoleum, cheap brushes, and cold, just isn't giving me show quality finish.

I need to buck up and spray it but was trying to stick with brush on to give me a small chance of durability from it's thickness.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:27 PM   #188
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Old 12-21-2017, 08:59 PM   #189
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Degreased and acid cleaned the Craigslist bellhousing, helicoiled the 2 fubared bolt holes, really want to scrub the trans now..

After cleaning I noticed someone had a bad day, clutch grenaded at some point, glad the seller was up front about everything..

And stopping point for the night. Cleaned up and rearranged the garage, ready to roll the engine hoist under it..

Old 12-23-2017, 09:33 AM   #190
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

And we're back to this point. Still wrestling with how I'm going to run the fuel lines, need pressure plate bolts, and exhaust gaskets.

Old 12-28-2017, 05:44 AM   #191
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Ordered o2 bungs from Napa, just another day for them.. nut is so large it's completely blocking the sensor from the exhaust stream. Have to weld these on the exhaust.

My dad's getting overly excited about the car coming together and over spent at Christmas. (Not complaining ) They had ordered me a set of cutouts earlier and they turned out to be complete Chinese trash. Even had a power outlet plug for power.. I graciously thanked them but asked them to get their money back. Dad's been watching *****in' Rides and told me to order what they use.. Ok!

And the money shot. I have every intention of test firing it this week but of course peripheral things are starting to creep up. Wire harness is connected, fuel lines are ready, just have to tune it, and apply power.

Old 12-28-2017, 10:55 AM   #192
Mwilson

nice cut outs
Old 12-29-2017, 04:47 PM   #193
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man, I'd never thought I'd own a set but dad saw how cool they were and wanted me to have a set.
I'm not complaining. Will leave the switch loose so he can run it from the passenger seat.

Ringing ears and a couple more brain cells short..

My dad stopped by so I had to throw everything together as quick as I could to get it fired, missed something cause injectors aren't firing but it runs good on starter fluid.
Old 01-04-2018, 09:24 PM   #194
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

I went through the wiring 3 times thinking I missed something, 2 different tunes, and a lot of time just double checking everything. Hit the junkyard Monday morning, had 40% off sale. Picked up a MAF, TAC module, ECM, throttle body, brand new alternator, and flex fuel injectors out of an 05 suburban. Stock LQ4 injector is 25lb/hr which is borderline too small with just a tune, let alone cam, etc.., flex injectors are 33lb/hr. Same injectors I had in Habanero.

Trying to figure out how to incorporate this button into the car.

Get back to the house and install fuel pressure gauge to make sure I was getting enough fuel, it was good. Pressurized the rail and cut pump off, put power to the injectors, pulled the ECM connectors and grounded each injector while watching fuel pressure. Not a single blip out of all 8 injectors. Ethanol is the devil. All injectors were stuck closed, googling it revealed a lot of people having problems with those style injectors when they sit longer than 90 days.

Cleaned the new injectors, put a piece of hose over the inlet, filled it w/ carb cleaner, pressurized it w/ air, then triggered the injector w/ a 9v battery to clean it / make sure it fired. All were good. Found out I'd knocked the bottom cap off one, had to go back to the yard and snatch it out of the intake, glad no one took the engine.

New ECM got my throttle blade talking to the TAC module so the pedal works, it's a newer OS so I was able to segment swap a CTSV T56 trans table, golden. Still needs a lot of tuning, it idles @ 550 rpm but any throttle about kills it, then oscillates rpm until it goes back to steady.

Old 01-05-2018, 09:25 AM   #195
Mwilson

sounds good!
Old 01-05-2018, 09:26 AM   #196
Mwilson

why do you want the burn out button! lol
Old 01-05-2018, 02:08 PM   #197
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
why do you want the burn out button! lol
lol, gonna need one w/ the 3.73s and "Goodride" 195/70/14 out back.
Old 01-07-2018, 07:16 PM   #198
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Didn't get much of anything done on the car this weekend. But did get time to research all the connectors / sensors I'm using and started to comb the harness.

Labeled all the used wires @ the ECM.

Pulled them out of the ecm connector, untangled them, then started to route them. Will continue moving power and grounds this week and get everything cleaned up. Also need to figure out where I'm mounting the fuse box and ECM.

Old 01-07-2018, 10:09 PM   #199
Mwilson

holy shit!!! lmao i re wired my instrument cluster yesterday and thought the wires looked crazy OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 01-08-2018, 06:25 AM   #200
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
I know it doesn't seem like much but that is one time consuming task!

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu