HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 06-12-2018, 08:58 PM   #301
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Thanks man I appreciate it!

FINALLY washed this turd after 1.5 years. Man, whoever last buffed this car needs to be whipped. It's burnt and swirled all over it. I'm hoping glaze will pull most of it out but not sure when I'm going to get to it.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2018, 05:35 AM   #302
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Yup, another boring one.

Daughter's boyfriend asked me to go to Cars N Coffee Saturday, then asked if he could ride shotgun. Was still fighting an idle issue but didn't think it'd be too embarrassing to die 4 times while trying to get into a parking space in front of a hundred strangers... Car would cycle back and forth rich/lean, then just die whenever it came down to idle, I'd checked all mechanicals and tuning, couldn't figure out the problem.

On the way there we saw 2 mustangs at the same intersection, I got the green, turned right and pulled a tool move, hit second and hung it sideways all the way through. After that, the idle issue went away. Not sure if I'd gotten cleaner into the TB or water/soap from washing the engine bay, either way I'm ecstatic it comes to a stop running.

Had an old guy with a wooden stool going around taking pictures of everyone's car, he'd drop the stool, stand on it, and get a good angle on each and every car. Luckily I was there when he came by and thanked him for snapping a couple of my turd. He handed me his card, said he enjoyed doing it and to get the pics for free. Hell yea!

Daughter's boyfriend is an amsoil dealer now, had to put some cards out, I'll be running it soon.

This was as the show was winding down, we were waiting for the line to die down before we headed out. I still need to cut the front springs down and get the trim on, and paint the interior, etc. Family items have taken priority for the time being, I'll get to it soon.

Old 06-18-2018, 01:29 PM   #303
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Hate I missed its CnC debut! But I couldn't turn down the chance for some NHRA in Bristol, there is always next months CnC.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 07:07 AM   #304
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Looks great Jeff.
Old 06-20-2018, 11:07 AM   #305
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
Hate I missed its CnC debut! But I couldn't turn down the chance for some NHRA in Bristol, there is always next months CnC.
Hope you got some Leah Pritchett time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
Looks great Jeff.
Appreciate it Eric, I'm happy with the way it's turned out so far. Just dread starting to add up fasteners/trim needed.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:50 PM   #306
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
looks good man glad to see it on the road
Old 06-23-2018, 08:18 PM   #307
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Looking real good!
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2018, 10:50 PM   #308
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys, think I'm going to Piedmont test n tune Thursday night. Tune is about dialed in, now I need traction. Have to pull the front springs, cut them, get alignment, then getting better rims and tires figured out.

Honestly thought the speedo was off in the vid, didn't think I'd gotten that fast. Went back and did the math, rpm matches speed.

Old 06-24-2018, 07:36 PM   #309
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
nice
Old 06-29-2018, 05:46 AM   #310
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got out to the track last night, was a friggin great night. Drove there 30 miles away, drove home, it was a good night.

Found out the track scale was accessible to anyone running, so I bellied right up. Didn't think I was that heavy, but close to full tank and literally full trunk of crap.

My picture of pitiful. I don't think I did too awful bad running on chinese, 500 treadwear, 195/70/14s though? Track was prepped well as some high dollar rides were testing. Car hooked a lot better than I could believe, but if I over shot it was greasy as all hell. Last run was a bummer, had pulled a little fuel out and was going for the gold. Had a super street vega beside me, couldn't hear a damn thing, launched too hard and just spun, called it a night after that.

Ran a 392 hemi charger with slicks, he ran a 9, surprised me, I went all out and got my best time, 8.47.. Then started lining up with this chick in the convertible camaro. Her husband has a dyno, really cool people, live in Denton, going down there soon to check my tune. She was tuned, hotcam kit, headers, and exhaust. First run I completely blew the tires off launching too high (9.86), second run I was able to get her but she was closing in (8.56), video below, you can hear how I had to lug it off the line to keep traction. I messed with fueling a little bit but really need to figure out a better way of doing what I'm doing cause you can't really datalog with the AEM widebands in narrowband mode. I need to set up my phone so I can see the gauges while going wot and datalog that way..

Last edited by Hotwire; 06-29-2018 at 05:54 AM..
Old 06-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #311
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Nice. Can you set up a race tune with o2 feedback disabled and run the wb in wb mode?

Only other thing I'd say is get a set of the new bias ply dot et Street R
Old 06-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #312
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks E,

I could probably run it in open loop and tune it that way but am unsure how that would carry over to closed loop. I'm still just skimming the surface of the LS ECM architecture with not a lot of time to invest into figuring it completely out.
Old 06-29-2018, 01:59 PM   #313
Snowman
ZL1 of thirdgens

Snowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this place
Glad I checked in on this thread.

Great job! I was thinking of going to the track last night, but didn't make it out.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 07:51 PM   #314
Mr. E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Thanks E,

I could probably run it in open loop and tune it that way but am unsure how that would carry over to closed loop. I'm still just skimming the surface of the LS ECM architecture with not a lot of time to invest into figuring it completely out.
I've always preferred to run open loop when wot, and I'd completely shut off closed loop at the track if I had any issues with throttle transitions.
Old 07-02-2018, 06:22 AM   #315
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks guys. E, I'll have to work on it before I go back, but found a bigger problem.

After this weekend I'm hoping it's got more in it. Starting out I could have done some weight reduction before I went to the track. Packed my helmet just in case.

I started looking over my datalogs for the 8.47 and 8.56 pass. O2 sensors were dipping down into the 700mV range which is scary lean. I installed the fuel pressure gauge and went for a ride. With the gauge like this the hood pinched the hose. Ended up pulling the cowl, sticking the gauge through the hole for the wiper motor and mounted my phone outside on the windshield to get a good view of the gauge.

Fuel pressure was dropping down to 30psi at anything over 3200 rpm. The pump had gotten loud but figured it was just something I had to deal with. Dropped the tank and pulled the pump.. this fell out of the feed tube. Assuming this is the antidrain back valve. I've contacted Tanks Inc to see if they'll replace the pump as this only has about 7-800 miles on it. At the same time I ordered a pump from Summit to get it back on the road.

Old 07-09-2018, 05:33 AM   #316
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Just crested a 1,000 miles on the swap and finally got a decent tank full of gas through it, and kept track of it. Including the dragstrip and probably at least 5 ride alongs the car managed 18 mpg. Not too shabby.

Replaced the pump this weekend, Tanks Inc came through with a brand new setup. New pump is really quiet, almost sounds like a stock setup. Moved the older daughter out of the house too, so hopefully cash flow will open up a little, if I can keep the wife from throwing money at them.. This was at their house, swapped out the pump and drove it over there, had to give all the friends a ride.

Old 07-11-2018, 05:14 AM   #317
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

If anyone is still tuned in, Piedmont test n tune Saturday, gates open at 2, racing starts at 3:30. I'll be out there.
Old 07-11-2018, 06:52 AM   #318
Mr. E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
If anyone is still tuned in, Piedmont test n tune Saturday, gates open at 2, racing starts at 3:30. I'll be out there.
I'd love to hit the track again but still have a lot of things to wrap up. I'll have to see how this week goes.
Old 07-11-2018, 08:09 AM   #319
Mwilson

nice man
Old 07-11-2018, 09:26 AM   #320
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
I'd love to hit the track again but still have a lot of things to wrap up. I'll have to see how this week goes.
Get r dun man!
Old 07-14-2018, 08:55 PM   #321
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Made it back to the track with correct fuel pressure and a empty trunk. This is the fastest vehicle I've ever built, not the fastest in the world though. Thoroughly happy with the day. Busted my best time, then drove it 30 miles down the highway to my daughter's house warming party, then drove it home. Awesome day. . There's a lot more left too, can mess with the tune and get better tires, but I'm satisfied right now.

I'm going to study the datalogs and figure out the differences to see how I managed an 8.28 but 3mph slower than other runs.

My daughter's friends were there and caught me running a 392 hemi.

Old 07-30-2018, 05:32 AM   #322
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Bought 2" drop spindles from a friend, got them installed Friday night and aligned Sat morning. I measured the car vs stock assy manual. With the new moog springs and lighter LS motor the car sits 1" above stock height in the front. So w/ the spindles the front is 1" lower than stock, BUT the suspension is sitting in the same position. 64 had just about the worse steering geometry GM put out, unequal length control arms have the camber going all over the place throughout the suspension swing. Guy did the best he could with the alignment but with the suspension still jacked up in the front there's not a whole lot you can do. It's pushing me to start saving for better front end components. Now I'm not chewing tires, but it's pulling to the left.

No more gasser look

Health check on the glove box, still holding but it's getting full of junk.

Going down for another surgery Thursday morning, blew out a disc in my lower back. Not that it matters but thread will probably be going cold for a little while. I'm "planning" on working on the trim while I'm healing, but who the hell knows what kind of shape I'll be in.
Old 07-30-2018, 07:05 AM   #323
Mwilson

heal up
Old 07-31-2018, 08:52 PM   #324
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
God Speed on the back. I've had 2 surgeries for blown discs. I'd exhaust all possible other treatments before surgery, as my 2nd one went bad. Had pain for the past 18 years. But you know your body best....just do your research and good luck.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 06:14 AM   #325
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
heal up
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
God Speed on the back. I've had 2 surgeries for blown discs. I'd exhaust all possible other treatments before surgery, as my 2nd one went bad. Had pain for the past 18 years. But you know your body best....just do your research and good luck.
Thanks guys, I greatly appreciate it. Been doing 1 ensure and GNC mega man daily vitamins to pump my body up for the surgery/healing. Best advice I ever got, usually bounce back from surgeries pretty well. Gives your body all the vitamins and nutrients you need to fuel the healing as the food nowadays doesn't give you the fuel you need.

This neurosurgeon is the one that's been in my back 3 times before and you'd never know it looking at me. Hoping this one goes the same way.

On a funnier note, sometimes you just can't unsee things. Had a pic of the chevelle's title, googled the address. This explains a lot...

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

https://goo.gl/maps/H6zd88se7GH2

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu