Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 02-24-2014, 08:32 PM   #1
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

1SC might have posted something useful at one time
Family Heirloom

This past weekend I went to GA and brought home a vehicle that has been in my family for 40+ years. My grandpa bought it before I was born, and myself and all the other grandkids in the family have spent many hours playing in this thing and getting rides in it. Lots of memories in this thing. This Christmas my grandpa told me he wanted me to take it, he knows I am probably the only one that would be able to rebuild it. I hope I can accomplish that in time for my grandpa to see it.

The details of it have been forgotten for years, but from what I have been able to determine so far it is made out of parts of at least 3 different vehicles. The dash plate identifies the body as a 1942 Ford GPW military jeep. The front end I believe is CJ2-a or maybe CJ-3a, and the chassis seems to be Willys and not Ford. I believe the engine to be a Willys "Hurricane" f-head, maybe from the mid 50's or early 60's. Drivetrain is most likely original Willys T-90 3-speed and Dana 18 transfer case, although I haven't yet scraped off the layers of grease and grime to find out for sure.
The body is much rougher than it appears in these pics, it has been patched up many times with metal welded over the top of rusted out areas. The back half of the tub may not even be original with the front half. One thing that is odd is that the fuel tank is under the frame in the back, but all early CJ's had the fuel tank under the driver's seat with a filler hold on the side. I think it may be a later modification, because the original design was notoriously dangerous.

Hopefully it'll be in a Project thread before long. My first task is just breaking it down to see what all I'm dealing with. It does run, barely. It ran long enough to drive it onto a car trailer, after getting push started. It'll probably get a different 4-cylinder engine, but I'm going to try and keep as much of the original chassis and drivetrain as possible.
1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 08:43 PM   #2
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
That's pretty cool
Old 02-24-2014, 09:02 PM   #3
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.
Running/driving is a good place to start!
mulletless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:25 PM   #4
mulletless
(pronounced mullet-less)

mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.mulletless is actually making some sense.
I'm not 100% sure on this, but from what I've heard ... if it's not titled yet, you might want to try to get it titled in it's current state, before you start restoring it. Right now, it looks like a plausibly real "old vehicle" that has had many parts replaced, and would be easier to get titled as such.

But if you try to get it titled after the restoration, they might think you just created it, and make you title it as a "new" vehicle (which would require modern emissions, etc).
mulletless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:39 PM   #5
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

Yeah, it has no title, I need to look into what is required to get one. Doesn't even have a VIN for that matter. Nothing but a 5 digit serial number on the dash plate.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:48 AM   #6
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Very cool

You can get it titled in NC using an indemnity bond.. Print out the forms from online (I believe some had to be notarized) get the bond, then bring all the paperwork, along with the Jeep to the NC DMV license and theft bureau..They will do an inspection, take a bunch of photos, and then submit the paperwork.. You then bring all that paper work to the DMV for plates... Meanwhile the license and theft bureau will do a title search in every state, if there is an existing title still in the system in any other state, you will have some extra work to do.. The one I had to do it on was last registered in 1983, and did not show in the system any longer in the state it came from.. But do this BEFORE dumping a bunch of cash into it, just in case you run into problems getting a title.
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:03 AM   #7
ABeasst
I wanna go fast!!

ABeasst is without a doubt too mature for this placeABeasst is without a doubt too mature for this placeABeasst is without a doubt too mature for this placeABeasst is without a doubt too mature for this placeABeasst is without a doubt too mature for this placeABeasst is without a doubt too mature for this placeABeasst is without a doubt too mature for this place
Nice. We have a 1964 CJ5 that's been in our family since it was new. Its even been rolled once before. Mayhem rebuilt the drivetrain and now it runs like a top.
ABeasst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 09:20 AM   #8
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

Good to know that Mayhem has worked on one before . My goal is going to be to rebuild all the drivetrain, chassis, suspension and add some modifications to try and make it somewhat roadworthy. I want to be able to drive it to an off road destination. That could be easier said than done though, it was never designed or for any type of speed or highway use, it was designed to crawl over pretty much anything at a walking pace. I believe the stock axle gearing is 5.38:1.
The advice to pursue titling it first is well heeded, I'm going to look into that. It is going to be a while before I can tear into it anyway, I've got to first set up a place to do it.

Last edited by 1SC; 02-25-2014 at 09:24 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 09:49 AM   #9
chodieeas
Super Moderator

chodieeas has disabled reputation
The passenger side tires on that Jeep are freaking awesome. Can you still read the make of them? I'd put some on my Tacoma....lol
chodieeas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 11:15 AM   #10
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

^ they are tractor tires ... I can tell you the make when I get home, I forget off the top of my head
Old 02-25-2014, 12:27 PM   #11
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Give Grandpa what he really wants!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IAoeyAJ6XXk
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 01:32 PM   #12
Filapoosis
4 Door race car

Filapoosis has disabled reputation
Go figure...Chode wants to put tractor tires on something.
Filapoosis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 02:32 PM   #13
chodieeas
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filapoosis View Post
Go figure...Chode wants to put tractor tires on something.
LMAO.....those tires are badass.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:30 PM   #14
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chodieeas View Post
LMAO.....those tires are badass.
They are called Fleetwood DL-78 Traction. I couldn't find anything on Google, those tires probably haven't been made in decades. I think it still has the same tires it had on it when I was a kid.
Old 02-25-2014, 06:49 PM   #15
chodieeas
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SC View Post
They are called Fleetwood DL-78 Traction. I couldn't find anything on Google, those tires probably haven't been made in decades. I think it still has the same tires it had on it when I was a kid.
LOL.....thanks for looking! Badass project for sure!
Old 02-25-2014, 02:19 PM   #16
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

So, anyone know one of these DMV 'inspectors'? I've been doing some research, and it looks like I'm in for a nightmare to try and get a title for this thing. It has every worst case scenario going for it, out of state, parts from different vehicles, never been titled before, no VIN, etc...
I'm thinking I need to talk to someone on the 'inside' that is sympathetic and could tell me the best way to proceed.
Old 02-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #17
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1SC View Post
So, anyone know one of these DMV 'inspectors'? I've been doing some research, and it looks like I'm in for a nightmare to try and get a title for this thing. It has every worst case scenario going for it, out of state, parts from different vehicles, never been titled before, no VIN, etc...
I'm thinking I need to talk to someone on the 'inside' that is sympathetic and could tell me the best way to proceed.

The serial numbers are the VIN, back then they were 5-6 digits long.
Out of state is not a problem, The license and theft bureau will check every state anyway.

See the link below for what is required.

http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR92A.pdf

here is form MVR-92H
http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR92H.pdf

and here is the MVR-1
http://www.ncdot.gov/download/dmv/VR_MVR1.pdf

both forms will have to be notarized.
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 08:27 PM   #18
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
very neat project!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 09:03 PM   #19
Slow Nova
My car is slow!

Slow Nova might have posted something useful at one timeSlow Nova might have posted something useful at one time
LS swap!
Old 02-27-2014, 07:53 AM   #20
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Nova View Post
LS swap!
It won't be anything like that. I want to keep the original drivetrain, except for the engine. Right now I'm leaning towards a Ford 2.0 or 2.3 "Pinto" engine swap. It's one of the more 'natural' engine swaps for it that can work with the original transmission and you can make pretty good power with them for a 4-cylinder. More than enough for anything I would do with the jeep.

I talked to one of the DMV inspectors in Durham, really friendly guy. Since it has no previous title I will have to go the bond route which kinda sucks. On the plus side, he will come out to the house to inspect it, so I don't have to trailer it to Raleigh or anything. It sounds like there will be a ton of paperwork and trips to DMV offices, but he didn't think I would have a problem getting a title.
Old 03-13-2014, 10:39 AM   #21
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

Couldn't figure out how to embed video, but it runs!

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/1...14005373013862

Had to rebuild the carb and jerry-rig the starter to prevent it from binding up long enough to turn the engine. Also disconnected the nasty old fuel tank and just ran a house into an old paint thinner jug.
I'd say it has just a wee bit of play on that water pump pulley! The crank pulley doesn't look much better
Old 03-14-2014, 06:18 PM   #22
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
it's got quite an interesting sound! exhaust leak? or is that the pulleys moving around?

That exhaust manifold looks alot like the rams horns on the old small block chevys...
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:43 AM   #23
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

I think what the camera picked up was mostly the noise from the belt, pulleys, and valvetrain. It's also got a little rod knock, and not much in the way of a muffler. The F-134 is one step away from a 'flathead' engine, and is basically a tractor engine. It pretty much sounds like a tractor idling.
Old 03-23-2014, 06:58 PM   #24
melo yelo

melo yelo is a good little Junkie
Cool, I would keep it as basic and as simple as possible.
melo yelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2017, 02:12 PM   #25
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

Looked a little slow around here and I was bored, so I thought I'd post a little update of this project. It's slow going, but I've made progress. spent 3 months building the bellhousing that I documented in the Garage forum, and then a lot of last year off and on working on the frame.
I boxed it, strapped it, replaced the front frame horns and crossmember, and built a rear bumper. Then got it mocked up with new Alcan springs.
Axles are a Dana 44 and Dana 30 from a CJ5 parts jeep.
Rebuilt the trans and transfer case, and got that all mocked up with the bellhousing and engine to build engine mounts and customize the trans mount.
That's pretty much where it sits now, I have a mocked up rolling chassis. I have a bunch of details to finish with that and then it will be on to body work. At some point I'll be taking it all apart again to do final welding and assembly and painting. Probably 2 years or more away from a running Jeep though.