Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 10-28-2017, 08:52 PM   #1
99silverTAguy

99silverTAguy might have posted something useful at one time
Brake lights won't go off

The brake lights on my inlaws 01 astrovan work van stay lit when the car is running. All of the lights are lit: left, right, and third. They will go off if you put on the right signal, but the right signal does not blink, it stays solid. The left signal works as it should and will blink. Anyone have any ideas of what is wrong?
Old 10-29-2017, 03:24 PM   #2
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
Don't know about an Astrovan, but most cars, the brake light is controlled by a switch at the foot pedal on the linkage. Crawl under the dash and look around the foot pedal. The switches sometimes stick, or in some cases are NC, held open...Meaning the natural position of the pedal holds the plunger in and keeps the light off...as soon as you push the pedal off the switch, the brake lights come on. Sometimes through wear or mis-adjustment, the piece that pushes the switch in gets out of alignment or doesn't push it in far enough, and the lights will stay on. That's how my Dakota is anyway.
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2017, 03:33 PM   #3
99silverTAguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
Don't know about an Astrovan, but most cars, the brake light is controlled by a switch at the foot pedal on the linkage. Crawl under the dash and look around the foot pedal. The switches sometimes stick, or in some cases are NC, held open...Meaning the natural position of the pedal holds the plunger in and keeps the light off...as soon as you push the pedal off the switch, the brake lights come on. Sometimes through wear or mis-adjustment, the piece that pushes the switch in gets out of alignment or doesn't push it in far enough, and the lights will stay on. That's how my Dakota is anyway.
I donít think itís the switch because they only stay lit once you turn the car on, not when itís off.
Old 10-29-2017, 06:22 PM   #4
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
When the car is off and you press the brake pedal does the brake light come on? That would indicate a working switch.
Old 10-30-2017, 06:35 PM   #5
99silverTAguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
When the car is off and you press the brake pedal does the brake light come on? That would indicate a working switch.
They work fine when the car is not running most of the time. Sometimes only the third brake light will light up though. Also if I turn on the hazards it just makes them all solid, they donít flash
Old 10-31-2017, 05:10 AM   #6
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
I know this sounds weird, but the only thing all those different systems have in common is the turn signal switch. Try wiggling the stalk when the symptoms come up and see if they go away. I've heard of the switches going bad, but it's always random symptoms that they cause.

*EDIT* Unless it has a trailer wiring harness? Sometimes the harnesses with LEDs in them short out causing problems, but I don't think that's the problem because you have 12v coming in with the key on..
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 07:17 AM   #7
robertmee

Also check for burnt bulbs...these systems use pass through continuity of the bulb filament for flasher operation. Usually a solid hazard light means one of the four bulbs is burnt.
Old 10-31-2017, 02:41 PM   #8
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
Check your hazard switch. They had similar problems with the s/t trucks and had a recall.
Old 11-04-2017, 08:35 AM   #9
99silverTAguy

Ok i replaced the turn signal switch and wiring, it still does it. I found it only does it when the headlights or parking lights are turned on. When the car starts the headlights automatically come on. When the cars off and I turn the head lights on it does the same thing. Brake lights all come on. Anyone know what could cause this?
Old 11-04-2017, 11:00 AM   #10
99silverTAguy

It’s fixed. I replaced all the rear bulbs. The passenger side reverse socket wouldn’t let the bulb go back in, so it’s messed up. But with all new bulbs and no reverse bulb everything works fine (minus the passenger reverse light).