HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 05-30-2017, 09:37 AM   #101
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Finally had everybody else's stuff working so I could have a little chevelle time.

Following this thread on LS1Tech ( https://ls1tech.com/forums/conversio...cars-40-a.html ), I cut up my gas tank box, made sure it fit, then trimmed up the excess.

Transferred to sheet metal

Tried my hand at braking, no bueno, 18 ga steel means business.

Even tried more cowbell, no go. Luckily had a friend with a brake that I've helped out in the past. He stopped by to check the car out and grabbed the sheet. Picking it up tomorrow.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2017, 09:57 AM   #102
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
wow that looks good!
Old 05-30-2017, 09:58 AM   #103
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
if you were closer Id break it for you
Old 05-30-2017, 11:01 AM   #104
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Good stuff.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2017, 05:58 AM   #105
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate the offer Mike!

When the friend can't follow directions, lines, or his own handwriting.

The metal is thick, I don't have anything heavy/stationery enough to pound on it, so I'll have to figure out someway to knock this into the shape I need. Kinda screwed me on the passenger side, asked for 3 30 degree angles and got 2 45s so it doesn't even come close to matching the firewall. I've ignored the car for the past 2 days so I don't break anything hammering out frustration. I wasn't looking for anything near perfect, but missing one full callout on an angle just put a lot more work on my plate.
Old 06-02-2017, 06:13 AM   #106
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

I pulled the panties off last night, hit it with my purse, and got it about how I want it. Basically sat it on the garage floor and beat the sharp angles out of it. Where I needed the extra curve on the pass side, I sat the metal in the leftover angle iron and hit it with a pick hammer until it stretched out to match the firewall, then dollied it smooth. Still needs a little more work to smooth out the major hammer blows, but it has nice radius's that match the factory contours now, and got rid of the sharp angles that didn't work in the car. It feels like Freddy Krueger's face but hoping dynamat, sound deadener, and carpet will hide the ugly on down the road. Lol it'll be painted and in your face for a while though.

The rear of it twisted counter-clockwise with all the hammering, had to put it in the vice to tweak it back, it will go flat once I tack it in. Hoping to knock this off the list this weekend.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:30 AM   #107
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

I beat this bish with the ugly stick, started burning it in, then ran out of wire and gas about the same time. I'm about 1/3 of the way through welding in the tunnel. C25 in the back of the Tahoe, not sure whether to refill or tank swap somewhere? Going to hit Northern Tool and Airgas, they're both right around the corner from work.

Old 06-05-2017, 05:58 AM   #108
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Nice work. I usually tank swap mix at TSC.
Old 06-05-2017, 12:16 PM   #109
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks E. I got a bit of a family discount at Northern Tool. #4 tank swap, $21 for tank exchange fee, $45 for full tank. Didn't seem too bad. After this I can exchange tanks w/o the swap fee and they're open late 7 days a week.

Also got a 10 lb reel of .030" solid wire, hoping to get some more done tonight.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:21 PM   #110
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Had to make all the new metal waterproof for the next steps, so I laid down a crap layer of Rustoleum

First time it's seen sunlight in a while

Craigslist frame off resto, first time it's seen soap and water since I've owned it. Just knocking big chunks off so I won't have as much to do before paint goes on. Also got my holes drilled for the engine mounts.

Leftover sheet metal

Weird seeing this floor again. That pile is metal dust if you want to know how much grinding I've had to do. Not quitting my day job.

Old 06-20-2017, 08:28 PM   #111
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Pulled the front end apart tonight, there's a lot more grease than I anticipated. Contemplating hooking the engine hoist to the frame and pushing it back outside for another wash. Not sure how I could clean it in the garage without making a complete mess. Started wire brushing the frame but was smearing grease more than anything.

You can see how much is falling off in the pics, still a lot stuck on the frame, floor was clean before I started.

Working on late model stuff pretty much all my life has me really focusing on this steering shaft. All I've ever worked on was collapsing shafts. This thing is just rigid as a mofo hanging in space.

Anyone keeping track at home, 9. Total of 9 spacers in the front springs.. Shocks and ball joints are dead. Lower joints are complete trash, uppers are factory, semi tight, but very notchy. Centerlink joint @ the Pittman arm has inch of slop. Bushings were being held together by the bolts.

Definitely got the full life of those bushings..

Little purchase, arp flywheel bolts, ac delco pilot bearing, centerlink, ball joints, grade 8 hardware for the engine mounts, and poly bushings for the front.

Old 06-22-2017, 09:34 AM   #112
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got driver's side pretty much cleaned up last night, hoping to get pass side and a-arms done tonight.

Feeling better about my welds after uncovering some of these in the frame..

Old 06-23-2017, 01:05 PM   #113
Mwilson

looking great
Old 06-24-2017, 03:43 PM   #114
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man, definitely trying!

Got frame wire brushed, now just have to wipe it down to degrease it then lay on some paint.

This car was nasty, yet another example, this was removing the balljoint. You can see how much buildup there was, just started exuding out..

Got the arms disassembled, made a friggin mess knocking all the crap off

Then took everything outside with some 505 degreaser and purple power. Finally clean metal.

Old 06-26-2017, 06:32 AM   #115
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Yup, another piddily update. This crap is a serious time sink.

Wire wheeled, DA'd, then wiped down the firewall with mineral spirits, put a coat of "professional" Rustoleum semi-gloss black on there, it's all one color, about all I can say about it. At this point I'm just going to get stuff coated, not going for a show winner.

Firewall, inner fenders, and wheel wells will get semigloss, frame is going to be gloss black, debating on going with black on the a-arms or use the hammered silver?

Trust me, it's a good 60 footer.. Debating on going back and filling in all the unused bolt / wire holes..

But comparing it to where I started, it takes the edge off somewhat..

Last edited by Hotwire; 06-26-2017 at 06:53 AM..
Old 06-27-2017, 05:25 AM   #116
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

awww yesssss got another one!!

After degreasing 3 times, wirewheeling, wire brushing, AND attempted sanding, this is the way the underside of the arms looked.

Finally dug out the blast cabinet, now I'm thinking of all the different stuff I can put in there.. dammit.

Wiped down w/ mineral spirits, rinsed w/ brakleen, ready to go

Using brush on Rustoleum due to it's thick and hopefully holds on decently, it wasn't that expensive, and I honestly don't care how it looks as long as it doesn't rust and doesn't drop sh!t into my eyes every time I go under the car.

Old 06-27-2017, 07:57 AM   #117
1wildcoupe
BigBlockPowa!!!!!

1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place
Great progress so far with the car, Jeff!! I cant wait to be this far along on my 70 chevelle aswell.

90' CHEVY 454SS
1wildcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:58 AM   #118
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks Jaimie, these things suck the f'in time right out of ya! I'm patting a valvecover every time I walk by the 6.0.. at least a 100 times a night now.
Old 06-27-2017, 07:39 PM   #119
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Paint turned out better than I anticipated! Would love to do the whole frame, but that's on down the road..

Arms are loaded up, just have to paint the washers/bolts, then lube up bushings and install. Sigh, now have to pull spindles apart and clean them up.. smh..

Bracing myself for a shock/coil spring order and some other piddly stuff.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:29 PM   #120
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Brown Santa dropped off a couple boxes. Springs, shocks, tie rod ends, adjuster sleeves, etc

got some tools out and burned up some work frustrations

Remember when this guy was clean? (Used it under the car to clean the frame and catch the crud) then the a arms, now the spindles..

Cleaned up the spindles, splash shields, brake abutment brackets, and steering arms. Looks like the spindles had factory paint markers on them, army green on back, orange on top.

Threw them em in the blast cabinet, brakleen'd everything, then peeled the skim coat off the paint bucket, added some flat black to what was in there (had the most), and loaded it on the parts.

Had to help my brother work on his truck, he hung around and helped me pry the lower arms in. Getting closer.

Old 07-11-2017, 08:20 AM   #121
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
Bravo!! Getting it done .
Old 07-11-2017, 08:35 PM   #122
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevymec View Post
Bravo!! Getting it done .
Thanks man, I'm definitely trying.

Little more time wrenching

Got the springs installed, very intimidating as they're really tall, but their spring rate is less than s10s (what I'm used to) so they compressed with little drama.

Before

After

Looking pretty damn good if I do say so myself.

Old 07-24-2017, 05:42 AM   #123
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Been working 60+ hour weeks, finally got a day in the garage. A.D.D. kicked in and I wasn't sure where/what to start. Ended up piecing the new parts for the steering together and hanging them off the spindles. Then pulled the old tank. Literally had to hang off of it and wiggle it to get it to drop.

Found the last of em... hopefully. I'd fully hosed the interior of the car down and left all kinds of bait traps. Damn things are huge.

I'd underestimated the PO repairs. 2 different colored bondos coming through the trunk along with some type of glue. I did not have to worry about loose tank straps, this thing was in there. Check out the huge glob of whatever if you look towards the driver's shock.

Noticed I'd finally succeeded in getting my red rider.

Spent the rest of the day cutting off the "think" trailer hitch angle iron on the frame, smoothing it out, cutting down the bondo chunks, chasing rust and dirt, degreasing, and painting the underside of the trunk. I also got the new gas tank assembled but need to purchase gasket sealer as recommended in the instructions. I'm also glad I did get the new tank, old one has a lot of crap in it, could hear it sliding around as I walked it out to the scrap pile.

Next up, dropping the rear, degreasing/painting rear/upper and lower arms, most likely ordering rear poly bushings as the originals are shot, notice body bushings are pretty bad off as well.. Then replacing springs/shocks, installing 3.73 gears, praying I ordered the right diff / axle spline count, getting tank installed, running gas lines, then start getting everything together. I also have to force myself to pull the engine covers, clean/paint, install new gaskets.. Lot to do, but can widdle it down pretty quickly if I can stay motivated.
Old 07-24-2017, 07:02 AM   #124
Mwilson

gorgeous makes me want to tear my car down this winter
Old 07-25-2017, 05:53 AM   #125
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

lol, man, it's far from purty but I'm just trying to do what I can so that I don't have to worry about it falling apart under me as I take it down the road.

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu