HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 04-01-2019, 05:34 AM   #376
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Car is looking great!!
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2019, 08:05 AM   #377
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Thanks man, between being blocked at work and the virus issues I rarely get to come around here. Couple of small updates.

Summit turbo mufflers made in USA, Summit stainless 409 mufflers (magnaflow knock off) made in China. Ordered 2 turbos while they were on sale. Figure if they sound good and are quiet enough I can finally install the QTP cutouts.

Got tired of the sun visor flapping around so I ordered new ones. Pass side was original and falling apart, driver's was custom leather that felt like a elephant's dick. Glad to be rid of both of them.

New visors brings up the point that I need to clean, paint, install sound deadener, and purchase a headliner.

PUI Interiors= thumbs up

After quickly installing them took the daughter to practice and got a dirty pic leaving. Hoping to get it washed up soon.

Picked up this heater ducting on ebay for $20 shipped. Going down the road I could have my ankles sweating and the passenger side would be 60 degrees. I was getting all the heat due to fan location / direction of forced air. This brought the air flow back into balance.

Sad thing is there's a beautifully cast bowtie on the bottom of that duct that you'll never see. Not sure why GM spent time to put it there..

Ol girl finally got a some love, last time I was able to wash it was right before the Christmas Eve ride along. It was dirty.. Even went the extra mile and cleaned the engine bay / wiped down the dash w/ quick detailer. I'm surprised at how much it brought the paint back to life on the dash, plan on wiping down the paint in the engine bay too as it's dulled down since I first got it together.

Looks as though I need to do some touching up too, it's starting to look rough. Lol, well, rougher than before..

In between the 4 softball games this weekend I had a chance to swap out the mufflers. Made a significant difference to the point I'm driving the chevelle more than my daily. Think it also brought back some midrange power, I'm not complaining one bit.

The 2 main reasons for getting the summit mufflers were cost and form factor. They were direct bolt ins. After going from flowmaster to magnaflow on the blazer, the size/pipe location differences were surprising, didn't want to have to do major surgery.

New muffler looked to be 2.75"ish all the way through

Old muffler, basically looked like glasspack inside, but with a small 1" hole @ the end of the run?

Summit racing fully welded turbo mufflers, sound like clapped out glass packs

https://youtu.be/cfjmXaL37TE

Videos of new muffler; daughter started filming vertically, I mentioned to her several times I need horizontal to put on youtube, here's the result. Will get updated video soon. I know the mufflers will carbon up and get louder, but this is just such a welcome change from ears ringing every time I drive it. You can carry on a conversation inside the car now. It has a throaty, tubular sound that is audible bliss. Younger daughter says I ruined the car because it's too quiet now. You can hear it echoing in the vid..

You may have to download to listen.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1c8...CXAyHAVaI0he3i

older dork rode with me on next vid, started breaking loose in 2nd, need to redo it so the pedal effort matches other muffler video for good comparison.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1Pn...BTjuQpDZlQALsq
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2019, 02:28 PM   #378
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
car is still looking good!

Great choice on the new mufflers, sounds like a proper muscle car now! They will probably change in tone a bit as they get some heat cycles and break in.
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 05:43 AM   #379
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks Joel.

Have a green light for Piedmont tomorrow night, going to see if I can get a lower 60'/et. Don't have anyone going with me so unfortunately won't have any outside vids.
Old 04-04-2019, 08:34 PM   #380
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Good night fellers, drove there, ran, drove home, all I wanted out of the night. Best part was upping my personal et and mph. Last best was 8.28 and 87.37mph.

New best is 8.25 and 88.73. My 60 ft still sucks, the 205s helped but didn't really do much.

This was the last run. Went up against a hellcat with a drag pack. He was strolling, I scratched the hell out of 4th, figured it was a good time to stop.

On the way home I've been wanting to stop at this one spot forever and get pics. The lighting was beyond perfect tonight, had to stop.

Last edited by Hotwire; 04-04-2019 at 08:44 PM..
Old 04-28-2019, 09:31 PM   #381
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Ok guys, had a helluva week! Did a bomber run to the beach Wednesday (480 miles round trip), then got up Thursday, shined the Ol girl up, packed, and headed south. 300 miles later I ended up in the garage with my buddy working on his badass Nova. Got some odds and ends tied up.

Also got to sample his wheel surplus hoping something would work. Unfortunately whoever replaced the rear quarters butchered the lips, both sets didn't have enough offset to clear.

After wrenching we headed further south and met up with another bud for another awesome weekend of burning rubber and high octane guy stuff.

Beat the hell out of the car keeping up with them in traffic then trying to beat my own time on the autocross. Did the best I could, which wasn't that great, but had a lot of fun learning the car's extents. I've got the power output now I have to work on suspension, grip, and brakes.

https://youtu.be/KojEWB45AUo

After the days activities they allowed you 2 laps on the actual speedway. Man the 24 banking is sketchy at first but afterwards all you want to do is mat the gas and hang on.

https://youtu.be/l49auEdzCwU

Was a great weekend hanging with my buds, wrenching, racing, then driving home with 0 problems.
Old 04-29-2019, 06:03 PM   #382
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Cool

looks like it was a fun time all around!
Old 04-30-2019, 05:12 AM   #383
patl

patl has no rep around here.
Ls motors just plain work...
Just for comparision.
My 64 had an old school 355, hump heads, 3''exhaust and single chamber muffs with 2.5'' tail pipes, 4.56 12 bolt and 3000 stall.
Best et was 8.12 @ around 87 mph on 275 TA radials.
Had to deal with poor mileage and lots of noise and heat from the 300 duration camshaft. (Sounded awesome)
You're putting together a nice driver.
95 gmc sonoma stock 5.3 (7.96 8th)
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2019, 08:28 AM   #384
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
cool road trip
Old 05-01-2019, 08:24 PM   #385
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by patl View Post
Ls motors just plain work...
Just for comparision.
My 64 had an old school 355, hump heads, 3''exhaust and single chamber muffs with 2.5'' tail pipes, 4.56 12 bolt and 3000 stall.
Best et was 8.12 @ around 87 mph on 275 TA radials.
Had to deal with poor mileage and lots of noise and heat from the 300 duration camshaft. (Sounded awesome)
You're putting together a nice driver.
You remember what your 60 foot was?

Thanks guys, honestly most fun I've had in a car with my clothes on!

UMI Performance was out of the track taking pics. I was slow, they had time to get decent shots. Ol girl was out there doing work.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:58 PM   #386
rcktpwrd

AWESOME pics!!!!

It's crazy how bad the old cars front suspension geometry is!
Old 05-06-2019, 06:33 AM   #387
patl

60 times were 1.8 on T/A's. Leaving at dead idle stomping it to the floor on the last amber.
Old 05-06-2019, 08:31 AM   #388
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
1.8's on TA Radials!
Old 05-07-2019, 05:21 AM   #389
patl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
1.8's on TA Radials!
Ha...Got to have worn out suspension for it to work
Old 05-07-2019, 05:44 AM   #390
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
AWESOME pics!!!!

It's crazy how bad the old cars front suspension geometry is!
Man this is just about the worse geometrical design in GM's history. Positive camber on compression, negative on rebound, bump steer out the ass, everything, EVERYTHING is wrong. Lol, If you look close at the pics above my front tires look like wiper blades, they got chewed up pretty good. I'm ready to change things around. Put feelers out for side work trying to build up the car fund.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
1.8's on TA Radials!
No doubt! If I could pull off a 1.8 I'd be strutting around like a king! Those new lower control arms just took every ounce of slop out of the rear. I'm going to need better tires before I can pull off anything better. Then I have to start worrying about the rear.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:54 AM   #391
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Forgot I didn't update on the new rear control arms..

My buddy with a 65 chevelle wagon changed his suspension around and sold me his old lower control arms and sway bar. These things are solid as hell and have solid spherical bushings. Probably added 20 lbs to the rear of the car!

It's a stellar improvement over the stock control arms / poly bushings.

It took me less than an hour to change into garage clothes, jack the car up, knock the old arms out, and install the new ones. Needless to say, there was some excitement happening.

I had to get out the ratchet strap to pull the axle forward a little to line everything up. Checked pinion angle afterwards and it was off more than before. I set to trying to crank the upper arms in further than they already were but didn't get much better. Final working angle is 1.6 degrees. I will have to take the arms off and cut down the male/female threaded portions to get them any shorter. Might be better off trying to nose the engine down first.

Cleared the tools out this morning, dumped the new tune, and headed in to work. My god what a difference! Before you could feel the rear almost squirm when under power. It was like sitting on a living thing, like being on a horse, you could feel it breathing if that makes sense? I had to minimally correct when going under power as it would move around and going over bridge abutments the car would crab. This is the funniest thing for me to say, now it's like a machine. It's solid, predictable, and just frigging goes. On the highway coming in I dropped down into 3rd at 70mph and hit it, it was like someone smacked me in the back with a baseball bat. Just clean, solid acceleration.

Also got my cruise control back w/ the updated tune, god it's so nice to just hit a button, sit back, and cruise.

Old 05-07-2019, 07:06 AM   #392
patl

They call that "the g-body shuffle..."
Old 05-07-2019, 02:05 PM   #393
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Autocross looks like fun!
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2019, 12:51 PM   #394
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Knocked the cobwebs off this salty bitch, debating on throwing some money at interior and suspension parts. Sucks cause I just want go fast parts.

Old 07-31-2019, 09:06 AM   #395
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Man, this is a pretty dang sweet project! Nice work!
http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #396
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbed440 View Post
Man, this is a pretty dang sweet project! Nice work!
Thanks man, I appreciate it! Looking forward to seeing your thread dust them cobwebs off too!!
Old 08-02-2019, 06:01 AM   #397
Mwilson

nice

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu