Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 02-13-2018, 08:02 AM   #1
Killerarmy
KILLA BEEZ STING

Killerarmy has disabled reputation
E85 Content Level

For those who's running E85 in your ride,do you know how high the content level of the E85 you're running.I was reading this article on LS1tech mentioning that E85 can vary between 51-85% content level. I'm going to switch over to E85 on 2002 Camaro SS and i want to straight E85 content level not anything below that.I know Sheetz runs E85 but how high the content level of the E85.

I found the article on LS1tech mentioning E85 can varies between 51-85% content level.

( Lastly, the actual ethanol content in E85 can widely vary in different areas from anywhere between 51-85%. The consequences of running E85 that has a significantly lower ethanol content in a car tuned for 85% ethanol content can have catastrophic results, aka things can go boom! )

I do not want it to go BOOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Killerarmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 11:46 AM   #2
theheder

theheder has no rep around here.
I run 93 and E85 in my 2010 CTS-V at @750rwhp. It is true that the actual percentage can vary greatly.

In an accurately tuned ride with a quality E85 sensor, the tune will automatically scale with the E content that you are currently at. I have run full tanks straight 93 when in areas that don't have E85 available. I have also run full tanks of E85 with varying content between 60-83%. I have also run half 93 and half E85 with my Aeroforce gauge showing around 20% E.

All of this without changing anything on the car. The tune manages it all.

I guess my point is that it can be safely done with good parts and an experienced tuner.

*Edit* Don't expect to regularly find E85 from the pump with an actual 85% ethanol content. MAYBE if you buy it by the barrel you could get that.

Last edited by theheder; 02-13-2018 at 12:11 PM..
theheder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 09:54 PM   #3
HotSoup

HotSoup has disabled reputation
Run flex fuel, and you wont have to worry about it.
HotSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2018, 08:35 AM   #4
Killerarmy
KILLA BEEZ STING

I can have all the parts to run flex fuel like (Fuel Pump,Inj) and other parts. The main issues is that my ecm from my 2002 Camaro SS is not designed or equip to handle going between regular and corn base fuel. You can only choice one or the other.
Old 02-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Filapoosis
4 Door race car

Filapoosis has disabled reputation
We can run a different PCM that will allow you to add a flex sensor.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:43 AM   #6
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Yup, get a blue/green ECM from a newer Tahoe, Silverado, Suburban and you're set. I'll be doing the exact thing on down the road in my chevelle. Have larger injectors and flex fuel sensor sitting on the shelf waiting on me. It's one wire from flex sensor to ECM, power, ground, then you can adjust the tune to the alcohol content.

Look up sloppy mechanics on youtube. Matt spent some time making videos about the flex sensor, he was hooking it up to a microsquirt box, but the sensor still operates the same w/ GM ecm.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2018, 07:29 AM   #7
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Around here it's always been 84 to 86%. I don't have a flex setup, or even a gauge. I just fill a 5 gallon jug & use the test tube method to confirm, then I top off the car and drum.
Old 02-15-2018, 12:24 PM   #8
spray'n mach 1
kiss your ass goodbye

spray'n mach 1 is actually making some sense.spray'n mach 1 is actually making some sense.spray'n mach 1 is actually making some sense.
sheetz here in lynchburg normally test between 80 and 90%. the guys here test it at every fill up and post the results since alot of people here are on it. good luck
1993 Mustang coupe..sold
spray'n mach 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 02:16 PM   #9
Blk Death
Speed of dumb

Blk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this placeBlk Death is without a doubt too mature for this place
The Sheetz in Greensboro always tested above 80% when I used it in my turbo car.

General James Mattis
Blk Death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2018, 03:22 PM   #10
1wildcoupe
BigBlockPowa!!!!!

1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place
So if i wanted to add a flex sensor to my truck thats on a red/blue ecm now, id just have to repin my red connector for a green and use the newer ecm? Im interested in doing that!!

90' CHEVY 454SS
1wildcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 06:36 AM   #11
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1wildcoupe View Post
So if i wanted to add a flex sensor to my truck thats on a red/blue ecm now, id just have to repin my red connector for a green and use the newer ecm? Im interested in doing that!!
Yup. Blue connector, pin 56. Run this wire and switched 12 volt to sensor, ground on frame, you're good to go. Just have to add flex fuel tune to your ecm.

Last edited by Hotwire; 02-20-2018 at 06:39 AM..
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:10 AM   #12
1wildcoupe
BigBlockPowa!!!!!

1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place1wildcoupe is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Yup. Blue connector, pin 56. Run this wire and switched 12 volt to sensor, ground on frame, you're good to go. Just have to add flex fuel tune to your ecm.
Easy enough then! Thanks Jeff!

90' CHEVY 454SS
1wildcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2018, 07:36 AM   #13
Killerarmy
KILLA BEEZ STING

Now we need somebody to hit all the Sheetz gas station and other gas station that carry E85 in the area and test the content level of the E85. Their are 21 Sheetz gas station in the area from Wake Forest,Garner,Raleigh,Fuquay-Varina,Wendell,Morrisville,Cary,Apex.
Old 02-20-2018, 08:54 AM   #14
TTSALEEN
Terminator ur G8

TTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerarmy View Post
Now we need somebody to hit all the Sheetz gas station and other gas station that carry E85 in the area and test the content level of the E85. Their are 21 Sheetz gas station in the area from Wake Forest,Garner,Raleigh,Fuquay-Varina,Wendell,Morrisville,Cary,Apex.
I can help provide some real-world / current updates on that:

The Sheetz at Banks Road off Hwy 401 between Wake Technical College and Fuquay-Varina consistently tests at 86-88% for me.
I've had readings as high as 90% and as low as 84% once.
Been getting E85 for over a year now.

The Sheetz at Hwy. 50 and Hwy. 210 consistently tests at 86-88% for me. It's close to Fastlane and I've been getting E85 for over a year from there.

I test using the Quick Fuel Technology Test Tube Kit.
https://www.amazon.com/Quick-Fuel-Te.../dp/B007ZJ749O

Ryan
TTSALEEN is offline   Reply With Quote