HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 07-22-2018, 07:45 PM   #51
joesscamaro

joesscamaro is a good little Junkie
Did you have the engine compartment blasted before paint? Looking good!
Old 07-24-2018, 06:52 AM   #52
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
No, just hit it with scotchbrite, then a rust encapsulator, then paint.

It is not show worthy vehicle at all. Just making it a driver ASAP, then I can go back and replace the inner fenders or whatever. There are plenty of reproductions out there, though they will have to be cut around this new front subframe.
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2018, 06:53 AM   #53
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
So, got the car started and moved under its own power this weekend!!!

Did a nice burnout, but my wife did not have the camera ready.. oh well, lol.
She runs good, shifts good, stops mediocre. It actually stops well, but the pedal just is grabbing way too low for my liking. I believe I got all the air out, and I know it’s sized right. Not sure what is going on here.

I did blow out a header gasket. Ordered some dead soft aluminum ones. They are worth the $. Also had a little fuel leak at the banjo bolt going into the carb, tightened it and stripped the fuel bowl… Grrrr. Ordered a new one of those too, luckily only $33.

I also had no problem on the first little spin. Then I took another one later, and that time around the block, with a passenger, I had a little tire rub up front. So I pulled the wheels, and rolled the front fenders. Hope that clears it up.

Gauges and dash trim will be here this week..

Wifes phone did not like the exhaust, and damn that electric fan is loud. But you get the idea

[/QUOTE]

Last edited by Blue70; 07-24-2018 at 06:58 AM..
Old 07-24-2018, 09:24 AM   #54
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
nice great looking car
Old 07-28-2018, 07:45 PM   #55
Blue70

picking away at the interior

Old 07-29-2018, 01:23 PM   #56
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
Dash looks sweet!!
Old 07-30-2018, 05:18 AM   #57
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Damn man, you seriously don't disappoint!! Great job! Glad to see it rolling, as you know smiles per mile are priceless.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2018, 07:06 AM   #58
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
looks very good
Old 07-31-2018, 08:55 PM   #59
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
Looking sweet
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2018, 07:13 AM   #60
Mwilson

what transmission are you using?
Old 08-06-2018, 05:00 AM   #61
Blue70

I am using a NV3500

Finally took the 56 out of the neighborhood. Put a whopping 16 miles on her on the maiden voyage. I have one rear shoe a bit tight, but other than that she did great!

Also a quick idle vid.

Old 08-06-2018, 05:38 AM   #62
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Man it sounds great and looks great! Don't speed shift that nv3500, I've got a 2nd gear shift fork hanging in my garage as a reminder. They're good transmissions, just not high performance oriented.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:45 AM   #63
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
That car turned out great!

What do you use for paint, and do you clear & wet sand?
Old 08-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #64
Blue70

Damn.. I may be pushing my luck.

With the peg leg rear in it now, it smokes the tire all through 2nd if I do a quick 1-2 shift..
Though it does get some wheel hop in 2nd. I might want to take it a bit easier on her.

I used this one since a buddy had it "in stock"

Mr.E

Thanks. Do not look at this paint, it is rustolium spray, outside, no wet sand, no buff, no prep, no clear, no sanding. Just went over what was there to stop some surface rust that was popping up. Hit it with some rust converter stuff first. As usual when I try to paint outdoors, it was the windiest day ever.
Old 08-11-2018, 03:34 PM   #65
Blue70

Got a new rear bumper, huge difference. Love it other than the fact that it makes my front look like crap now, lol

Old 08-14-2018, 06:31 AM   #66
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Looking good man!
http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 08:55 AM   #67
Blue70

Have not done much the last few weeks, but this past weekend I made some door panels.

I looked into ordering the door panel backing, and would have had to cover them myself.. They were $44 for the doors, and $44 for the quarters... They wanted $140 in shipping because they were "oversized" another place was about the same price but wanted $89 in shipping (they were a lot closer)

I made my own backer out of 1/8" plastic sheet and covered it just like I would have if I bought theirs. Threw in some new handles/cranks and, ahem.... Mustang arm rests and ta da

Old 10-04-2018, 12:10 PM   #68
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

You're going to have to go into detail on the door panels. I'm needing to do the same to my car. Almost to the point of using old street signs, even though it would probably make it louder in there.
Old 10-04-2018, 12:38 PM   #69
Blue70

I took some packing paper, taped it to the door and traced what I needed with a marker.
Cut it out and transferred it to some cardboard and test fit that.
Transferred that to some 1/8" thick plastic (some people use sign board, or lots of different material)
Then I went to local fabric store, got some black marine vinyl, and some adhesive.
Spray both the fabric and the backer, let it tack up and put the 2 together.
That's about it.. I chose to mount mine with stainless screws and fancy finishing washers from Lowes.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:09 AM   #70
Mwilson

looks good, thats how I did the door panels in my old 72
Old 10-05-2018, 05:16 AM   #71
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks for the info, where'd you source the plastic sheet from? I've been looking around and haven't found many places that sell sheets large enough or for decent price.

Your's turned out looking really good man, honestly have the midas touch, surprised you aren't in a shop with your talents.
Old 10-11-2018, 04:00 PM   #72
HellTeeOne
slingin' cribs

HellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this place
Just logged onto HPJ for the first time in quite a while. Damn you've don't a great job with this car.
HellTeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 10:22 AM   #73
hpierce301

hpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this place
seems like i seen this car in a tv show pilot filming this morning. looking good. tried to find you to say hello in person, but dang it was cold and i needed a nap.

-John Muir
hpierce301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2018, 05:36 AM   #74
Blue70

Quote:
Originally Posted by hpierce301 View Post
seems like i seen this car in a tv show pilot filming this morning. looking good. tried to find you to say hello in person, but dang it was cold and i needed a nap.
Yup, that was mine. They have had it for 2 weeks now. Yesterday was driving day, so I got to drive it all day in a long line of other awesome rides.

I will be back filming tonight (Was warned it may be until around 2AM, blah)
After this I need to get my car back, then it's back to regular life for me.. I don't know how film crews do this as a living.
Old 10-18-2018, 05:38 AM   #75
Blue70

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Thanks for the info, where'd you source the plastic sheet from? I've been looking around and haven't found many places that sell sheets large enough or for decent price.

Your's turned out looking really good man, honestly have the midas touch, surprised you aren't in a shop with your talents.
Thanks man. Unfortunately the plastic sheet I got has been kicking around at work for while. I don't know where it originally came from. It has literally been sitting against the wall here for about 15 years now.