HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 01-08-2018, 07:06 AM   #201
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
It does take a while, I forgot how much there is to this damn thing. Just labeling the ecm wires took a little while. What will probably take me the longest is trying to map out how to utilize the fuse box to it's fullest while integrating the 64 circuits.

Really wanted to hide the fuse box under the dash, but unsure if I want to hear the relays all the time. (Not that I'll prob be able to hear them w/ the exhaust).. After I get the harness mostly routed I'm going to hang sheetmetal so I can figure out where to stuff it all.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2018, 07:28 AM   #202
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Nothing to report. Working on where I want to place everything. Most likely mounting ECM and fuse box under the dash, got to see if there's enough room for everything.

Been researching bulkhead connectors to get the wires through the firewall cleanly (85-100 wires..). One I like is over $200, so it's either going to be cutting a hole and using a grommet or finding something that looks halfway decent in the junkyard and re-purposing it.

Did mount the accessories and my cheap ebay silverado intake. Really wish I could do away with the accessories, damn they look like crap.

Got the wires cleaned up and service loops anchored for each sensor/injector/etc. This is where I'm at right now. Was going to bolt the front sheetmetal back on to find hiding places for everything, but after looking @ engine bay pics I don't think I'll have many places to put things without running stupid long loops to get everything hooked up. Reason I'm looking towards hiding spots under the dash. Also wouldn't have to worry about getting water in the fuse box or fabbing some kind of cover for it.

Old 01-15-2018, 06:25 AM   #203
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Little progress is progress.. had a lot of other work this weekend but was able to at least get my hands on something.

Old 01-15-2018, 11:50 AM   #204
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
whats the button on the shifter for?
Old 01-15-2018, 11:55 AM   #205
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
whats the button on the shifter for?
Future shenanigans.

Nothing but show right now, at some point it'll be for line lock or a small shot.
Old 01-27-2018, 07:49 PM   #206
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Alright guys, back into it, got sick and it put me down for a bit.

Got back to the yard, picked up the hydro boost I previously passed on $26, found out $40 rebuild kit will seal it up, common problem.

Started out with this, had to press out the factory Tahoe mounting bolts, fill in the holes, drill 64 mounting holes, and build clutch master mount.

Unfortunately this meant butchering the first plate me and my welding buddy put together.

My welding buddy contributed a pipe nipple to the clutch mount and stuck around to help me navigate the details of putting this setup together. Remeasured the clutch setup, ended up with 12 degree down angle to hit the factory clutch mount.

Test fitting, piston is close to spark plug wires, but not much I can do. You can run the hydro flipped 180 but that puts the lines into the clutch master.

Straight shot right to the pedal. Have to put a couple beads in the push rod, hole is way bigger than 64 pin, have to close up the slop.

Welds smoothed, sand blasted, and ready for paint.

Also found a gauge solution. Still thinking about how I'm going to implement them, but $27.32 for 04 trailblazer cluster, couldn't not get them.

Possibly cutting it up and putting them in factory holes? That'll be down the road, for now just going to poorly mount them.

Also picked up a grommet for the firewall and fuse box mount so I can hang out under the dash. To be continued.
Old 01-28-2018, 06:57 AM   #207
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Wow @ that clutch master angle. Might make it extremely difficult to burp the air out...
Old 01-28-2018, 09:16 AM   #208
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
Wow @ that clutch master angle. Might make it extremely difficult to burp the air out...
12 degrees down? I hope not? It's about the same as an f body mount, like tick performance.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:53 PM   #209
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Cleaned the garage from the Saturday thrash then finally got the rear springs settled on the axle and the car is now resting on it's full suspension. Time to torque all the bushings down. Painted the brake booster bracket.. twice. Got a nice even coat on it, went to put final coat and the damn thing wrinkled up. Cleaned it off and started over, while it was bare I knocked a tiny drain hole at the bottom of the pipe.

Cleaned up the interior while I was on a roll and found my glovebox door screws. Have been looking for them for a while!

Got my new glovebox light and rubber bumpers installed too.. any progress is progress. Think there's a filter that's supposed to go over the light, might just switch out to LED.

I needed o2 sensors, the one for the engine have a funky looking wideband connector, they're $100/ea. Figured for a little more I could use widebands and wire in the narrowband output to the ECM. Also having wideband readouts on the dash is just added fun. Reason I chose these was price, shallow gauge depth, and biggest numeric readout of all the other gauges on the market.

Took a little time to widdle the holes big enough for the bungs but got them burned in. Have to find copper antiseize to put on the primaries before I slide the collectors on for good, it'll help seal, provide better conductivity for the o2 sensors, and keep the pipes from rusting together if I ever need to pull them out again.

Old 01-29-2018, 04:40 AM   #210
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Once you finish practicing on this one, you can come do my latest ride, lol.

Man that is a lot of wires!! Awesome work though!
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 07:47 AM   #211
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
nice
Old 01-30-2018, 01:48 PM   #212
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70 View Post
Once you finish practicing on this one, you can come do my latest ride, lol.

Man that is a lot of wires!! Awesome work though!
Preciate it. I'll gladly trade sheetmetal work for wiring work.
Old 02-01-2018, 07:38 AM   #213
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

No real news to report, stripped wiring harness off engine Monday, pulled headers, and prepped for yanking it out one last time. While I was pulling the harness I noticed a little detail that escaped me before. facepalm.

Worked on brother's truck Tuesday night. Last night I got back out in the garage, all set to measure driveshaft length so I could get it cut while doing everything else. Hard no. Blazer driveshaft I have won't work. Has harmonic balancer on yoke, it hits the t56 before the yoke is halfway in the trans. I was hesitant to use it because it'd gone rusty in the shed, used some type of rust away liquid, it worked, but yoke wasn't smooth afterwards, so not too heartbroken over it. I can use the 64 yoke, BUT, it's been widdled away over the years and isn't very tight in the trans, plus it has the smaller u-joint. SO, I've got to go to the yard again to find a yoke or just buy a new one. Yard is $12 for driveshaft, new one is $57. dammit.

Noticed I'd gotten metal/grinding material in trans output when it was tucked under the car, so I have to drop the rear casing, clean it out, then put it back together. Going to replace rear bushing and seal while it's apart. Have to add washers to shifter centering springs, shifter will sit to one side or another and not center, think PO cut springs down for some reason. Got trans down, slave off, and installed remote bleeder and AN line for clutch master. Engine is coming out tonight, cutting firewall for tahoe grommet and adding holes for trans bolts. I'd rather have covered holes in the firewall than missing bolts in the bellhousing with as much abuse as this car is going to get. While it's out going to mate engine/trans, smooth/groom wiring harness some more, and try to get factory fuel lines to fit tighter to trans. After that, it's going all back in for final assembly.
Old 02-01-2018, 09:49 PM   #214
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Engine is out, installed the clutch while the engine was on the hoist, glad I did. Dowel pins were not correct for the pressure plate so I had to drop the flywheel and knock them out. Also didn't have the clutch 100% lined up, would have been a complete bear under the car w/ the tight tunnel..

Was worried about the reverse light switch harness rubbing on the trans tunnel, found fords were running a low profile switch w/ extended harness, so motorcraft parts added to the chinese list..

Love this look.. kinda want to buy a black coated AN line for the bleeder to match the feed line, but that's money that'll go elsewhere.

I'm concerned at how much I'm looking forward to doing this? Will be grooming the harness to get all the wires sitting cleanly then will feed everything through the grommet, will be much easier sitting there. Also have my cutouts and 02 harnesses there so I remember to run them. Only thing I don't have ready is alt charging wire and starter cable.

Old 02-02-2018, 06:08 AM   #215
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
So you have no dowels from Flywheel to Pressure plate? I hate to tell you to go back in there but I wouldn't think relying only on the bolts would be a good idea. The PP can shift and slam against the bolts. Worst case, it's off balance, wobbles the rear main to death, or shears the PP bolts from slamming against them...
Old 02-02-2018, 09:24 AM   #216
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
So you have no dowels from Flywheel to Pressure plate? I hate to tell you to go back in there but I wouldn't think relying only on the bolts would be a good idea. The PP can shift and slam against the bolts. Worst case, it's off balance, wobbles the rear main to death, or shears the PP bolts from slamming against them...
Thanks, I was running that scenario through my head before I fell asleep last night, figured it wasn't right not to have dowels. I planned on pulling it mostly back down for final install, not sure if I can get the engine/bellhousing/clutch assy into the car together. Started out with retard logic trying to convince myself that converters only use 3 bolts w/ no dowel pins.
Old 02-03-2018, 10:31 PM   #217
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Stopped by hazard fraught during lunch today and grabbed an air nibbler, damn thing got the job done pretty quick.

3.25" hole

Then got to grooming the wiring harness, think it came out decent. Left service loops in it and made gradual bends between engine and firewall to relieve any mechanical stress.

Starting out

Ending for the night

Old 02-04-2018, 07:47 AM   #218
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
I like what you did with the gauges! What headers did you go with? I missed it.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:20 PM   #219
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hedman 45216, 1 7/8" primary, 3" collector. Huge for this setup but came as part of the deal with the motor/trans mounts.

Got a score tonight, dang things look like they have 0 miles on them. Way too nice for this turd!

Old 02-12-2018, 07:00 AM   #220
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Once again, side work on other's vehicles have slowed me down. Between having to re-arrange the garage, then spend more time than I'm willing to admit to re-find items is getting really old.

Have been spending time trying to find a driveshaft yoke that will work. On the verge of just ordering a new one instead of trying to find a junkyard yoke that will work. Going to try to call/visit shops around my work to see what they've got to offer. One upside is Oliver's driveshaft is about 20 mins from work in Winston-Salem. Don't want to pay that much but the way this damn thing is going it'll be a drop in the bucket.

Have spent a LOT of time on wiring. More time than I should have, but I want this to crank up on first try and never have any issues.

Wife and daughter were headed to the store Sat morning, asked them to grab me something, wise asses delivered.

With drive by wire setup, I'm going to have a stupid simple 3 wire/switch cruise control ready to go. I'm ok with that.

Roll around seats are not fun for long periods of time, but after stretching out a couple times here's where I'm at. All ECM lines are set to length. Still need to mount fuse box, get length measurement, and finish up power wires, but again, progress is progress:

I finished off last night by labeling EVERY SINGLE WIRE coming out of the silverado fuse box. Time definitely wasted. I'm kicking myself in the butt by trying to use this AND integrate it into the 64's wiring setup. But at the same time all the circuits will be overly protected and I'll have plenty of fused circuits at my beck and call whenever I like. Downside is the girth associated with this beast. I was going to put it to the right of the steering column, but the heater control cables have taken that space. So I'm trying to shoe horn it between the clutch and parking brake pedals. Have to fab up custom mounts for it, have a feeling I'll be wasting a lot of time trying to figure out how to hang it vs just getting it done.
Old 02-12-2018, 09:15 AM   #221
Mwilson

wow that looks like a nightmare!!
Old 02-12-2018, 02:30 PM   #222
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Wow, 10 spoke SS wheels where the centercap bowties are still red......unicorn wheels for sure.

Best part of your project, there is no stab and go. You are taking your time and doing it right, it'll surely pay off in the future when the need comes to change something out for one reason or another. All that time invested will pay off!
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2018, 06:32 AM   #223
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
wow that looks like a nightmare!!
lol, it is but I'm sleeping like a baby. Think it'll end up being around 100 wires or so, not too bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardCranium View Post
Wow, 10 spoke SS wheels where the centercap bowties are still red......unicorn wheels for sure.

Best part of your project, there is no stab and go. You are taking your time and doing it right, it'll surely pay off in the future when the need comes to change something out for one reason or another. All that time invested will pay off!
I was really surprised at the condition of the rims, really feel bad bolting them on to this turd. I appreciate the kudos. There's times when I just want to kick all this sh!t in the car and go down the road, but as I said in the beginning, it's definitely tested my patience and wallet. I'm just sailing now, letting things go where they want to go. I'm still trying to wrap it up by the end of this month. I won't hit the exact date I want, but hopefully I won't be too far off. It's gotten to the point where I can't control everything around the car so it's better to just roll with it instead of bitching, it's better for everyone that way.
Old 02-15-2018, 06:44 AM   #224
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Struggled with finding a location for the fuse box to where I wasn't worried about chafing, moving parts, or access to fuses. Finally settled on a decent spot, I can get to all the wires easily and all the fuses/relays are in plain view as well. I couldn't figure out how to mount the box. I'm unfortunately going to wedge it under the dash and securing it with zip ties. I can't figure out how to separate the box halves to gain access inside, so I don't know of any safe spots to run zip screws through. There's not enough room under the dash to incorporate the original mounting setup. Finally, I'm not smart enough to figure this out in a timely manner. With one 1/8" zip tie I can rock it with my full body weight on it and it does not move. I will be using larger zip ties, rubber hoses on sharp metal edges, this thing will be solidly mounted.

I had to swap the wiper and headlight switch locations on the dash, but that's the extent of it. It's not going to be pretty, but it will be fully functional, out of the way, and out of mind. It uses the steering column support rod as it's main hold, there's an upside down c-channel on the inside lip of the dash that the box mates to like it was made for it. Any more downward angle and it would start to interfere w/ the clutch pedal.

Looking through dash where gauge bezel mounts, wire bundle will cross over steering column, have a stress relief @ the defroster duct, then angle down to the grommet in the firewall center. I've already put 1/2" hose on the upper left corner so it rests against the cowl tray w/o scrubbing it w/ the hard plastic.

Look through w/ bezel in place, already beating up my paint on the dash.

Looking up from the floorboard, not 100% ideal, but can still easily access every fuse and relay for future repairs.

Looking through the backside of the gauge bezel, you can see the clearance I gained by swapping wiper/headlight switches in the bezel. This will NOT work with stock gauges. Luckily the trailblazer gauge setup is shallow and will work.

How the switches look, I will fix this in the future, right now it's function over form for the time being.

Old 02-16-2018, 07:41 AM   #225
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Almost done w/ main trunk wiring, think 5 more wires lengthened and it's on to peripheral wiring.

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu