HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 06-01-2016, 07:18 PM   #1
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
Factory Vert Truck Build

I'm about 3 months into this project, so I thought I might start posting a few pictures. This build is unconventional and not really a HP junkie traditional racer/sport vehicle, but some may get some enjoyment out of the unusual.

So, the vehicle is a 1990 Dakota Convertible. In 1989, Dodge introduced the first factory convertible truck (long before the SSR). They sent 1900 and some change 89 SE Dakotas to ATC to modify with a factory drop top. In 1990, they only produced an additional 900 or so, and in 91, built the remaining 8 and shut it down. There's a somewhat cult following of the trucks but their value is pretty non-existent, so I didn't mind 'modifying' it from factory in true HPJ style.

Here's a pic of the truck as I bought it....half the truck was gutted already, the engine sitting in the bed, and lots of stuff missing. The junkyard has become my friend.

robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #2
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
The tired V6 and all the junk I don't plan on using
Old 06-01-2016, 07:20 PM   #3
robertmee

Old 06-01-2016, 07:22 PM   #4
robertmee

I stripped the truck completely down to the frame, but left the cab on. Sand blasted the frame, suspension, firewall and radiator support. Painted the frame and under cab with POR15 and then a gloss enamel.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:26 PM   #5
robertmee

Rebuilt a crate Mopar 360/380HP Magnum. The pedigree of this motor is I bought it off Kurt Busch's raceshop. It was an engine used in a demo nascar for shows. Engine had 200 or so miles on it, from driving the car on/off the trailer and parades and such. It was painted ugly hemi orange, so I completely stripped it with a wirewheel and paint stripper and repainted. It has a Mopar Performance Dual plane M1 intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, shorty headers, and a Skip White distributor.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:29 PM   #6
robertmee

The 90 Dak came with an A500 (42rh) transmission, which is the old 904 Torqueflite with an overdrive unit. Draggers love the 904's due to their gearing and light rotating mass, so I decided to rebuild the A500 instead of going with a more common A518 (46rh) that was one the later Ram trucks with the 5.9L/360 magnum. I beefed up the sprags, and bands, went with Kolene steels and Reds Clutches, a transgo shift kit plus rebuilt the valve body. It should hold up fine with the mild 380HP magnum.

Old 06-01-2016, 07:32 PM   #7
robertmee

Other than that, I've been busy, changing out everything worn, which is 90% of the truck it seems. I've changed out rear axle bearings, all new rear drum setups, all new brake lines and hoses, all new front rotors, calipers, shoes, shocks, etc. Putting in Poly bushings everywhere (body, sway bar, front suspension). I'm not keeping track of expenses because I don't want to know and I'm sure it would be depressing

Old 06-01-2016, 07:34 PM   #8
robertmee

Old 06-01-2016, 07:35 PM   #9
robertmee

Old 06-02-2016, 03:44 AM   #10
Fastphoneguy

Fastphoneguy has disabled reputation
nice work! Can't wait to see when you finish!!
Fastphoneguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:18 PM   #11
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
looking really good so far!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #12
robertmee

Thanks guys....started running fuel lines this weekend, blasted and painted the battery tray, Trans supports and sway bar. Also installed new poly bushings on the cab body. Getting close to dropping the engine in...can't wait!
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 AM   #13
robertmee

Been awhile since I've updated, but steadily making progress. Got the truck back from paint this past week with the exception of the hood. Paint job looks fantastic and will post up some pics soon. Went with a near factory red with a hint of copper pearl in it. The reason I don't have the hood yet is this build is for my wife and she wanted some custom art. Because of her name and attitude she has a nickname of "Swampfire" and this is the mural we and Zak at ZMCC came up with. Will be cleared next week.

Old 01-21-2017, 09:34 AM   #14
hpierce301

hpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this placehpierce301 is without a doubt too mature for this place
wow, can't wait to see it all together.

-John Muir
hpierce301 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2017, 03:53 PM   #15
robertmee

It's never easy....So, in order to fit the V8 into the 90, I had to do some fab work on the front. The 87-90 Dakotas had the square nose, and even with an electric pusher fan, there's not enough room to fit the engine inside the radiator. In 89, Shelby did it with the Shelby Dakota but they moved the engine back against the firewall, changing the mounts and entire drive line. I wasn't up for that. In 91-96, Dodge redesigned the front ends to fit the new 5.2 V8 option and they did it by moving the core support forward 3 inches, using a swept back core so they could re-use the fenders, and extending the bumper mounts. I have an old 95 Dakota that I could measure off of as a template, so after some cutting and welding and drilling, I made my 90 frame resemble the front of a 91 frame. Swapped in the front Core, bumper, grill and lights from a 94, and voila....I have a frankenstein 90/91 vert. Mind you, Dodge built 8 of these verts in 91 (and only ONE with the 5.2 V8), so I'm still somewhat in the realm of being a purist, and now I have only the second swept nose vert V8 in existance, and the only one with a 5.9L

Anyway, finished front end, other than I need to drill one more hole for the bumper mounts...only two bolts on each side holding it now and it originally had 3. But wanted to mock it all up to make sure everything fit.

Last edited by robertmee; 02-22-2017 at 03:55 PM..
Old 02-22-2017, 05:16 PM   #16
chevymec
10 BOLT JUNKIE

chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.chevymec is actually making some sense.
In high school I worked at the local Dodge dealership washing cars. One of the techs had a Shelby Dakota. I washed it a few times and thought it would be a fun truck. Keep chugging along!
Old 02-23-2017, 06:29 AM   #17
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Looking good man!
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:14 AM   #18
Heater
Tastefully Sarcastic

Heater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this place
Those came out when I was in high school (yeah I'm old as hell), and I always thought they were cool.

Should be a awesome cruiser when done
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 11:16 AM   #19
The Flying Clutchman
Serious Poster

The Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this place
Cool cruiser! I didn't know the early Dakotas weren't available with a V8. Every convertible I've seen was a V6 and I always wondered why you wouldn't get something that with a V8.
1971 Chevelle SS

Quote:
Real men drive terrible cars and we like it
The Flying Clutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 01:26 PM   #20
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Flying Clutchman View Post
Cool cruiser! I didn't know the early Dakotas weren't available with a V8. Every convertible I've seen was a V6 and I always wondered why you wouldn't get something that with a V8.
Short answer is space constraints...even though 87 to 96 is considered Gen 1, the 87 to 90 front end was completely different than the 91 to 96. Also, in 92, the magnum engine became available which helped. The magnum water pump is a full 3 inches shorter than the LA water pump. Plus the nose moved forward in 91, also giving more room. It was an engineering feat to cram a v8 in the 89 Shelby Dakota, requiring pusher fans, moving motor mounts, shortening the drive train, etc.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:43 PM   #21
robertmee

Fenders back on and plumbing engine.
Old 05-03-2017, 09:30 AM   #22
robertmee

Maiden Voyage today, to muffler shop
Old 05-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #23
Heater
Tastefully Sarcastic

Heater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this place
Looking good
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2017, 10:50 AM   #24
Ras
Resident Viking

Ras is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this place
I know it's the perspective, but dang, that looks like a huge battery relative to the size of the engine.
Old 05-03-2017, 12:54 PM   #25
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ras View Post
I know it's the perspective, but dang, that looks like a huge battery relative to the size of the engine.
Dunno....it's the stock battery for a 91-96 V8 dakota.