HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums
 
 

 

Advertisement

 


Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Off Topic and More > Junkies Den

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

 

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 12-31-2015, 10:57 AM   #51
DansTransAM
sellout
 
DansTransAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 2,937
DansTransAM has disabled reputation
interesting chart. def some merit to it.
__________________
2001 Speedway White Z06 - Bolt ons

www.WideAwakeRacing.com
DansTransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 10:58 AM   #52
jcsperson
Registered User
 
jcsperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 1,234
jcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this place
For those of us who are a little older, the next question becomes, when should I start taking Social Security. The earlier you take it, the less you get per month, but the whole system is designed to give each beneficiary the same amount of money if we all lived to the same actuarial age.

The problem is, we don't. That's where your projected health and judgement come in. If you don't expect to live to the actuarial age of your cohort, take the benefits early. If you expect to live longer, wait.

This chart shows the difference between taking it at 62 and 66:



The break-even point is 77. After that, the difference in the total benefit will increase every year. I'm planning on taking it at 65.
jcsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 11:25 AM   #53
50grityoloswag
Gone to the Sand Jungle
 
50grityoloswag's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Obamaville
Posts: 75
50grityoloswag has no rep around here.
Forget SS do welfare instead and live on da gobermunt

Im going to get mine once Obam gets 3rd election
50grityoloswag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2016, 08:17 AM   #54
DansTransAM
sellout
 
DansTransAM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Zebulon, NC
Posts: 2,937
DansTransAM has disabled reputation
will definitely depend on my health. Being in IT i can probably string it out ti'll 65-66.
__________________
2001 Speedway White Z06 - Bolt ons

www.WideAwakeRacing.com
DansTransAM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 03:39 PM   #55
sneaky98gt
1.5 Atmospheres
 
sneaky98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 809
sneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this place
Ok, so I finally got serious about opening some investing accounts and whatnot, and I found out (I think) why the Roth IRA is pushed a lot more. If you have a 401k plan with your employer (I do), AND you make more than $71,000 a year (....), then you can't write off investments in a traditional IRA (which pretty much defeats the purpose of it). So, since my company 401k doesn't give me as many options or as much control as I'd like, a Roth IRA is pretty much my only tax-advantaged option. I did some tweaking to my budget (who really needs $50 worth a beer a week? LOL), and I'm going to start a Vanguard account sometime this weekend when I can spare a few minutes, in addition to what I have to invest that started this thread.

As far as that extra, I decided I was ok being risky on it, and decided to go the DRIP route as per jcsperson's advice. I'm obviously not going to start anything right this minute with the way the market is moving, but once it calms down, I plan on starting a few accounts. I've done a bunch of reading around, and for now, I think I'm gonna go with Emerson Electric, Illinois Tool Works, and Johnson & Johnson. All 3 are fee-free, and are Dividend Aristocrats (or Kings, even better). And at some point, I'm probably gonna go for 3M and Proctor & Gamble, but it seems they're a little over-valued at this point.

One last question. If I wanted to sack some cash away somewhere for something like buying another property a few years from now, where would you put it? I'm not looking to make money on it, just to do as good or a little better than inflation. So 3ish percent. And obviously needs to be liquid with no penalties and as little taxes as possible.
__________________
-Will



401 rwhp, 365 rwtq (with some belt slip)

Self tuned with SCT Pro Racer Package

Full street trim with 275/40-17 MT radials:
11.51 @ 118.89
7.35 @ 94.59 mph


sneaky98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:13 PM   #56
BigBadViper
Registered User
 
BigBadViper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Some Hotel away from home
Posts: 2,313
BigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
Ok, so I finally got serious about opening some investing accounts and whatnot, and I found out (I think) why the Roth IRA is pushed a lot more. If you have a 401k plan with your employer (I do), AND you make more than $71,000 a year (....), then you can't write off investments in a traditional IRA (which pretty much defeats the purpose of it). So, since my company 401k doesn't give me as many options or as much control as I'd like, a Roth IRA is pretty much my only tax-advantaged option. I did some tweaking to my budget (who really needs $50 worth a beer a week? LOL), and I'm going to start a Vanguard account sometime this weekend when I can spare a few minutes, in addition to what I have to invest that started this thread.

As far as that extra, I decided I was ok being risky on it, and decided to go the DRIP route as per jcsperson's advice. I'm obviously not going to start anything right this minute with the way the market is moving, but once it calms down, I plan on starting a few accounts. I've done a bunch of reading around, and for now, I think I'm gonna go with Emerson Electric, Illinois Tool Works, and Johnson & Johnson. All 3 are fee-free, and are Dividend Aristocrats (or Kings, even better). And at some point, I'm probably gonna go for 3M and Proctor & Gamble, but it seems they're a little over-valued at this point.

One last question. If I wanted to sack some cash away somewhere for something like buying another property a few years from now, where would you put it? I'm not looking to make money on it, just to do as good or a little better than inflation. So 3ish percent. And obviously needs to be liquid with no penalties and as little taxes as possible.
Those are no doubt some solid and reliable funds, but they are definitely not very much on the growth side of the house. Your return will be pretty low.

When I was looking to save money for my house I invested in some stocks and when it was time to sell I then sold those stocks. some I got out of way too early and didn't lose money, but didn't make what I could have. I bought SWA at 7 and sold at 9, and a couple years later they are at 40+. CRAP. I did buy a bunch of BAC very low and made about 5 times on it. No clue where the market is going right now and I don't have much in it, and don't really know where I would go if I had extra cash today. If you are very risk averse, look for some good no load mutual funds.
__________________
2007 Lamborghini Gallardo Spyder - Twin Turbo
1997 GTS x 2 - Twin Turbo x 2
Red 1176hp on pump gas - 1600+ on C16
Best 60' - 1.32 - All on 6 Speed, pump gas, and Drag Radials

Blue 848hp on 11 PSI

BigBadViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 04:55 PM   #57
sneaky98gt
1.5 Atmospheres
 
sneaky98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 809
sneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadViper View Post
Those are no doubt some solid and reliable funds, but they are definitely not very much on the growth side of the house. Your return will be pretty low.

When I was looking to save money for my house I invested in some stocks and when it was time to sell I then sold those stocks. some I got out of way too early and didn't lose money, but didn't make what I could have. I bought SWA at 7 and sold at 9, and a couple years later they are at 40+. CRAP. I did buy a bunch of BAC very low and made about 5 times on it. No clue where the market is going right now and I don't have much in it, and don't really know where I would go if I had extra cash today. If you are very risk averse, look for some good no load mutual funds.
That's the plan with the mutual funds, via Vanguard.

I'm not really looking to pick a sleeper and make many times over my investment in a few years (although that'd be awesome). I'm looking at something to invest in over 30 years that will offer slow and steady growth, and importantly: dividend yield. Adding CGR and DY, EMR is around 9% annually, ITW is 10%, JNJ is 9%, MMM is 10%, and PG is about 12%. That definitely isn't get-rich-quick money, but it certainly isn't bad over 20, 30 years with relatively low risk AND with potentially significant income from dividends in the end. The fact that I can invest in all of those with no fees of any sort is also a big plus.
__________________
-Will



401 rwhp, 365 rwtq (with some belt slip)

Self tuned with SCT Pro Racer Package

Full street trim with 275/40-17 MT radials:
11.51 @ 118.89
7.35 @ 94.59 mph


sneaky98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 08:16 PM   #58
lugnutz
Go fast, then turn.
 
lugnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: raleigh
Posts: 565
lugnutz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
and importantly: dividend yield. Adding CGR and DY, EMR is around 9% annually, ITW is 10%, JNJ is 9%, MMM is 10%, and PG is about 12%.
FYI, your numbers are off by 4x... and companies have been known to cut their dividend when the economy goes to shit... just sayin.
lugnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 11:38 PM   #59
sneaky98gt
1.5 Atmospheres
 
sneaky98gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 809
sneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this placesneaky98gt is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnutz View Post
FYI, your numbers are off by 4x... and companies have been known to cut their dividend when the economy goes to shit... just sayin.
I'm not sure how they're off by 4...I'll admit that these numbers were as of a few weeks ago when I was doing some researching, and things have kinda tanked here this year so far....so it's very possible it's all gone downhill by 4x since then. Wouldn't surprise me. That's how my 401k stuff has gone so far in the 2 years I've been investing in it.

Dividends are cut sometimes, but I've been aiming for companies that don't do that. Emerson, J&J, and 3M have all raised their dividends for at least 50 straight years, and ITW and P&G have raised theirs for at least 25 years in a row. Knowing my luck, any of them could cut theirs next week, but the fact that they've weathered storms for the last quarter-half century leads me to think that they're on the lower end of the risk spectrum for doing that.
__________________
-Will



401 rwhp, 365 rwtq (with some belt slip)

Self tuned with SCT Pro Racer Package

Full street trim with 275/40-17 MT radials:
11.51 @ 118.89
7.35 @ 94.59 mph


sneaky98gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 05:54 AM   #60
lugnutz
Go fast, then turn.
 
lugnutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: raleigh
Posts: 565
lugnutz has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by sneaky98gt View Post
I'm not sure how they're off by 4...
Divide your numbers by 4 to get the actual dividend yield they are currently paying annually. Looks like you've taken the published yield and assumed that was a quarterly number and not an annual number. P&G yield is under 4%. Simple to check the math... look at the last quarterly dividend, multiply by 4 and divide by current stock price... gives you the annual yield. Yield goes up as stock price comes down... assuming the dividend stays the same.

BTW, if you like dividend plays take a peek at TNH. Very illiquid so it's a bit tricky to get in and out of, but nice dividend (that does bounce around quite a bit) and zero debt. This is not buy/sell advice...
lugnutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2016, 09:44 PM   #61
jcsperson
Registered User
 
jcsperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 1,234
jcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this place
As 2016 draws to a close I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see how things have gone since January.

If you had your IRA or 401K in a S&P 500 Index fund, you'd be up 12.5% on the year. They are still the simplest, most effective investment vehicle in a tax-deferred account.
jcsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2016, 09:11 AM   #62
Djstorm100
Registered User
 
Djstorm100's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Raleigh
Posts: 3,310
Djstorm100 might have posted something useful at one timeDjstorm100 might have posted something useful at one time
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsperson View Post
As 2016 draws to a close I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see how things have gone since January.

If you had your IRA or 401K in a S&P 500 Index fund, you'd be up 12.5% on the year. They are still the simplest, most effective investment vehicle in a tax-deferred account.
2016 hasn't been hard to us but not kind either. Several medical expense cause up to require some debt that I'm paying off fast as I can. Goal is by March to have everything paid off. The wife has to have another surgery so it may push it back. 401k is still getting contributed by both of us. IRA isn't, all spare cash goes to the debt's bottom line.
Djstorm100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2016, 09:33 PM   #63
FoxOnJackstands
Rahbababababbabab
 
FoxOnJackstands's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: Apex
Posts: 7,509
FoxOnJackstands best poster evAr!!!!!!111FoxOnJackstands best poster evAr!!!!!!111FoxOnJackstands best poster evAr!!!!!!111FoxOnJackstands best poster evAr!!!!!!111
300 extra to invest? I'd invest in a new boat!
FoxOnJackstands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2017, 04:14 PM   #64
jcsperson
Registered User
 
jcsperson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Hillsborough, NC
Posts: 1,234
jcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcsperson View Post
As 2016 draws to a close I thought I'd resurrect this thread to see how things have gone since January.

If you had your IRA or 401K in a S&P 500 Index fund, you'd be up 12.5% on the year. They are still the simplest, most effective investment vehicle in a tax-deferred account.
Another year, another solid gain.

jcsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2017, 09:46 AM   #65
T6Rocket
Boost Junkie
 
T6Rocket's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Posts: 1,276
T6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this place
Still should diversify with at least 20-30% in bond and cash funds. Might not earn as much in a good stock market year, but won't lose it all either like the crash of 2008.

Al
__________________
94 Supra TT Auto
T6Rocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:42 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
All graphics and text no matter how childish and offensive are the property of HorsepowerJunkies.com. Do not use or recreate without permission.
 

Advertisement

 


...