HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 02-04-2019, 10:38 AM   #1
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Build 105.. Most of it anyway..

I have been itching to build a gasser style ride for a while now. I resisted the urge with my 56 Chevy, however I picked up most of a 1960 Falcon this weekend, and will finally give in.

I picked up the shell, came with all the body, doors, fenders, hood, trunk, grille, lights, glass, etc.. Everything but a floor, suspension, and drivetrain... Perfect place to start, lol.
I plan on a speedway front end, homemade frame, trying to decide on a cheap 8" rear out of a 66 Mustang, or pulling a more expensive 8.8 Explorer out of the local pick and pull.

I also picked up a set of wheels I wanted to run on the rear... It was not until I got home that I realized that you can not find a tall wide 14" tire any longer... Might become coffee tables now

Stay tuned.. hope to start ordering parts next month. (need to get my wifes 56 drivable first!)
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2019, 08:48 AM   #2
Snowman
ZL1 of thirdgens

Snowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this place
Knowing you, it will be finished in two weeks!
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:40 AM   #3
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Lol, not quite 2 weeks. I still need to get me wifes 56 running.

I did order my front end kit this morning though.. and thinking of hitting the pick-n-pull for an 8.8 this weekend.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:20 AM   #4
Blue70

So I went and grabbed and 8.8 from Pick-n-Pull..
I also ordered the steel for my frame.

This weekend I also took a look at the rocker panels I ordered.
The profile was NOT even remotely close..

I only needed the back 2ft, so I cut it off

and reshaped it.

Old 02-18-2019, 08:27 AM   #5
Blue70

Sunday I also took a look at the old radiator core support.
They do not reproduce them for a 60-61 Falcon so I had to rework the one I had.

When the guy cut the front end out of the Falcon, he cut the frame rails at the firewall, and then right down the center of the core support and rolled the 2 halves out.

I went and cut the inner fenders / frame to get the core support off the scrap he had.

stuck it back together but the bottom was rotted out

so I cut it free

and replaced it with some steel I had kicking around

Needs a lot of cleaning up, but should work now.
Old 02-18-2019, 10:27 AM   #6
Blue70

Steel was just delivered.
Looks like a frame to me...

Old 02-26-2019, 08:35 AM   #7
Blue70

Just now another piece of the puzzle showed up in my office.

Old 04-02-2019, 06:34 AM   #8
Blue70

Well, STILL waiting on that front end to ship.
I have been ordering parts, and stacking them up in my office at work.
I got the wheels and tires mounted, got my 4 link for the rear, a Vega box for steering, I have my mock up motor ready, got my real motor broken down, picked up an intake, some new carbs, etc..
Started cutting some tubing for my frame.. I am almost stuck now until I get that front end.. I ordered it on 2/8 and it has been pushed back a few times, and is now showing a 5/31 ship date

Old 04-04-2019, 09:11 PM   #9
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
nice
Old 04-14-2019, 11:41 AM   #10
Blue70

Scored a great deal on a 400 longblock.
Forged internals, Eagle Rods, Custom ground hydraulic roller cam, Dart Pro 1 230cc heads, etc... This one should be fun!!

Old 04-14-2019, 06:55 PM   #11
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
nice!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 04:06 AM   #12
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
400 chevy!
Old 04-15-2019, 05:51 AM   #13
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Sub'd for updates, sorry I'm late to the party!!
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 06:35 AM   #14
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
I haven't been on the junk in probably a year. Glad I wandered in. I love round falcons and just happened to pick up a 63 over the winter.

Would you mind sharing some details/dimensions of those frame rails you made? Mine have through rust pretty much all along the bottom.
Old 04-22-2019, 07:41 AM   #15
Blue70

Mr.E
I can give you some measurements, however if you look at the pics, I have NO floor, and no suspension, so it is a blank canvas, and does not have to match up with anything you have stock, so I am not sure if it will help you at all.

I wanted to go with a manual in this, but the whole thing was balanced, and the pressure plate was matched, so I am afraid to throw it out of balance if I use a flywheel.
I picked up a 2400-2800 stall converter and a shift kit for the trans I have, so we shall see how it does..
I also picked up a set of fenderwell headers. Have to see how they fit. I am hoping since I have not built a floor or firewall yet, and can place the engine where ever I want, that I can make them work without having to chop them up much.

This weekend since I still am waiting on the front end, I got started on the rear 8.8.
Cut off the spring perches, and welded on the 4 link brackets. Tacked the axle tubes in a few places as well just for the fun of it.