Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 01-23-2018, 09:49 AM   #1
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
GM 5.3 Forced Induction

Anyone added FI to a circa 2000 5.3 truck engine? If so, what kit and what experience? How much added HP and did you change Cam's, heads or any internals. My next build comes with a 5.3, and debating on going FI or with a built 6.0. Also comes with the 40L60E transmission. What needs to be done to it to withstand around 450 to 500 HP?
robertmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 11:24 PM   #2
ISELDOMLOSE

ISELDOMLOSE is without a doubt too mature for this placeISELDOMLOSE is without a doubt too mature for this placeISELDOMLOSE is without a doubt too mature for this placeISELDOMLOSE is without a doubt too mature for this placeISELDOMLOSE is without a doubt too mature for this place
nothing needs to be done. 5-6lbs of boost will make that. Twin turbo stock 5.3 with btr stage2 ls1 intake and 317 6.0 heads made 735 on a mustang dyno on 14psi. I'm about to put the short block up for sale. Built a forged 6.0 to make a 1000.
Winner of Hot Rod Magazines Top Speed Challenge
ISELDOMLOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 06:20 AM   #3
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Look up Sloppy Mechanics on youtube. He's got all the information on what/how/where/why.

You'll have the weaker rods in a 00, but still should hold 450.
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 07:39 AM   #4
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
That trans is one of the worst v8 trans gm made.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:12 AM   #5
Mike.
Hi.

Mike. is without a doubt too mature for this placeMike. is without a doubt too mature for this placeMike. is without a doubt too mature for this placeMike. is without a doubt too mature for this placeMike. is without a doubt too mature for this placeMike. is without a doubt too mature for this placeMike. is without a doubt too mature for this placeMike. is without a doubt too mature for this place
Stock LQ4 with head studs. Thats all you need for boost.
Mike. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 AM   #6
robertmee

robertmee is actually making some sense.robertmee is actually making some sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Look up Sloppy Mechanics on youtube. He's got all the information on what/how/where/why.

You'll have the weaker rods in a 00, but still should hold 450.
It's actually an '03, but assume the same holds true for that era?
Old 01-24-2018, 08:25 AM   #7
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISELDOMLOSE View Post
nothing needs to be done. 5-6lbs of boost will make that. Twin turbo stock 5.3 with btr stage2 ls1 intake and 317 6.0 heads made 735 on a mustang dyno on 14psi. I'm about to put the short block up for sale. Built a forged 6.0 to make a 1000.
If the vehicle purchase pans out (should know today), I may be interested in that short block.
Old 01-24-2018, 08:32 AM   #8
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
That trans is one of the worst v8 trans gm made.
Yeah, I'd prefer an 80e, but it is what it is. I've got a local builder that can beef it up to whatever HP I need...he took my anemic A500 dodge on my last build and rebuilt it to withstand 600hp with a year warranty. Has held up great.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
It's actually an '03, but assume the same holds true for that era?
Yessir, I've got an 03 in my chevelle. '05+ have the rods that hold to hell and back.
Old 01-24-2018, 09:14 AM   #10
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertmee View Post
Yeah, I'd prefer an 80e, but it is what it is. I've got a local builder that can beef it up to whatever HP I need...he took my anemic A500 dodge on my last build and rebuilt it to withstand 600hp with a year warranty. Has held up great.
Hopefully your builder is better than mine.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:49 PM   #11
robertmee

Quote:
Hopefully your builder is better than mine.
I feel your pain...first builder I went with I bought a slew of performance parts and dropped them off with the tranny. First 10 miles it threw the pump bearing. Opened it up and none of my parts were in it and it was dirty as crap. Basically he stole all my parts...unfortunately in the year the tranny sat on my shelf awaiting install he disappeared. Never again.
Old 01-24-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
robertmee

So in doing some research i see the radix SC, the ATI procharger, and the STS turbo...all around 6k. Then there's the twin turbo kit on flea bay but that seems to be universally panned...it's only 2.5k. I've never rolled my own so dont know if that the more economical route?
Old 01-25-2018, 06:18 AM   #13
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Please read through this, when you're done, check out everything else in the left hand column, there's a treasure trove of information there.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...unkyardturbols

commonly bought items, this is what you were asking for: https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...ght-items-list

He also posts tunes he figures out on the dyno to give you another leg up if you go with mega/microsquirt or stock ECM and hptuners.

Last edited by Hotwire; 01-25-2018 at 06:20 AM..
Old 01-25-2018, 11:31 AM   #14
robertmee

Quote:
Please read through this, when you're done, check out everything else in the left hand column, there's a treasure trove of information there.

https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...unkyardturbols

commonly bought items, this is what you were asking for: https://sites.google.com/site/sloppy...ght-items-list

He also posts tunes he figures out on the dyno to give you another leg up if you go with mega/microsquirt or stock ECM and hptuners.
Awesome! Thanks for posting that info.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:09 PM   #15
robertmee

Still debating...About the only thing I've decided is of course scope creep...I'm thinking build to 600hp now...lol

The 5.3 is high mileage, so wondering if I should bore it to 5.7, drop some decent pistons and rods in it, titanium valves, blower cam and call it a day. For a blower, is it worth it to go with different heads, or just the stocker style with ARP bolts and decent gaskets?
Old 02-06-2018, 12:04 AM   #16
Mr. E

Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111Mr. E best poster evAr!!!!!!111
From what I've seen on some of my friends builds, those motor "live forever" at 600hp if turbo and not over spun.

Blowers eat up a lot of power and end up being tougher on the crank and front main. Those are just basic cast cranks so they tend to flex a bit easier than forged.

Regarding home turbo setups, I've seen my ls friends mig together 4 setups using flipped forward stock manifolds, and all of them made well over 600 with Borg head units and China eBay wastegates.

I'm a blower guy myself, but will admit turbos have a big advantage with cast cranks.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:04 AM   #17
robertmee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. E View Post
From what I've seen on some of my friends builds, those motor "live forever" at 600hp if turbo and not over spun.

Blowers eat up a lot of power and end up being tougher on the crank and front main. Those are just basic cast cranks so they tend to flex a bit easier than forged.

Regarding home turbo setups, I've seen my ls friends mig together 4 setups using flipped forward stock manifolds, and all of them made well over 600 with Borg head units and China eBay wastegates.

I'm a blower guy myself, but will admit turbos have a big advantage with cast cranks.
What about a hybrid...say a centrifugal style blower? I guess the same since it is driven ultimately by the crank? FYI, thanks for all the info. I'm very much learning about LS motor builds, all my previous being Mopar and Ford. All the variations of LS motors/rods/heads/blocks over the years has my head spinning.
Old 02-06-2018, 11:59 PM   #18
Mr. E

Centres can still cause crank and balancer drama, but the smaller the blower& the less boost you run the easier. Ls motors don't have a keyway so it's possible to spin the drive balancer. I have seen a jig that bolts to the snout and allows you to drill down the surface between the crank & balancer and then knock a pin into it.

At 600hp you'll likely be fine, and as far as heads go, there seem to be strong advocates on both sides so personally I'd say focus on the smallest chamber for higher compression. That can help spool a centrifugal...