Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 01-19-2017, 11:50 AM   #1
99silverTAguy

99silverTAguy might have posted something useful at one time
Trailblazer SS reliability?

I'm thinking about getting a Trailblazer SS for a daily driver. I know a few people on here have had them so I want your opinions. I know they get bad gas mileage, but other than that how are they? On the Teailblazer forums I seem to see a lot of blown motors from oil starvation problems, is this really that common? Any reason you would stray away from getting one? Any commons things I should look for?
Old 01-19-2017, 02:13 PM   #2
TooFast98Cobra

TooFast98Cobra must be letting Dr. Rockwell use their screen name
I loved my 06 i had. It was awd . Tune . Catback and cai. Wanted to lower it but sold it first.
Old 01-19-2017, 02:47 PM   #3
99silverTAguy

I am specifically looking at this one:

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1Q...VlVXZKd0MzUkZR

its a 2008, awd, with just over 100,000 miles. He said the motor is a factory rebuilt Thompson Motorsports ls2 short block and has a rob style camshaft. Looks like rebuilt level 1 transmission, so not sure how well that will hold up. Both short block and transmission have about 10,000 miles.

can anyone tell me what this photo is of?
Old 01-19-2017, 03:59 PM   #4
DSM Turbos
Super Moderator

DSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this place
I know Darren loved his. It was comfortable to ride in also and made good power for a heavy suv.
DSM Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 04:01 PM   #5
Zodiac

Zodiac has no rep around here.
The only thing I have known people to have major issues was the tranny. I've known a few that destroyed them completely stock with low miles.

Personally I like them, but would rather have an SRT8 Cherokee.

If you want true sleeper grab the Saab 9-7x aero. Just a fancier trailblazer SS and few people actually realize they exist.
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #6
theheder

theheder has no rep around here.
2007 TBSS owner here. Trans and oil starvation are very common issues.

My was all stock until I hit 75k and the extended warranty ran out. 2 procharger steps later and personal best of 6.95 1/8 with a 1.52 60ft in a 5000 pound SUV I have demoded to a LS2 based 403 HCI setup. Come check it out and take a ride.

I'm in the 4042 area and was tuned at RPM.

Last edited by theheder; 01-19-2017 at 07:36 PM.. Reason: Added location
theheder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 07:37 PM   #7
theheder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99silverTAguy View Post
I am specifically looking at this one:

its a 2008, awd, with just over 100,000 miles. He said the motor is a factory rebuilt Thompson Motorsports ls2 short block and has a rob style camshaft. Looks like rebuilt level 1 transmission, so not sure how well that will hold up. Both short block and transmission have about 10,000 miles.

can anyone tell me what this photo is of?
That looks like an oil catch can drain line.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:43 PM   #8
The Flying Clutchman
Serious Poster

The Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this placeThe Flying Clutchman is without a doubt too mature for this place
The biggest complaint I've heard about them as daily drivers is the horrible gas mileage.
1971 Chevelle SS

Quote:
Real men drive terrible cars and we like it
The Flying Clutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:58 PM   #9
Russell

Russell has no rep around here.
My wife has a XLT with the inline 6. The seats suck and it it has the most road noise of any car I have ever owned. It's a total POS compaired to the suburban she had before.
Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 08:43 AM   #10
theheder

I knew I had seen that truck before. He is on the TBSSOWNERS.com forum. His screen name is MightyMouse. Here is a link to his for sale ad on there:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/buy...trans-17k.html

You might want to browse around the for sale area to see others but IMHO 17k is reasonable for the mods it has. I know of several out there for sale from near stock to full out turbo built ones.

Good luck!
Old 01-20-2017, 09:34 AM   #11
99silverTAguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by theheder View Post
I knew I had seen that truck before. He is on the TBSSOWNERS.com forum. His screen name is MightyMouse. Here is a link to his for sale ad on there:

http://www.tbssowners.com/forums/buy...trans-17k.html

You might want to browse around the for sale area to see others but IMHO 17k is reasonable for the mods it has. I know of several out there for sale from near stock to full out turbo built ones.

Good luck!
Thanks, my biggest worry is the rust on the doors. He said this truck has some. I know it's hard to stop once it starts, but seems very common on all trailblazers. For you is there anything that stands out or would worry you with buying it?
Old 01-20-2017, 10:10 AM   #12
theheder

Quote:
Thanks, my biggest worry is the rust on the doors. He said this truck has some. I know it's hard to stop once it starts, but seems very common on all trailblazers. For you is there anything that stands out or would worry you with buying it?

From a drive train perspective I don't see anything that is concerning to me. The cosmetic items seem minimal but I would check them out up close (paint work on passenger rear door, crease in the drivers door and especially the rust).

FYI he is also a custom parts vendor on several forums - here is his website:

http://www.mightymousesolutions.com/
Old 01-20-2017, 11:57 AM   #13
99silverTAguy

Quote:

Good luck!
If you see/know of any local that are AWD with the leather interior let me know. I keep an eye on Craigslist but none are for sale now around Raleigh. I'd love to find one with no rusting on the doors.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:38 PM   #14
BigDaddyDupree

BigDaddyDupree has no rep around here.
I have an 06 rwd with 112k miles on it and i really do like it. It rides good and drives good. I bought it as a spare vehicle because i missed my tahoe. It has since turned into a hotrod more or less but i still cruise it on the weekends. Mine now has a LS3 headed iron 408 with a built 80e and yank converter. Stainless works headers e fans and all that hoopla. I actually drove it to work today and it is a fun vehicle to drive and sporty. Will tow also.
1996 s10- 4 cylinder- brawler
BigDaddyDupree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 12:44 PM   #15
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
My only concern would be the rust, where exactly is it on the doors? I never had an issue with the two TB's I previously owned, so I assume this TB is from up north?

The oil issue has already been taken care of, I'd assume by description that it has the pick-up tube mod. And the catch-can tube and the device itself aren't really a worry, he's pretty well known the LSX community, as are his catch-cans (hence his name MightyMouse). I'd say his word and showing you the flaws on the truck are straight forward too, doesn't appear to be hiding anything.

I daily drove my white TB, the blue one wasn't a daily. Had tons of fun in both, even considered another but 4wd this time......but got a Tahoe instead. Not sure how the cam/stall would be for a DD though, might call him and see what he says. But despite some things others gripe about with TB's, I really enjoyed them.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 02:20 PM   #16
theheder

Quote:
If you see/know of any local that are AWD with the leather interior let me know. I keep an eye on Craigslist but none are for sale now around Raleigh. I'd love to find one with no rusting on the doors.

I will keep an eye out. Just an FYI - most AWD owners swap out to RWD because of the weak transfer case and the stupid ass front shafts go through the oil pan. Yes through the pan..... so there are no aftermarket pans that will work on them.

Not to mention the weight savings.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (8.2 KB, 21 views)
Old 01-20-2017, 03:21 PM   #17
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
I will keep an eye out. Just an FYI - most AWD owners swap out to RWD because of the weak transfer case and the stupid ass front shafts go through the oil pan. Yes through the pan..... so there are no aftermarket pans that will work on them.

Not to mention the weight savings.
Yup, and a C6 pan will bolt right up with a pick-up tube swap, but you need a tubular k-member....surprisingly you can get pretty good quality for not much money on the k's.
Old 01-22-2017, 09:26 AM   #18
Jayber

Jayber has disabled reputation
Get Billyman to build you a pan for it LMMFAO LOL..

I had an LS 6cyl back in 06 and had to put 2 fan clutches on it. $600 a pop
Jayber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2017, 11:19 AM   #19
99silverTAguy

Here are the photos of the rust, it's only on two rear doors. Any body people know about how much it would be to get fixed?

Old 01-22-2017, 04:45 PM   #20
theheder

If you are talking about them minimal rust shown in the last pictures I would fix that myself. Clean it down to metal with some sandpaper, mask it off and rattle can it. You won't ever see it since it is on the inside. IMHO that is not a deal breaker by any means.

Did you see the Imperial blue one for 13k?
Old 01-22-2017, 04:54 PM   #21
99silverTAguy

Quote:
If you are talking about them minimal rust shown in the last pictures I would fix that myself. Clean it down to metal with some sandpaper, mask it off and rattle can it. You won't ever see it since it is on the inside. IMHO that is not a deal breaker by any means.

Did you see the Imperial blue one for 13k?
I did, and love the blue on the Trailblazer SS, but that's a little too far away. I'm going to buy the Granite black one from Mightymouse. He agreed on 17k and I should be able to pick it up on the 31st.

I'm hoping the only thing I will need to do fairly quick is add some high flow catalytic converters and maybe change the valve springs since those probably have about 17k miles on them.

Hopefully I will really like the truck. I have a work car, so the bad gas mileage and needing premium gas wont bother me.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:01 PM   #22
theheder

Cool! If you want to go for a ride in mine before hand let me know.
Old 01-22-2017, 05:42 PM   #23
99silverTAguy

Quote:
Cool! If you want to go for a ride in mine before hand let me know.
Awesome, I'm off Wednesday this week and may take you up on that!
Old 01-23-2017, 11:04 AM   #24
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayber View Post
Get Billyman to build you a pan for it LMMFAO LOL..
I hope that dude lives in a sewer somewhere now....
Old 01-23-2017, 06:31 PM   #25
theheder

Quote:
Awesome, I'm off Wednesday this week and may take you up on that!
Wednesday is a go no for me. Tuesday or Thursday is doable.