HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 02-03-2017, 08:15 AM   #26
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Pretty sure it was for wipers. Instead of grabbing power from under the dash they ran a wire all the way out to the top of the driver's fender. When the 305 swap was done they went w/ a one wire gm alternator, reason the Generator light is staying on in the dash. The original wires for the generator are still hanging out of the wiring harness, where they got power for the wipers.. They used a wire stretcher, bare twist, AND a wire nut to get there.

These are simple, single speed wipers, one wire coming off the switch, assuming it grounds out when on. I haven't tackled them yet, would like to upgrade to more speeds, but that's on down the road.

02 s10 blazer 2wd, 4dr - 06 L33 5.3L, 04 Z06 cam/springs, 8.5" rear, 3.73s, built 4L60-E, lowered, 02 Z28 SS rims - SOLD

Click here for build thread
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 06:51 AM   #27
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Measured the cross member clearance

Pulled the interior and had to evict the previous tenants.

Finally got the trunk cleaned out, doesn't look too bad, think there's some rust under the coating. Floorboards need to be replaced, they're pretty bad. Guy put that deadener right over holes.

Some assembly required..

Completely vacuumed up all the interior, blew out every bit of it, under the dash, cracks, etc. Pretty funny cleaning the top of the dash off and watching dust go across the hood, PO botched butyl tape install. Smh. Steel wooled the windows then this happened.

Had my phone propped up on the dash, faster I went it would start pinching the phone and changing the volume. Lost all gears in first slow down. Pulled over and everything checked out. Thought, replacing the motor, replacing the trans, either way it'll be on a trailer.. Put it in drive and said f it, winged the motor. Bam! Don't know if the tires or belts squealed more! Haven't had a problem since. Got some gas, stopped by parents, coming home had an ******* in a BMW pull out in front of me, at first locked it down, slid a tad, then was able to get a hold of it and gather it up. Even the person behind me was blowing their horn at the idiot. Fixing the horn is moving up on the list..

02 s10 blazer 2wd, 4dr - 06 L33 5.3L, 04 Z06 cam/springs, 8.5" rear, 3.73s, built 4L60-E, lowered, 02 Z28 SS rims - SOLD

Old 02-06-2017, 07:10 AM   #28
blazinbowtie99
Super Moderator

blazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this placeblazinbowtie99 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Nice progress!
blazinbowtie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 07:20 AM   #29
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Thanks man, had a lot of people staring, I'm used to blending in, that was a little weird. Lol, might have been trying to figure out what I was using to clean the back window.

Going to get the "temp" tag today so I can schedule an appt w/ the license & theft bureau, get the title work rolling.

Old 02-07-2017, 07:51 AM   #30
1SC
Bluegrass Rules!

1SC might have posted something useful at one time
Entertaining project here, you've got a ton of BubbaFab to un-do there . Chevelles are still my favorite, I spent half my life with one.
1SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 08:27 AM   #31
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
Maiden voyage knocked off the to-do list, nice.
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2017, 09:05 AM   #32
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Thanks guys, yes, there's a lot of bubba fab, lol, I'm still finding stuff..

Inspection set for 8 a.m. tomorrow!

Got some goodies on the way, found a glass place that'll install the rear window for $85, can't wait to get the paperwork done so I can get going! Got a cheap seat cover from vatozone, splurged and got a $10 more expensive cover so I could leave the, no shit, rainbow colored saddle blanket cover on the shelf.

Old 02-08-2017, 08:29 AM   #33
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Alright, rockin the new seat cover and ran around Greensboro this morning, even blubbed it's way through a DD drive thru for some coffee. Took it for theft/license inspection, hopefully will have a title in 3 weeks and no rollbacks show up in the driveway.

This thing looks huge in the garage. Lol, she didn't say that either. :bigpimp

Old 02-09-2017, 11:00 AM   #34
HellTeeOne
slingin' cribs

HellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this placeHellTeeOne is without a doubt too mature for this place
^That's a vivid illustration of how much cars have grown in size over the years. A Chevelle wasn't considered a small car at any time they were produced.
HellTeeOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 06:31 AM   #35
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by HellTeeOne View Post
^That's a vivid illustration of how much cars have grown in size over the years. A Chevelle wasn't considered a small car at any time they were produced.
True enough, blew my mind when I turned around and saw that. The cars are much safer now but damn. I need to find a civic to park next to.

Finally got the lock hardware and got them installed, also installed pass door handles, pass lock, interior handles, and window cranks. I'm short one crank handle.

Glove box installed, now I don't have to worry about my registration getting sucked out the back window. . I'm 99% sure the windshield will be coming out soon, cleaning up the dash, and painting it. About tired of looking at it.

Left to do, turn signal indicator green lenses in cluster, seat belts (came with huge bolts that don't fit anything), rear window trim clips, and molding clips.

Snapped a pic on my way out the other morning, forgot to turn the reverse lights off!

Think I'm starting to have a problem..

Old 02-11-2017, 07:30 PM   #36
patl

patl has no rep around here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hotwire View Post
Alright, rockin the new seat cover and ran around Greensboro this morning, even blubbed it's way through a DD drive thru for some coffee. Took it for theft/license inspection, hopefully will have a title in 3 weeks and no rollbacks show up in the driveway.

This thing looks huge in the garage. Lol, she didn't say that either. :bigpimp

Might be small, but its big on ride. I loved being able to stretch out my legs and just drive.
I would do 600 miles on weekends to and from Va. Beach in my old 350hp 64. Did this for about a year. I haven't had another car or truck that I enjoyed driving long distance since I parted with her.

Good luck with the build..
95 gmc sonoma (going stock 5.3)
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2017, 09:41 PM   #37
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by patl View Post
Might be small, but its big on ride. I loved being able to stretch out my legs and just drive.
I would do 600 miles on weekends to and from Va. Beach in my old 350hp 64. Did this for about a year. I haven't had another car or truck that I enjoyed driving long distance since I parted with her.

Good luck with the build..
Thanks man, what seats did you have in it? I put some miles on it today and can't help liking it more and more but the bench seat is lacking.

Pulled an old Oldsmobile digital dash I'd bought for another project 10+ years ago. Might throw it in the hacked bezel, it's free and works..

Last edited by Hotwire; 02-12-2017 at 07:21 AM..
Old 02-12-2017, 04:39 PM   #38
patl

patl has no rep around here.
My had the old bench.
Had another one with the original buckets too, but I still liked the bench.
95 gmc sonoma (going stock 5.3)
patl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 05:22 PM   #39
DisturbedRacing
Old Time Ridge Runner

DisturbedRacing is a good little Junkie
Enjoying seeing this build, keep it up man..
DisturbedRacing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 09:45 PM   #40
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by patl View Post
My had the old bench.
Had another one with the original buckets too, but I still liked the bench.
Preciate the reply, mines tore up pretty bad, springs rusted through, I'd like to redo the seats but the springs are so far gone I can have some nice seats in there for the price of new springs/matting/cushion/covers. Oh and I ran across some stats, think this 305, factory fresh, was rated at 165hp/245tq. Lol, checked the rear, 3.08s, combine that w/ the powerglide, man, this thing is a rocket ship.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DisturbedRacing View Post
Enjoying seeing this build, keep it up man..
Thanks man, I'm trying trust me. It's going to slow down for a little bit until I can get my hands on the engine and the title comes through. Might be little piddly stuff but stay tuned, it'll ramp up.

Took my mother in law out yesterday, she drove it and matted it for a pretty good distance, surprised me, old woman still got it! Brother drove it today and was so excited about it he washed the windshield while I put some gas in it. I hope no one pissed in the bucket as we had all kinds of blue washer fluid spraying off the dash into our faces from the bottom of the windshield. Didn't realize it was that bad off.

Old 02-14-2017, 06:35 AM   #41
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Figured out the the special sauce last night, hold it in first till the power steering belt squeals, then shift. The 305 wakes up just a little, the quadrajet opens up the secondaries, hiccups, then puts you back in the seat a hair. I'm ready to run down that 81 nissan sentra with the hood scoop now.

The belt squealing thing.. When you have the hood open while the engine is running the p/s pump is wiggling. The way this thing is mounted is comical, I noticed the belt was 5 ft long when I first popped the hood but didn't really investigate it. The one bolt holding the pump in place is eating it's way into the valvecover.

Something's amiss here. I'm sure it won't sit in the saddle like it's supposed to for some reason or another. Just going to rock it until it's ready to leave.

Old 02-14-2017, 11:27 AM   #42
T6Rocket
Boost Junkie

T6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this place
At least it's better than the original engine, likely an anemic straight 6.

Growing up, we had a 4-door 66 Chevelle. 194 6 cyl, powerglide, 70 MPH top speed!

Al
Old 02-14-2017, 01:33 PM   #43
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by T6Rocket View Post
At least it's better than the original engine, likely an anemic straight 6.

Growing up, we had a 4-door 66 Chevelle. 194 6 cyl, powerglide, 70 MPH top speed!

Al
Lol, true! This is a V8/auto car, surprised me! Fisher cowl tag says it's a 5669 model, 4 door sedan, v8, auto. It was meadow green metallic with light fawn interior (pale green, whitish tan). Only option was rear mounted antenna.

This thing will get up to 78 mph! Only reason that mph is marked in my mind? That's when the flurry of leaves comes blowing out of the kick panel vents and turns your car into a fall festival.

I'm getting conflicting info on the weight, I'm assuming it's somewhere around 3150 wet. That's going to make for fun times w/ the setup that's going in!

Old 02-15-2017, 04:24 PM   #44
63Falcon
It's not ugly, just old.

63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place
Glad to see you with another project. I like me some old cars.
63Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2017, 07:51 PM   #45
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Falcon View Post
Glad to see you with another project. I like me some old cars.
Thanks Ron! It's going to be a basket case for awhile. Grew out of the s10s, glad this somewhat landed in my lap.

Old 02-17-2017, 06:33 AM   #46
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Glass guy came out, highly recommend him to anyone in the Greensboro area needing work done.

Started w/ the windshield, took one hand and pushed it out. Really glad I didn't get air under it at speed, that would have been bad. I'm honestly not use to this level of jackassery, thankful that I at least knew to check the brakes/steering/fuel..

We both noticed some rust in the lower channel, he told me to clean it up and at least get the front portion of the dash painted before he installs the new windshield cause I won't be able to reach it after. Started scotchbriting the area, got out the air hose and started blowing the dust off.. and that's where it went south. Large chunks of bondo and black/dark brown rust started flying. About to order a new window channel, borrow my buddy's Stevie Wonder MIG welder, and figure out how to replace it. New windshield is now sitting in the shed where the rear glass was waiting.

At least this happened, 1 step forward, 2 steps back

Old 02-19-2017, 09:25 AM   #47
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Got an over size scratch and dent Tanks Inc powder coated, baffled, and sumped gas tank (22 gal vs 20 gal), sump pump setup, sending unit, straps, roll over valve, vent, and filler neck. Way too nice for this car. It was scratch and dent sale, can't find a flaw..

4.3 liter sump

Walbro 255

Hung out with my brother and nephews yesterday morning. Hit the pull a part. They got a bunch of cars in on the 9th, was hoping to find a set of decent seats. I scored pretty good. 2007 Maxima leather power seats

Yanked the bench out and sat in the car way too long with the new seat, one on the wheel, one out the window. Think all I have to do is swap one rear bracket and the seats will drop right into place.

Matte finish plastic samples came in the mail, trying to figure out how I want to hide the digital dash. The one matte is way too much, other is not enough and scratches too easy. Basic Goldilocks. Might end up with plexi and a satin clear spray bomb. I'm wanting to completely cover the flat part of the factory bezel with matte finish plastic so it doesn't look like the shiny Dakota digital crap. I'll be hitting it with keys (ignition), knuckles (turning on headlights, wipers, etc), wires (cig lighter), mounting single din radio, etc and don't want it to scratch easy.

Was fighting ending the day early even though I was beat. Popped the windshield out and ate up some rolock discs.

Overall view, not bad, but not good either.

Worst part, there's one other tiny spot where the screwdriver went through

Original meadow green metallic showing through on the a pillars

Old 02-19-2017, 09:26 PM   #48
RichardCranium
Administraightbanyourass

RichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this placeRichardCranium is without a doubt too mature for this place
You are keeping a nice steady pace, good stuff...
RichardCranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 05:14 AM   #49
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
I love the constant progress on this one!
Keep it up!

Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 06:25 AM   #50
Hotwire
Running it out to 88

Preciate it guys, I'm definitely trying to get this going. Just spent way too much on stuff I need, but could have waited on (weatherstripping, glovebox door trim/light switch, etc). I want this car to be nice, but may have to live with it being half ass on looks. Still have to get my hands on an engine, have one waiting, have to get the seller motivated as I want to get fitting and wiring going. Started to look around elsewhere in case the deal doesn't go through.