Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Off Topic and More > Junkies Den

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 11-09-2017, 03:47 PM   #1
TTSALEEN
Terminator ur G8

TTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this place
Question Roof repair and hail damage

So anyone else had their roof replaced recently?

Back in September when the hail came thru our area, I had the typical storm chasers thru my neighborhood trying to scam folks about roof work.
- Scammers as in free survey, find damage, try to get you to sign contract, if you don't get them to do work, they charge you $1K. LOL.

So I got a local guy that does this for a living to come out and give me a valid estimate. Took him a few weeks as he was very busy the last month doing work.
Anyway got an estimate for a full roof (shingles) replacement with evidence of new and past hail damage. No signs of leaking inside, but based on age of house (built 1998), he suggested entire new roof be completed.

I am with Nationwide and curious if anyone else had to submit a claim thru them for this type of work.
Do I need more than 1 quote. Will they need to come out and verify this before approving payment? Anything else I should do or ask prior?

Thanks,
Ryan
TTSALEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 07:33 PM   #2
DSM Turbos
Super Moderator

DSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this place
I had my old house done about 2.5 years ago. Don't use any of the people that walk the neighborhoods they are fly by night.

You just call up nationwide, ask them to do an inspection for hail damage, they send out an adjuster and an inspector, if there is enough damage in 4 boxes they draw on the roof it will get approved. Nationwide will not care about if you have a quote or not, they will do their own inspection and approve it or not. They basically give you a check for I think 50% then, and 50% when you have the work done. They also don't care how much your quote is, the adjuster will price the work out, anything above and beyond that is on you. You will wind up paying some out of pocket as they will not cover everything a roofing person wants to do (and should most likely do)
DSM Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 10:29 AM   #3
faSSter

faSSter has disabled reputation
I'm a licensed adjuster and I have inspected a few commercial buildings in the area from that hail storm. I mostly do commercial properties now but I was a catastrophe adjuster for a carrier for 5 years traveling the US handling mostly wind/hail claims. PM me and I'll be happy to answer any questions you have.

Stay away from door knockers and out of town roofers. Do NOT sign anything until you are ready to start repairs. The roofing industry has as many scam artists as any other industry I can think of.

The Nationwide adjuster will come out and write an estimate for the covered repairs. You can get as many quotes from a roofer as you'd like but if you are talking with good local roofers you shouldn't need more than 2 or 3. Provided the roofer's estimate is reasonable and the Nationwide adjuster knows what he or she is doing, the numbers should be fairly close. Typically once you have chosen your roofer the adjuster will work with them to reach an exact agreed amount before the work starts. As DSM said, any upgrades, additional work, or costs above what is fair and reasonable will be on you.
faSSter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2017, 08:55 PM   #4
theheder

theheder has no rep around here.
I had my roof replaced in August 2017 due to haildamage.

NC Farm Bureau Insurance was extremely easy to work with and paid everything without hesitation.

Last edited by theheder; 11-10-2017 at 09:05 PM..
theheder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2017, 07:48 AM   #5
Ras
Resident Viking

Ras is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this placeRas is without a doubt too mature for this place
We had ours done too.

Called a local, trusted roofer, who came out and said, "you may have enough damage for a replacement." Called Nationwide, who sent out adjuster and roofer to inspect. Got a call a week after from said adjuster, "I'm sending you a check for 50% now, and then I'll send another 50% when you show me the invoice you get from the roofer of your choice. I have some I can recommend."

Got the whole thing replaced. It was much easier to deal with Nationwide than the roofer we picked. Thumbs up to them.
Old 11-15-2017, 08:59 PM   #6
PRIAPISM
Sexual Tyrannosaurus

PRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this placePRIAPISM is without a doubt too mature for this place
I have Nationwide and just got my roof replaced as well. Just had it done about 3 months ago. Shoot me a PM and I can walk you through it.

I had to have them send out a 2nd ladder assist company to approve a full replacement as the first was only willing to replace a portion initially.