HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 10-20-2017, 03:39 AM   #1
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Mullet not included...

My wife made me buy another car today.

I thought I was having a flashback, but she found a 1987 Firebird Formula, all stock, in a nice shade of pee yellow. BUT at a price I couldn't pass up on.. Got to finish up a few projects before playing with this one, but bring on the mesh half shirts, and crank up the Motley Crue, I am growing out my hair..

Best thing about the car was I bought it from Richard Brickhouse!!!!!

"Richard Brickhouse is a retired NASCAR driver. He is best known for winning the inaugural Talladega 500 in 1969"

Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2017, 05:36 AM   #2
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
wow cool history
Old 10-20-2017, 09:30 AM   #3
SlowHawk

SlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this place
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue70 View Post
My wife made me buy another car today.
Said no one ever lol.
Old 10-20-2017, 09:37 AM   #4
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowHawk View Post
Said no one ever lol.
She really did make me buy the 66 Mustang, the 37 Ford, and now this.
She is in love with this thing and has giggled every time she has looked at it since we got it last night.

She is a keeper for sure, lol
Old 10-20-2017, 10:08 AM   #5
SlowHawk

SlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this placeSlowHawk is without a doubt too mature for this place
Haha then kudos you did well man, mine is always trying to coerce me to sell my toys. No bueno.
Old 10-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #6
turd ferguson
Fucker got booted!

turd ferguson has disabled reputation
First things first, wash that unit and buff it and see what the paint looks like.

Raced a guy in high school with one, he bought off a friend. He was a pathological liar, stated his car made 1000 hp. Got laughed at repeatedly. Hooked up drain pipe hose from lowe's to his intake. Genius.
Old 10-20-2017, 05:33 PM   #7
Justin.
Custom User

Justin. is a good little Junkie
YES!!! I love these cars.
Old 10-21-2017, 11:18 AM   #8
theheder

theheder has no rep around here.
I dig it!

I still own and drive regularly a 1991 Camaro RS that I bought brand new in 1990.

The 2 miles it had on it were from my test drive. Now @187k. The anemic 305tbi with factory 5 speed doesn't have enough power to break anything.

Last edited by theheder; 10-21-2017 at 11:20 AM..
theheder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 04:20 PM   #9
Blue70

So, when I got the car, it "ran when parked" it sat for 10yrs when the guy pulled off the carb to rebuild it and never got around to it. Intake manifold was stuffed with paper towels and a cooler lid was on top of the motor to keep the elements out.

This weekend I checked the oil, and it looks like I just put it in the day before, nice clear, and full with no hint of moisture! Checked the radiator, and bright green, full and clear..

Threw in a battery and hit the key, engine turned over free, and it started shooting fuel out of the open fuel line.. I had planned on hooking up an electric pump and draining the tank, but the fuel actually didn't smell bad..

I had an old Edelbrock carb in the garage and threw it on, gave it a shot or two of starter fluid, and it fired right up and settled into a nice idle! Actually sounded decent!

So far I am happy with my $750 purchase, lol..

It is going to be VERY strange with this one, just being able to go to the store and buy off the shelf stuff that is made for the car, and fits.
Old 10-24-2017, 01:23 PM   #10
SlowHawk

That's actually really impressive it turned over so easily after being a lawn ornament for so long. Is this going to be a restoration project or do you have grander build plans?
Old 10-24-2017, 06:05 PM   #11
Blue70

At this point I am not sure of the plans..
The problem is that I have 3 projects going on at once now.
The 66 Mustang, the 69 C10 and now this.

I think right now the plan is to just go through it as stock for now.
Replace the carpet, seat covers, headliner, dash pad.
All new brakes, then a coat of paint, a set of tires and let it ride for now.
Old 10-24-2017, 08:00 PM   #12
TTSALEEN
Terminator ur G8

TTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this place
Cool find!
TTSALEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 08:30 AM   #13
Snowman
ZL1 of thirdgens

Snowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this placeSnowman is without a doubt too mature for this place
Third gen is the best gen.
Snowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2017, 03:03 PM   #14
Justin.
Custom User

Justin. is a good little Junkie
Interested in flipping it quick?
Old 10-30-2017, 09:12 AM   #15
Blue70

Not interested in a flip until I can drive it first

So, little progress, I played with the timing and got it running and driving good around the yard. Replaced all the exterior bulbs, lights all work now. Replaced the 3 plastic bushings in the LH headlight motor gearbox and got that working, old bushings were broken.
RH side headlamp has a broken brush in the motor, so I will probably just replace that whole assembly as one unit.
Also pressure washed it. Still needs paint, but definitely looks better.

Old 10-30-2017, 12:13 PM   #16
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
wow big improvement