HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 03-23-2016, 10:31 AM   #1
Red97Tbird

Red97Tbird might have posted something useful at one timeRed97Tbird might have posted something useful at one time
Getting the Tbird back at the track..

Started working on my car. Been sitting for a while and only getting driven every blue moon. Goal is getting it into low 7's 1/8 and high 11's 1/4 mile this year. (runs 7.6@93 in 1/8 at moment) Next year building the motor seeing how low I can go . Here is some of the progress so far and a lot more to go. Whole car is getting sprayed flat black with plasti dip.

New hood from VFN fiberglass, still mad I had to cut the damn thing to make the superchager fit.

Replaced my door hinge pins. They were really bad as you can see.

Rolled the fenders to make room for the new 295 40 18's, running 285 40 18's now and fenders were rubbing when I would hit dips in the road. Wanted to go wider but have to step up to a drag radial. Already have drag radials on a set of 16 inch pony wheels now.

Hit the rear wheels with some plasti dip to see how I would like them flat black. Not sure if I want them flat black or gloss. Car will be flat black.

New intake parts.

Let me know what you think. Still have some more body work to do and few more odds and ends before I paint it. Think I might send the wheels off to get powder coated. The dip looks good from a far but I can't get the chrome coated the way I want. Just don't know if I should go with flat black on the wheels or gloss black. What you do you all think? Thanks

Last edited by Red97Tbird; 03-24-2016 at 04:59 AM..
Red97Tbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2016, 10:55 AM   #2
T6Rocket
Boost Junkie

T6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this place
Fellow T-Bird owner here! Let's here some details about the engine mods, gears, etc. Do you know Rob from Rob's Tire and Auto? He has helped me immensely over the years.

I have kept all my MN12's stock, so I can't comment on your wheel and body mods, other than those beefy front wheels got to cause some rolling resistance going down the 1/4 mile. Not saying to put skinnies on it, but maybe some sawblades for the track. They are light and fairly skinny.

Al
Old 03-23-2016, 11:14 AM   #3
Red97Tbird

Red97Tbird might have posted something useful at one timeRed97Tbird might have posted something useful at one time
Haha Rob did the v8 swap on my car. Will be putting on the intake for me to. Car has a 03 explore motor in it, vortech supercharger, methanol injection, bbk 78 mm tb, 9.5 inch stall converter , 3500 stall, 4r70w , 8.8 rear, ford racing track lock with 3.73 gears.
Old 04-02-2016, 05:46 AM   #4
Red97Tbird

Hope to start painting the car today. Have the back taken apart and sanded.

Took the front bumper off , because it's never sat right since I had it fixed after some one backed into the front. Pull it off to fine that the body shop used some wire to try and hold it on with. Which broke and caused it to droop down in the front.

Old 04-05-2016, 06:05 AM   #5
Red97Tbird

Some updated pictures. Got it all painted now just to put it all back together.

Old 04-05-2016, 01:05 PM   #6
Justin.
Custom User

Justin. is a good little Junkie
I think the gloss black wheels would look real good on the flat black car.

If you post a picture with the wheels on the car while it's flat black, someone or I can photoshop the wheels to give you an idea what it might look like.
Old 04-05-2016, 07:39 PM   #7
juicedsbf

juicedsbf has no rep around here.
I use to see the car all around winston. It always sounded good. Glad your back at it. Good luck.
juicedsbf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 07:55 PM   #8
98camarod

98camarod has no rep around here.
What did you paint it with? It looks good
98camarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:44 AM   #9
Red97Tbird

Thanks for all the complements. It's sprayed with plasti dip. Used 3 gallons of black on it so far. Still have one gallon left once I get it out in the sun for touch up. I got the dip gun to spray it with . Works pretty well. Figure since it's a garage kept car the dip should last a good while and if I need to touch it up , I can just spray over it. Hope to get most of it back in one together on Thursday. While I have it up on stands , I'm going to get under the car and clean up and surface rust. Wife said she isn't going to let me drag race it any more till I have a full cage in it and fuel cell lol. So those are getting added to my to do list. Any one know a place close to the Winston area that can weld in a cage ? Thanks

Last edited by Red97Tbird; 04-06-2016 at 05:51 AM..
Old 04-06-2016, 02:20 PM   #10
Cominus

Cominus has no rep around here.
I need to roll my fenders, what would you charge for something like that?
Cominus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016, 06:48 PM   #11
Red97Tbird

Got the hood on and the lights in. Roll fenders would probably do it for like 50 or 60 bucks.

Old 04-11-2016, 06:41 PM   #12
Red97Tbird

Got the tail lights in today, also got the door seals and trim back in. Have to take the door panels to get some of the cloth recovered this week.
Old 04-23-2016, 08:35 PM   #13
Red97Tbird

Think the wheels flat black might be a little much. Thoughts ? Wife says I should put a gloss black racing stripe down the middle of the car

Also some before and after fixing the clear on my Brembo's

Old 04-26-2016, 08:04 PM   #14
Justin.
Custom User

Justin. is a good little Junkie
Old 04-28-2016, 05:08 AM   #15
Red97Tbird

Thanks, I think the shinny black looks better then the flat black wheel.
Old 05-09-2016, 08:30 PM   #16
Red97Tbird

Took some new pictures today..

Old 05-10-2016, 05:04 AM   #17
98camarod

98camarod has no rep around here.
Looks good! Nice work
98camarod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 06:36 AM   #18
NCHorseplay
Horseplay Motorsports

NCHorseplay is a good little Junkie
This thread has really made me want to build a bird. I thought I wanted to build a Mark VIII at some point but this generation bird may be a better option. DOHC TT with good Aero. hmmm

This car is looking really good man. Can't wait to see how it runs (once your wife lets you back on the track) :-)
NCHorseplay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2016, 09:23 AM   #19
Red97Tbird

Thanks every one.. If you figure out how to get some twin turbos on a tbird come over to my house and show me lol.. I'm recovering the door panels now. I had dropped them of at a place to get covered and they looked horiable , they didn't make me pay for them that's how bad it looked. So I guess I'll be taking a stab at doing it my self. Then have to redo the dash since the 3m carbon fiber wrap I put on it lost its adhesive and looks like crap now. Then getting the new intake put on and maybe a retune. Maybe in a month or 2 I'll get to drive it. Driving my wife's kia has been killing me.
Old 05-10-2016, 06:14 PM   #20
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
looks pretty good!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #21
Red97Tbird

Here are some updates. Got the new intake put on, with single blade accufab TB. New drag radials put on, hood pins put in last night lol. Upgraded the rear to 11.65 inch rotors, put stainless steel break lines all the way around. Still have to get the dash in one piece , but hope to have it at the track next week. Now just need a race seat and a 8 point cage put in and I'm done for a while.

Old 04-16-2017, 07:40 AM   #22
confused
Fuquay Vagina

confused is actually making some sense.confused is actually making some sense.
Come a long way.You have more patience and skill than me.