HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 11-02-2019, 07:30 PM   #1
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Build 107.. Gilbert..

This is getting crazy, already working on both 56s, and the 60 Gasser, but this 60 F100 followed me home today... That makes two 56 Chevys and two 60 Fords to make things even. Wife named it Gilbert (Because of the movie What's eating Gilbert Grape)

Not 100% sure on plans yet.

Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2019, 07:30 AM   #2
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
neat looking truck.
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 09:01 AM   #3
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Looks like a good start!
http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 05:01 AM   #4
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
So.. plans for the truck kind of snowballed.

The plan was to get it on the road as quick and cheap as possible.
I thought about throwing a spare 350/TH350 into it and rolling, however..

Got to looking at brakes.. for a front brake upgrade, we are looking at around $300...
Well I found a 03-11 Crown Vic front end for $300.
That of course gives me independent front suspension, disk brakes and power rack and pinion.
It of course would handle/ride a lot better. No brainer...

Then in the rear, I looked at adding disks to the 9". The kit I was looking at was $500 in brakes alone.
Then while I was under there I noticed a broken main leaf.. well they wanted $460 a pair... this was adding up quick..

That I ended up with was a 2015-2017 Mustang GT complete IRS, with 34k on it, which again gives me independent suspension,
disk brakes, and of course better handling/ride... It should also fit under the stock bed floor.

Best part is that it was only $280 (total came to $530 with freight shipping to my address) Again, cheapest way out..
So plan is STILL cheapest way out, but it turned out the cheapest is going to give me the best riding/handling trash truck out there.... lol.
I just need to get some tires on some cop car steel wheels so I can install the front/rear ends.

Still need to decide on an engine/transmission.

Last edited by Blue70; 11-08-2019 at 05:04 AM..
Old 11-08-2019, 06:51 AM   #5
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Lol, someone needs to save you from yourself. Keep on getting it though man, you honestly make me feel lazy!
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 11:19 AM   #6
TTSALEEN
Terminator ur G8

TTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this placeTTSALEEN is without a doubt too mature for this place
Sweet.
TTSALEEN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 12:30 PM   #7
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
damn
Old 11-15-2019, 06:31 AM   #8
Blue70

So, this past weekend I was able to go pull a front end out of a 2007 Crown Vic.
Was pretty painless other than one lower control arm, and 2 swap bar mount nuts spinning inside the frame... grr. Luckily the guy had a tiny generator and sawsall he let me borrow. Kicked him an extra $20 for that, lol.

I also want to get this stuff thrown in over a few days I have off at Thanksgiving, so I needed a set of wheels to roll on. I grabbed the cheapest ones I could find on Marketplace.. $350

Good tires

Rolled them in front of the truck, snapped a pic, then photoshopped them quickly so they looked more like they were on the truck instead of infront of it, and gave it a drop...
Wheels were not my choice, and were going to be just rollers, but I actually don't hate them in the chop, they might stay for a bit

Last edited by Blue70; 11-15-2019 at 06:38 AM..
Old 11-15-2019, 06:35 AM   #9
Blue70

Looking at the rear setup. Rear Mustang spring rate is almost double what the truck needs.
Seems the stock springs are 800lb, I needed 450 for a stiffer handling spring on this truck.
(might have to fine tune rate a bit once on the road, but this SHOULD be a good starting point.)

SO.... instead of getting a set of regular springs, I decided to bite the bullet and went coil overs for the rear.

Debating on going coil overs in the front too, but that won't happen until after it's in.

Last edited by Blue70; 11-15-2019 at 06:37 AM..
Old 11-15-2019, 01:40 PM   #10
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Ha! You run into some killer deals that steer the project.....love it! There is a method to the madness!
http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote