Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > Car Talk

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 12-31-2014, 07:52 PM   #51
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crackerballer View Post
Do me a favor and keep a spreadsheet with parts and costs!
I always do

I was able to work on the right side frame rail, cutting away the old brackets, and grinding down a million and a half spotwelds..

I also ordered some longer wheel studs as the ones in the rotors were just a hair too short for these wheels, I only had one thread or so of engagement.

Tomorrow I hope to finish the right side frame rail, so that I can get some seam sealer and paint into the the wheel wells and engine bay soon.
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 06:25 PM   #52
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Lots more cutting, grinding, welding, undercoating, and a little more trial fitting..

If you recall, we started here

Old 01-08-2015, 06:44 PM   #53
scott5

scott5 is actually making some sense.scott5 is actually making some sense.scott5 is actually making some sense.
Looks great! Glad to see the project moving along
scott5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 07:58 PM   #54
jcsperson

jcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this placejcsperson is without a doubt too mature for this place
Awesome work.
jcsperson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2015, 09:22 PM   #55
wecruisin

wecruisin is a good little Junkie
Beautiful! I picked up an engine/trans for my truck last week. Hope to have some progress in the next couple of weeks. Helping my dad with his 40 Chevy sedan right now. Trying to get it where we'll both have an old hotrod to cruise this summer.
Old 01-25-2015, 03:36 PM   #56
Blue70

Thanks guys..

I was finally able to finish the right side frame rail, and mount the suspension on that side, along with the rack and pinion..

Fenders are just resting there, next up is cleaning the firewall, and the dreaded Mustang cowl repair

Old 01-25-2015, 04:52 PM   #57
ls13ater

ls13ater might have posted something useful at one timels13ater might have posted something useful at one time
Looks good!
Old 02-08-2015, 12:20 PM   #58
Blue70

Nothing too exciting, but was able to pick up an Explorer 8.8 with limited slip, and 3.73s today. Going with a triangulated 4 link and mini tubs to get these rear wheels to fit.
Old 02-08-2015, 05:05 PM   #59
slowgt
Haters going to hate!!

slowgt is without a doubt too mature for this placeslowgt is without a doubt too mature for this placeslowgt is without a doubt too mature for this placeslowgt is without a doubt too mature for this placeslowgt is without a doubt too mature for this placeslowgt is without a doubt too mature for this place
when you get done with this one let me know I have a 67 I will drop off .lol I wish I had the skill and patience you have . All of you work is badass in my book !
Old 02-09-2015, 07:49 AM   #60
Blue70

I appreciate it! But after this I think I am going back to bikes for a bit... way cheaper, and quicker to build, lol.
Old 03-01-2015, 02:10 PM   #61
Blue70

Ok,

Got some tires delivered and mounted (Thanks Brian **AKA ami2loud)
So today I narrowed my rack, mounted up the front tires, and pushed her out of the garage, and spun her around so that I can start work hanging the new rear end.

Once the rear is hung, I will work on firewall and cowl.. then I can do floors and start assembling this thing..

Hard to see without the proper stance, but should look good

Old 03-01-2015, 02:55 PM   #62
Crackerballer

Crackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this place
Great progress. Making me extremely jealous. I'd love to start on mine soon.
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 06:12 PM   #63
Blue70

OK.

Only had 3 hours today to work on the car.

I was able to rip out the old 6cyl rear end, and wheel the new 8.8 under it.

Looks like I might have lucked out. I was expecting to be a hair too wide, and was planning on slitting the rear quarter flare and pulling it out an inch.

Looks like I might get away with rolling the lips (after installing the new quarters of course)

Anyway, I know a thread is worthless without pics, so here we go.

Old rear coming out. Right side front leaf spring eye snapped off when removing the bolt through it.

Old and New (new will be painted before I am done of course)

Apparently a full width Explorer 8.8, 18x9 wheels with 6.18" Back space (30mm offset) and 275/35/18's is almost a perfect fit on a 66 Mustang

Last edited by Blue70; 04-03-2018 at 01:38 PM..
Old 03-09-2015, 04:37 AM   #64
footbraker

footbraker is without a doubt too mature for this placefootbraker is without a doubt too mature for this placefootbraker is without a doubt too mature for this placefootbraker is without a doubt too mature for this placefootbraker is without a doubt too mature for this placefootbraker is without a doubt too mature for this placefootbraker is without a doubt too mature for this placefootbraker is without a doubt too mature for this place
I see that truck parked at the road. For sale yet?
Old 03-09-2015, 04:55 AM   #65
Blue70

Quote:
Originally Posted by footbraker View Post
I see that truck parked at the road. For sale yet?
No, just have to move it when I move the Mustang. I've got a small driveway, lol.

I actually drove it to work this morning.

I need to stop working on the Mustang for a bit and jump back on the truck and get the windows in it, maybe a front bumper, the trim in the center of the hood, etc. Just a handful of stupid little things that I have not got to since I jumped to the Mustang so quick.

I got some work cut out for me on the Mustang to finish this rear end, install the new steering column, fix the cowl rust etc. So I can keep busy for a while before I need more money for it, maybe the truck will see some love.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:30 PM   #66
Blue70

Man.. A sane person would have scrapped this thing..

Tonight I started cutting out some rusty frame rails.
Last foot and a half or so were bad, so I took it all the way back to about the axle centerline.
That way I can also tie the new rail into the crossmember that the shocks mount to.
Figure it can't hurt to try to strengthen it up a bit..

Long way to go, but hopefully this weekend it will have a solid foundation, and back on the ground...
Then its onto floors, quarters, cowl, doors... after that I think the rust will FINALLY be gone!

Rusty rail

made a new rail

Last edited by Blue70; 03-16-2015 at 07:41 PM..
Old 03-16-2015, 08:04 PM   #67
Guitar

Guitar has disabled reputation
Can't wait to see this done.
Guitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2015, 08:25 PM   #68
FUKAZ28

FUKAZ28 is without a doubt too mature for this placeFUKAZ28 is without a doubt too mature for this placeFUKAZ28 is without a doubt too mature for this placeFUKAZ28 is without a doubt too mature for this placeFUKAZ28 is without a doubt too mature for this placeFUKAZ28 is without a doubt too mature for this placeFUKAZ28 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Watching this thread amazes me how easy you make this shit look.
You are a true artist for sure man.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:11 AM   #69
DuRsT
Hobbyless

DuRsT is a good little Junkie
Awesome thread man, really appreciate all the pics and info.
Old 03-17-2015, 08:46 AM   #70
Heater
Tastefully Sarcastic

Heater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this placeHeater is without a doubt too mature for this place
As rusty as that looks, has to make you wonder how there is metal to weld the new frame rail to.
Heater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 PM   #71
ARM5280
"Bacon" it's Meat Candy

ARM5280 best poster evAr!!!!!!111ARM5280 best poster evAr!!!!!!111ARM5280 best poster evAr!!!!!!111
I've drooled over quite a few of your projects, is this not what you do for a living? If not why the hell not?
ARM5280 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 06:01 PM   #72
Blue70

Thanks guys.

Heater. Keep cutting until you get to good metal.
Luckily trunk floor was solid, though I cut most of that away, and everything below it is getting replaced anyway.
The frame rails look brand new a foot and a half forward of the shackle mount, I cut back more than I had to, just so that I could tie the new rails into the shock mount crossmember as well for added strength, but really I could have cut a lot less.. trunk extensions are shot, but those will get replaced when I replace the rear 1/4s.
Tail light panel is rust free, but the extension below will get replaced..
It's only steel.. it can be replaced
Old 03-17-2015, 06:02 PM   #73
Blue70

Thanks ARM5280

No it is not what I do for a living, I am a one man operation and build and program control panels in a UL listed shop.. Cars/bikes are more fun, lol..
Old 03-17-2015, 07:55 PM   #74
1slow5o

1slow5o has no rep around here.
Where did you find the wheels at that cheap
1slow5o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2015, 07:56 PM   #75
1slow5o

1slow5o has no rep around here.
Car has come a long ways also. Looks killer
1slow5o is offline   Reply With Quote