HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 04-22-2010, 08:16 AM   #26
Redline165
Crash

Redline165 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by DSM Turbos View Post
Looks good.

My air compressor hating you?
not as much since i dont use the DA very much
Old 04-22-2010, 08:18 AM   #27
Redline165
Crash

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHA-Q View Post
I'm gonna come steal your welding helmet! Those are pimp!
i <3 my helmet.
Old 04-22-2010, 10:01 AM   #28
Akhenaton
Fucker got booted!

Akhenaton has disabled reputation

Pretty soon this is how dealership will offer cars and start listing everything else as add ons, like seats, and the engine.

Also looks like cars I used to see in Durham all the time. All burned up and stuff.
Akhenaton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:39 PM   #29
Redline165
Crash

haha, it doesnt get much more bare then that... haha
Old 12-12-2013, 11:07 AM   #30
Redline165
Crash

Well, Being out of turning wrenches for a living for a while has made it so that i actually enjoy working on the damn thing again.

Progress is slowly being made

and Completed first coat of primer

Blocking discovering a few small imperfections (i expected the fuel door, but was happy with how close i got it to start with)

Fill sand repeat.

On to the Hatch and Spolier

Anyone with body experience feel free to chime in with suggestions. I've never done any type of bodywork and have been teaching (and screwing up) myself as i go. The interior was skuffed and cleaned prior to primer. The body was sprayed with a 2K "direct to metal" building primer. 2 coats then sanded with 320 and body repairs done. The final primer coat is in the works (on the chassis) and has been sanded with 600. Everything is cleaned with a wax and grease remover prior to spraying primer and the garage is at 80 degrees and let dry over night bore any work is done. Im using a decent HVLP gun (with about 3 inline driers on the air supply) and spraying with a 1.4 tip @ 25psi per the tech. sheet on the primer.

More to come soon!
Old 12-12-2013, 11:31 AM   #31
Crackerballer

Crackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this placeCrackerballer is without a doubt too mature for this place
Holy blast from the past! Looking good. Glad you're able to continue the build. Plans to keep it AWD or convert to RWD?

Last edited by Crackerballer; 12-12-2013 at 11:34 AM..
Crackerballer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2013, 01:27 PM   #32
Redline165
Crash

AWD keeping it a street car with full interior ect...
Old 12-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #33
DSM Turbos
Super Moderator

DSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this placeDSM Turbos is without a doubt too mature for this place
Shouldn't have turned down the recent deal!

Good to see you got your ass in gear and started working on it again. Don't take another 3 year break slacker!
DSM Turbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2013, 04:55 PM   #34
Redline165
Crash

Ey... at the rate i do the trial and error of body work it will take that long. haha
Old 12-14-2013, 08:49 AM   #35
BigBadViper

BigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this placeBigBadViper is without a doubt too mature for this place
Man I give you props. You are putting in a lot of hard work. I think every once in awhile about doing a project like this and seeing you three years into it and still a lot to go would probably be where I am at. I commend anyone who can stick with a project like this as it is something I don't think I could ever do.
Best 60' - 1.32 - All on 6 Speed, pump gas, and Drag Radials

Blue 848hp on 11 PSI

BigBadViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:24 AM   #36
Redline165
Crash

Well, Got tied up getting married or something like that, so i haven't been able to do much until about a week ago. Started working more on the doors and getting some of the final sanding done on the body.

New Lights in the Garage (Helped ALOT with shadows)

Working on the hatch. Had a hell of a time getting the rear wiper hole level. I thing i got it a little to hot when i was welding it up and it buckled a little, but after the 6-7th run i finally got it blocked to a point that i was happy with.

Same general problem with the washer nozzle but this one had more ripples up and down. I switched to a harder sanding block and took care of it on the first try.

Painful process of stripping the door.

Hopefully the last coat of primer for the door and spoiler.
Old 05-31-2014, 10:33 AM   #37
Redline165
Crash

Not really an update but i haven't done alot of work on it in a while. The boss lady gave me a month or two worth of spring time honey do's and one of which is sodding the front and back yard and installing an irrigation system. So with the added lawn equipment the garage is a little too cluttered to get in there and work on things, especially when it involves spraying paint and primer. The wife already read me my last rights for turning our $1500 shiny gloss black lawn tractor into something of the dalmatian variety because i got lazy one night thinking i could just hit one little spot with primer without doing the garage purge. So now i am building a 12 x 32' shed to get the clutter out and make the garage strictly for the car.

I did purchase a 99 GS in perfect condition short of a salvage title for a quarter panel fender bender with black leather interior. I actually bought the car because its been so long i cant remember the routing (and storage location) of alot of the wiring harnesses and misc parts. It also cost less then buying 2 bumpers and side skirts from a junkyard.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:43 AM   #38
bonylad

bonylad has no rep around here.
I've seen honda builds put to shame with this level of attention. Great work!
bonylad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2015, 02:08 PM   #39
Redline165
Crash

Still here and back again, this time im going to keep rolling with it. I got settled at the new job and now have a decent amount of time off. Also got done with the shed so i got all the junk out of the garage and have space again. Basically the car sat for a year or so due to getting married, big job change that took up the last 1.5 years processing out the the old job and a while away from home studying/training.

I dusted the old girl off the other day, cleaned the piss out of garage, and took her outside and gave her a bath (what a royal pain in the rear that is... not having wheels sucks!)

Before: dust, dirt, random leaves, and a few 8 legged critters.

Outside bath time. What a pain in the @#$! Wasnt that bad but i equated it to moving a lighthouse. Move 2 feet, check the front, check the back, move 2 more feet.

Back in the house getting dried off.

Plans are to re coat the underside for protection and just to make it look better. I did a test run with some napa aerosol rattle can. not happy with it. doesn't stick well and looks kinda brown, so im currently in the process of stripping that all back off.

I did spot a few areas around some seams and in the corners of the wiper cowl that apparently had some sneaky surface rust. New air compressor is coming soon because the little 15 year old 20 gallon craftsman finally gave up. Once that arrives ill do a little more sand blasting to get rid of it and reseal the seams everywhere.

Also I finally got the rest of the factory sound deadening out and im glad I did. 3 days after spraying her off I pulled one piece off and it was soaking wet underneath. Apparently that stuff holds alot of water. took almost all day of chipping the stuff off but its all gone now. (saved some weight too... trashcan was heavy) plans for that are now to clean up the residual goo and prime over it. Ill address noise issues later.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:55 PM   #40
Redline165
Crash

Still trucking along. I finally got a proper air compressor which has helped tremendously. Most of my time recently has been going after smaller spots that needed tedious work done to make it look right. (fresh welds in random places that were not laying flat)

Lots of little spots in here. Very tedious and painful on your finger tips

More of the same. Its not in this picture but i blasted out most of the old seam sealer so i can put some fresh stuff in there prior to paint.

I did a little bit of seam welding here just because i was not happy with the new front radiator support was sitting with just the spot welds. But due to my lack of welding skill it got a little sloppy in the corner so some grinding and filler was needed.

Same as above

More Sand Blasting in some spots i missed on the first go around

The goal here was to get rid of the "goo" left by the factory sound deadening. This took quit a while to get it off the underside of the rear seat and out of the hatch area but it looks really clean and smooth now. I wasnt going to do this seeing it was the interior but i kept seeing it and it drove me nuts. Sand is cheap, it only required time.

Same thing here. I left the spare tire well along just because its going away here soon.
Old 01-11-2016, 08:56 PM   #41
Redline165
Crash

The Driveway doesnt look nearly as bad as last time!

Next step is a few small welding projects to make life simpler later on and fix some "buggers" from some earlier mods.
Old 01-19-2016, 06:06 PM   #42
Redline165
Crash

After a long few days of work some good progress was finally made. Primarily due to the help of a good friend to keep me on task. He did bring over his welder/plasma cutter setup which while the plasma cutter is a great tool for what we were after, it drastically delayed progress because of us "playing" with it. The welder worked great but the gas system was acting up so we had to go without. It made a mess in spots but it got the job done just fine.

First we got the spare tire well cut out, got the frame rails for the future fuel cell and potential battery box fabricated and welded in place, (Rear frame rails on these car are not straight and what a pain in the ass it was getting those things jigged up)

You can see where the wife played with the Plasma Cutter as well on this one. haha

Next project was to repair the modifications from a previous dual in-tank fuel pump setup that had 2 -8 lines coming out that simply would not fit without notching/cutting the sheet metal. That metal was not THAT bad to weld on because i used an 18 gauge backing plate but the contours made it hard to keep flat, still, and to honestly just get comfortable inside the car long enough to throw down a steady bead.

You can sort of see the cuts where the fuel pump sending unit was, I don't know why i didn't take a good before picture of this.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:07 PM   #43
Redline165
Crash

Goal 3 for the day was to repair damage from a previous drag strip repair of the front drive shaft carrier stud. probably 10 years ago I hit a piece of debris and it bent/broke the carrier stud somehow and the drive shaft was making an awful noise. After a quick diagnosis and being 2 hours from home with no trailer I pulled the seat and had to cut the interior metal out of the way and drop a random 12x1.25 bolt in there. It worked fine but it looked like crap so I decided now was the time to do it. The bolt part was easy. took 2 minutes, haha. My buddy made the cover for it and it came out nice, it was just a 22 gauge metal cover to make it a little more pleasing to the eye but it worked. Again... no gas on the welder so it still looks messy but it will do the job just fine and look nice once I get it cleaned up.

And finally the bear of a task that for some reason I decided to save until last, the new corner pockets. These things tested every bit of patience I have. The hardest part actually was fabricating them from sheet metal. I started with paper templates, then moved to cardboard, then went to the final sheet metal pieces. I did the mock up pieces with tin snips to get the idea and then after I changed my mind 4 times about how i wanted to do it, i made use of the aircraft maintenance hangar from my previous job to make the bends and cuts perfect. It actually turned out pretty well.

Old 01-19-2016, 06:08 PM   #44
Redline165
Crash

Then came the installation. it was a bit of a jigsaw puzzle because I was primarily spot welding due to the thin nature of the metal and my lack of ability to weld very thin metal. (especially without gas) It worked out in the end, but i did have to get creative taking measurements to make sure that the headlight bracket was square before I welded everything together. Little messy but it should not be a problem after a little elbow grease.

All in all it went pretty well. The welding was challenging due to no gas and basically after working for 10 hours in a row you get tired. haha. Thanks for following guys!

PS: I want a plasma cutter. That tool is fun!
Old 01-19-2016, 06:46 PM   #45
madmike9396

madmike9396 is actually making some sense.madmike9396 is actually making some sense.madmike9396 is actually making some sense.
Damn that's a lot of work ! Keep at it
Old 01-20-2016, 09:07 AM   #46
06MREvo
AWD FTW...

06MREvo has no rep around here.
Great build man, definitely makes me miss my '97 GSX! Still wish I never sold it, oh well, I'm on my 2nd Evo now, haha. I would love to make it out your way at some point & check out the car!
06MREvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2016, 11:33 AM   #47
T6Rocket
Boost Junkie

T6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this placeT6Rocket is without a doubt too mature for this place
What is the end result going to be with the car? Taking it down that far must be for a serious build. Were you able to salvage all the weatherstripping, etc? I can't imagine that stuff is available new.

Sometimes I miss my old Talon. I get on NABR every once in a while, but that place suddenly died a few years ago. There are not many nice DSM's left. Hardly any low mileage one's left, and the real fast one's either got parted out, or are just sitting, like John Shepherd's.

Al
Old 01-20-2016, 04:18 PM   #48
Redline165
Crash

Long term goals are 1000hp full interior street car capable of running 9's at the track but able to drive on the street without hesitation. I have a LONG way to go on that but its doable. Simply put, the ultimate sleeper. I never liked the gutted car look on the street. If I wanted to build an all out track only race car I would have gone with an LSx of some sort. I could go alot faster, make more power, and make this much less of a pain in the ass if i was willing to sacrifice some street car comforts like power steering, full chassis,(no tube framing here) full interior, BB turbo, bigger displacement motor, stock appearance ect... but as I told my wife (who supports this, but doesn't understand) I am building it for me and this is what I want to do. Basically From the outside looking at the finished product to the untrained eye I want it to look like a typical DSM with a front mount, exhaust and a few gauges.

NABR has dropped off the map in the past few years. not sure what is going on there... I follow it every now and then but its just dead.

The small trim pieces are a pain to find but they are still out there. The weather stripping can still be sourced from a few people and worse come to worse can be fabricated. I have most of the original trim still, but you are correct, that parts a pain.
The only part of this car that im not doing at the moment is the roll cage. Primarily because I have a few interior quirks to work through with my fuel setup that could interfere. Engine driven fuel pump is the way to go, but it makes the street-ability kind of rough at low speed. That and the hidden fuel cell that is still going to be NHRA legal is posing its own challenges.
Old 02-28-2016, 05:11 PM   #49
Redline165
Crash

I did get a little work done on my corner pieces in the engine bay but decided that I need to make room in the garage so I started focusing on getting the external stuff prepped and ready for color so I can store them in the shed out back and then I will finish the body. Nothing too exciting here, just lots of sanding work. The side skirts are used so they took alot of patience and elbow grease to get the skuff's out of the bottom side. The hood is also a problem child. Its got alot of little dings that are just taking time. I'm about to say screw it and just go ahead and do CF but im trying to stay on track for my "initial goal" with the car.

Last edited by Redline165; 02-28-2016 at 05:14 PM..
Redline165 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 05:12 PM   #50
Redline165
Crash

I have said it before but im really glad that I did not go into the auto body field. It is very tedious and very little instant gratification so the only way I see progress as the project sits now is by parts being finished and moved to the shed. In other news I have finally gotten my fingers in shape enough to sand continuously without having to take breaks due to cramping.