HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 09-30-2013, 07:12 PM   #126
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by Juiced5.3 View Post
Looks awesome! We need video!! One question for you... the exhaust looks like it's fully welded from front to back.. are you able to remove it if need be?
Have collectors bolted to the shorties, everything else is welded. At some point I'll throw some cutouts or something on there. If I need to remove it I'll get sheet metal butt clamps..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65impala383 View Post
Thats one thing i love about my blazer is the 5 speed manual trans! Burnouts are easy if i want to!!
Must be nice. I went auto due to a couple reasons, would be perfect with a t56...

Daughter called me crying her eyes out, her trans won't shift out of 1st. Blazer pulled like there was nothing behind it. Now got to f' with the 700r4, checked tv, governor gears are next, pressure gauge on order.

After I dropped the trailer I figured Wth. G80 is still kicking but is going to be switched out soon.

Got brave and figured I'd try turning them over with the grass built up on the rears.. no go, you can see how the front tires slid even with the rears spinning, skid is under driver door.

Only other thing to remark, hit 3k oil change, got to remember stupid hummer pan takes metric thread filter..
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 10:32 PM   #127
Littlemotor

Littlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this placeLittlemotor is without a doubt too mature for this place
Looks awesome man!
Littlemotor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 05:39 AM   #128
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man, looks like I'm out on the hood. We partied down in FL, came back home with little left in the fun account. Now I'll be dipping into it to fix that pos jimmy, hoping it's just the governor gears, but will find out tonight.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:22 AM   #129
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Not a whole lot of updates. Found a vacuum leak when I tried to get heat when it started turning cold. Turned out I popped the line off the vac reservoir behind the abs module when I was running power wires to the fuse box. So I've been tuning out a vacuum leak ever since it's been running..

Have finally gotten around to rebuilding the rear, still in progress but will have it off the jackstands this weekend. Installing all new bearings/races, seals, and a detroit true trac diff. Bought the diff back in March when I thought I had money, don't really need the posi as this thing has a decent amount of traction as it sits, but I'll need it when I throw the old tires on and do some fast n loud videos. Or somehow sell my left nut and get more power.

Re-purposed a washing machine bearing tool a friend gave me and used it to press the diff bearings on. The one piece even has a raised lip to fully seat the bearing, fit perfectly and didn't contact the cage.

Used left over threaded rod from my LS crank hub install tool

and I'm glad to be rid of the 230k bearings. The pinion bearings have seen better days..

Old 11-18-2013, 07:08 AM   #130
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Getting closer, time limited in the garage but glad to be making headway.

230k has taken the axles down some. Have "repair" bearings from Napa, they offset the bearing and seal to a fresh part of the axle. Hope they hold together.

Passenger side axle

Driver's

It's crazy that all these guys have true tracs and not one has said anything about the pretty cool axle spacer. I had no clue what the hell those parts were for when I opened the box. The metal slug goes between the axles, nipple keeps it in place slug in place, then snap ring holds it together.

Can't tell in this pic but I changed the inset to hugger orange. Pos Pro-form cover takes 3 different size allen wrenches mix of metric and standard, and the bolts that came with it were too short to use the supplied washers / lock washers.. Seems they don't machine the lip planar so one area is thicker than the other. Best is the paint is peeling right off wherever a socket touched it.

Old 11-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #131
stockhatch

stockhatch might have posted something useful at one timestockhatch might have posted something useful at one time
Looking good man! Sneaky little blazer fo sho
Old 11-19-2013, 06:35 AM   #132
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate it man. It is definitely fun to drive!

Got to figure out how to get rid of this wheel hop, the leaf springs on this blazer are ridiculous.
Old 11-26-2013, 11:03 AM   #133
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Finally got the wheel hop figured out. Sat down and figured out how to shoehorn a s10 hop shock and bracket onto the frame and it works well.

And the crap video, trying to video, gas/brake, and watch for traffic sucked, let out of it due to car coming round the bend.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8k...it?usp=sharing

And where we're at now. 3rd & 4th are about gone, going to try and get the trans out and diagnosed this weekend. Assuming I'm bleeding pressure off somewhere to the 3/4 clutch pack piston. The fluid isn't burnt but there's clutch material in the fluid.

Old 12-10-2013, 07:18 AM   #134
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Is there a way to test 3rd gear hydraulics before tearing the trans all the way down? I know I can hit the input shaft with air, but that doesn't test the Teflon seals. I want to do this right and not have to pull this again. Sumbish is tight in there!

Pulled the pan and I'm probably in the market for new clutch/steels.

Any 4L60-E guys in here?
Old 12-12-2013, 08:05 PM   #135
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got it apart today, think I found the culprit but I have yet to pull the valvebody apart. The input shaft of the transmission goes through the pump body and gets fluid pressure fed directly from it. The input shaft has teflon seals to seal the shaft to the pump body. They're kinda tricky to enlarge to fit on the shaft, then "shrink" back down to the grooves cut in the shaft. We didn't have the resizer tool when we put it together and did the best we could with what we had. Unfortunately that caused a ring to poke out past the groove when we installed the pump and it cut the seal. This caused cross bleed and caused the 3/4 clutch pack to not get full pressure.
cut teflon seal

The wearing down of the clutch packs increased the clearances. This allowed the 3/4 piston to pick up speed when it engage and "hammer" the clutch pack. This unfortunately snapped 2 lugs off the input housing where the snap ring for the 3/4 clutch pack resides.

3/4 clutch pack is supposed to have a clearance of .010-.030 for performance applications, was tight, now w/ all the clutch material in the pan I've got .1475", so much clearance I could use calipers to measure.

How it sits, just got to clean it out and grab some parts. Converter has to be cleaned out so I'm going to upgrade to a slightly higher stall.
Old 12-19-2013, 08:02 PM   #136
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Had a productive 12 hr garage day. I started about 8 tearing valve body down, cleaning garage, and setting up operating table. My buddy came over and re-rebuilt the trans, checked everything twice. I worked in the valvebody cleaning it out and installed some of the trans sk kit while he worked on the rotating assembly. Hopefully I will have full pressure on the clutch pack and the torque converter clutch stays engaged.

Shane made it to the house around 11:30, by 1 this is what we had:

After he left I cleaned up the operating table and tools then stopped for lunch. Here's my stopping point tonight, still have to tighten everything down, but I'm good with progress far.

Old 12-20-2013, 02:24 PM   #137
bfd811

bfd811 has no rep around here.
Damn, gettin down to work. Had that sucker out, apart, together and back in record setting time lol. I think I may be the 4L60's next victim. TC clutch wont lock up...
bfd811 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #138
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate it man, ran into some stupid problems today, she's still in the air. Should be driving before lunch tomorrow though.

As far as your car, make sure the ecm is commanding tcc, and check that the converter is getting power from the brake switch. Do the easy stuff before yanking the trans.
Old 12-22-2013, 09:26 AM   #139
Bigtrouble
Fucker got booted!

Bigtrouble has no rep around here.
Go fast problems. I bet it was a bear to wrestle out. I'm starting to piece together an LT1 set up for my mazda. I cleaned up my garage and realized I had way to many extra parts for one not the go that route.
Bigtrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2013, 09:54 PM   #140
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtrouble View Post
Go fast problems. I bet it was a bear to wrestle out. I'm starting to piece together an LT1 set up for my mazda. I cleaned up my garage and realized I had way to many extra parts for one not the go that route.
It was, had to unbolt the exhaust and jack the body off the frame to get the bellhousing to clear.

Let me know when you tear into it, I can help w/ the wiring and programming.

Put about 150 miles on it so far, seems to be doing alright. TCC feels like 5th gear and all gears are holding strong. When the weather dries up I'm going to clean it up and get some real pics/vids. Right now just cleaning up the garage and tweaking the tune since the trans go items in the valvebody changed the shift times.
Old 01-02-2014, 07:52 PM   #141
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got it back together, kolene steels/red alto clutches,cleaned everything out, completely blew vb apart and cleaned everything, installed trans go parts for tcc lock up, rebuilt converter, flushed cooler lines. Get it back together, pressures are great, shifting like a champ, etc.

4 days later I've got a hellacious vibration, knocking change out of the ashtray bad. Starting out no problems cold, 5 miles down the road you can start to feel it. The farther you drive the worse it gets.

I assumed u joint as it's definitely driveline, anything over 35mph and it vibrates, rpm/neutral/gear change had little effect. U joints feel fine, nothing in the suspension changed.. I replaced the rear joint just because it felt a tiny tight. I went through the rear end even though I rebuilt in Nov, everything looked ok.

Pulled the trans and went through it, everything looks ok except for the sunshell/lo/reverse thrust washer is heated up/trashed and one of the filters is full.

Any ideas?

Old 01-03-2014, 09:40 PM   #142
stockhatch

stockhatch might have posted something useful at one timestockhatch might have posted something useful at one time
Damn dude, if it wasn't for bad luck, you would have none at all! Hope you can get it all sorted.
Old 01-03-2014, 10:04 PM   #143
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate it man, turns out the brand new alto/kolene clutch pack we installed is fried too. That's the source of the material in the screen.

Going to be running everything though the parts washer tomorrow and putting it back together myself. I'm going by the book and am going to check every spec to the best of my ability. Went to the trans parts place and picked up everything I need to get it back together along with a sonnax 3rd accumulator fix in case that's causing the burn up. I'm also going to bring torque management back into 2-3 and 3-4 shift.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:50 PM   #144
Bigtrouble
Fucker got booted!

Bigtrouble has no rep around here.
Damn that sucks.
Bigtrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2014, 09:02 AM   #145
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Got it off the jackstands Friday night. Still has a small vibration, measured driveline angles and am +.5 degree working angle. Got 2 degree shims to install sometime this week. I just don't understand why it went from no problem to needing shims all of a sudden..

Trans seems to be doing ok. All gears are there and hold very well. Chirped the tires going into 3rd @ 80 mph.

From what I can figure out the 3-4 clutch pack hasn't been set up right from the get go. The instructions say to use the factory backing plate that's .193" thick but it's been put together using the Alto backing plate that's .125" thick. That means the clutch pack has been set up with .068" slop. Using the factory backing plate I measured .029-.030" wet clutch clearance. Alto recommends .025-.040". I had to rescue the backing plate from my scrap pile and use red scotchbrite and wd-40 to remove the surface rust. Only thing left to do is find a cheap slip yoke and replace the rear bushing on the trans as both suffered from the vibration / lack of lube.

It's passed the weekend test, hoping I can clear the longevity test too. At this point my creeper has more miles than the friggin blazer does.
Old 01-19-2014, 09:00 PM   #146
stockhatch

Creeper miles, lol. You are persistent, I give you that. Sounds like it's all starting to pay off too I hope she stays together for you for and you can start concentrating on adding power from now on.
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #147
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man, hell I don't have a choice of not being! Drove it all last week and beat it like it owed me money this weekend. Still holding together. Got the shims installed and it was like night and day. I definitely was loosing some power to the ground through driveline bind. Now it coasts when you let off the gas and feels like it runs a bit better, almost like driving around after unsticking a caliper.. Still have to replace the yoke, front u-joint, and tail bushing in the trans.

Scared a couple people w/ some twisty fun, got a couple 4 wheel drifts in and overall fun driving. Also cruised around a lot in town car shopping w/ the missus. Seems to be doing ok so far.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:49 AM   #148
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

I know there's not many Chevy guys on here, but anyone remember the Bonneville Salt Flats Syclone? Had that poster hanging on my wall for many years, looking @ the blazer just brings a smile. Not a great pic, but from the side the salt looks about how the paint job on the Syclone looked. yea, I need coffee..

Blazer is extremely stable in the ice/snow, seriously glad I've got decent tread and the detroit true trac installed.

Old 01-29-2014, 06:47 AM   #149
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Trailer queen she is not.

Old 01-29-2014, 07:41 AM   #150
DTHPROOF

DTHPROOF might have posted something useful at one time
Awesome build. Stay safe in the snow buddy.

Tags
5.3, blazer, L33, LS6