HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 02-21-2015, 07:25 PM   #226
zoomo

zoomo has no rep around here.
not trying to hi jack your thread, but im going to do a auxiliary input on my factory radio in place of the cd player, or if i could the cd changer, but im assuming they are the same input. Anyway, im not sure on how easy its going to be to tell where to hook it up?
zoomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:48 PM   #227
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
No worries man. There's adapters out there that plug right into the CD changer port.

This is the write up I followed when I hacked my old stereo

http://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-ele...t-adapter.html
Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 08:20 PM   #228
zoomo

zoomo has no rep around here.
dang i picked up a regular old two wire 1/8 plug in from radio shack tonight, oh well ill go back tomorrow and swap it for that other fancier one. same price at least.

I'm really glad i read through your thread and saw this i never thought about how easy it would be.

ah i should have read a little deeper, i think i can still use the connector i have, still trying to figure it out exactly, im gonna pull it tomorrow and see what i got.

Last edited by zoomo; 02-21-2015 at 09:43 PM..
zoomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 08:06 PM   #229
socmguy
has a 9 inch.....

socmguy is a good little Junkie
Just read the entire thread. Great story and write up. Thanks for posting.

My friend, you would not tell with such high zest
To children ardent for some desperate glory,
The old lie: Dulce et decorum est
Pro patria mori
socmguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 07:17 AM   #230
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man, appreciate it! I'm certainly enjoying it, wish I had some funds to throw at it to make it right.

Lol, appreciate the tags too HPJ fockers, I agree, it is a waste!

Blazer is still on jackstands. Couldn't get a decent pattern out of the used 3.73s, purchased Motives from Summit. Got the pattern right and was buttoning it up last night, got the pinion together, new crush sleeve, etc on and used the brand new Motive pinion nut I purchased from Summit, thread pitch was wrong and ate up the pinion. Called them, said they had the nut listed wrong, new parts are on their way. Pissed at myself for not realizing the issue, but the fockin nut was struck in 4 places, just assumed it was a really tight fit. Tried test fitting it several times after unboxing and just let it be.
Old 03-01-2015, 04:34 AM   #231
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Cleaned up ready for final assembly, motive 3.73s, Detroit truetrac, and Yukon axles.

One last pattern for sanity check. Mesh is good, got .085" of backlash

Painted up with grey rtv

And done. Painted cover where factory paint was chipping off around the bolt holes and replaced cover bolts with stainless.

Trying to go easy on it for 500 mile break in but did find out it chirps the tires going into 3rd
Old 03-07-2015, 07:46 PM   #232
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Went out to wash my truck and noticed the drivers door wasn't shut right, went to pull the handle and it wiggled.

The striker was loose so I pulled it off and saw a decent crack. Ground the paint off and was surprised at how bad it was.

Made a plate that was the same thickness as the shims under the striker, H1 bumper support was perfect.

Drilled small holes at the end of all cracks to stop them from continuing, welded all I could, some spots blew though cause the metal was so thin. Grinded them as flat as I could, then set the welder to Stevie Wonder.

Got the plate as flat as I could and covered it up with some duplicolor I had laying around. It's not something to be proud of but you can hook up to it and tow something. waiting for paint to dry, assembly in the morning, adjusting striker, then washing and racing.

Old 03-08-2015, 06:29 PM   #233
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Made it to the 1/8 mile track. Blazer is a lot slower than it feels, never met the goal I set to be close to my old LT4 s10 time slips.

Closest I got to my 8.38 goal was a 9.157

Track was super sticky, had to back off mph on switching to third because it was hitting the rev limiter before the mph. Was prepping to start messing with timing when someone smacked the wall and shut down the track for an hour.

Finally got it back up and running and this happened

I was already on the brake, got lucky and was able to swerve out of it's path. Had to hit the grass but the blazers fat azz was stable.

The timing tower lost the time on that run, did one last hot lap, came up slower (9.177) so I called it a day.

Glad I got to the track, hate the blazer isn't faster, but it's put me in my place and it's a good place to be for a while.

Here's the run, LS6 cam=vtec,
Red=rpm, white=inj duty cycle, green=mph, look at first gear rpm, the cam isn't ramping in till 3200

Getting ready to mock up a cold air box, iat was hot and pulling timing like a mofo. Never got knock but think I could have gotten better times with some fresh air.

Video, enjoy the wheel hop, couldn't go around the water pit so I tried to burn it off before the run. Hop shock is on the to do list.

L33 5.3L V8 Blazer, LS6 Cam, 1/8th mile:
Old 03-08-2015, 06:55 PM   #234
1FastPickup
Makin' boost

1FastPickup is without a doubt too mature for this place1FastPickup is without a doubt too mature for this place1FastPickup is without a doubt too mature for this place1FastPickup is without a doubt too mature for this place1FastPickup is without a doubt too mature for this place1FastPickup is without a doubt too mature for this place1FastPickup is without a doubt too mature for this place
Glad to see you got it all together and out to the track... Pretty amazing that Chevy II's hood stayed on the whole pass and fell off in the shutdown! ...made for some cool video!

...another junkyard turbo 5.3 - build thread
6.89@101 10.88@120ish
1FastPickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015, 08:41 PM   #235
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate it man, scared the hell out of me, I was more worried about busting up his hood.

Let down by the times but I have tons of room for improvement. That was full street weight, half tank of 89, tools, fluids, etc in the back, even had a umbrella rolling around. Pretty sure I was going to hit 8's, but my ass dyno needs calibration.
Old 03-22-2015, 04:15 PM   #236
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Added a cheap air/oil separator to try and keep oil out of the intake. Took the filter out and wrapped the output with stainless steel mesh. Hoping it won't impede air flow and knock oil out of suspension.

And I'm ready to let H1 go. Anyone have suggestions on places that'll give me decent price on scrap I'd appreciate the heads up.

Old 03-30-2015, 06:32 AM   #237
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

meh update fodder.

Got 2 shims and hop shock installed, definitely made a difference. Lays down purty 275 solid lines, no more hopping, also smoothed out 1-2 and 2-3. Before they were abrupt and felt like they snapped/shocked the rear. Still spins going into second but it feels like it's still pushing forward instead of just spinning.

Quick rattle can to cover up the bare metal, will coat everything after I pressure wash the frame.

Tube to intake is clean

Something over 300 miles after install, it's working

Removing the bind from the driveshaft and driving normal has it's rewards.

Old 04-06-2015, 07:21 AM   #238
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

A/C lines made up, cost a small fortune, used silverado and blazer lines, luckily had them keep the high pressure switch port on the high side.

Still need to wire in high pressure switch to operate the efans. Need to grab the harness from the junkyard when I get time.

Got it all oiled up and sealed, had to pull a vacuum, this is definitely not the preferred way. Pulled 20" and it held for over 2 hours.

Plugged all the sensors up, figured while I was waiting I'd turn the compressor over by hand to distribute some of the oil. Clutch was warm. Checked, line had 12v on it. Tore everything apart trying to figure it out, finally ended up at the fuse box. Turns out going from 2002 to 1998 they changed the starter and a.c. connections. Just had to change where the ac request and clutch power wires were located in the harness, had to do the starter solenoid wire too back when I first got it going.

Got it filled up, fans aren't running with ac so I had to force air through the condenser w/ garage fan.

Head pressure was high because I couldn't find anything to prop the garage fan on and the condenser was warming up quick. Will fine tune levels/pressures when the fans are running w/ the a/c.

Compressor is super quiet, had to look at the clutch to make sure it was running.
Old 04-06-2015, 01:39 PM   #239
63Falcon
It's not ugly, just old.

63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place
I'm jealous of the AC. This will be my first summer with the turbo setup in the car. Lots of heat in my future.
63Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 11:09 AM   #240
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by 63Falcon View Post
I'm jealous of the AC. This will be my first summer with the turbo setup in the car. Lots of heat in my future.
I understand, but trust me, I'd much rather have your problem. Although, this is the best leak any ls swap can get! . Yes, it's dirty.

Finally got rid of the pos chinese airtex fuel pump the previous owner installed and got a decent delphi pump in. The airtex was getting pretty loud. At least before bystanders got a warning that I was firing it up, now I'm positive there will be more parking lot scares.

Airtex

New Delphi

Went to install my LM-1 wideband to do some testing w/ the new fuel pump and both bungs are completely rusted up and inaccessible now. Might have to try removing them when the exhaust is hot, but with there being no room between the pipes and trans, and the bungs are positioned about 6" ahead of the cats, might be a full cuss jar by the time I get one to budge. I hosed them down with wd40 professional rust buster stuff, but didn't get my hopes up.

A circle track guy heard about my wreck and mentioned I needed to install spindle savers. I had to look them up to find out what he was talking about. Seems the open wheel racers had problems w/ their spindle arms breaking when making contact w/ another car, so they devised a solution. They connect the balljoint and tierod end together to strengthen / triangulate the spindle arm.

Ordered Allstar 42130 savers from summit, received them, and got them installed. Now I can start cutting loose in the corners again!

Initial test fit after trimming on driver's side to clear drop spindle

How much I had to remove to fit the belltech spindles

For some reason the driver's side spindle saver bolt holes didn't line up. Not sure if the casting is off or the spindle got damaged in shipping? Had to slot the holes just a hair to get everything bolted up. Contacted Belltech, got initial reply, waiting to hear what their mechanical dept has to say about it.

Didn't get a pic of final install, it's fugly but functional.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:23 PM   #241
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
very cool man
Old 05-26-2015, 06:28 AM   #242
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man!

I ended up somewhere special for memorial day weekend.. jackstand city.

Was coming home from work last Friday, daughter and I had just stopped at the grocery store. Coming down the road a big ass dodge with billet grill and hid lights gets up on my bumper. I'm 5 over with cruise set, didn't really bother me until he kept on backing off then running back up to my bumper.. alrighty, come around a corner to a beautiful straight away so I laid into it, drops down to second and leaves the dodge like he was in reverse. Goes into third and smacks the rev limiter hard. Lost all gears. Again, this time with my daughter and frozen food. I knew what happened and just let it coast while trying to find a spot to pull over, scary thing the engine starts revving up like crazy, cruise control was trying to keep speed as I was coasting down..

Didn't start out bad, fluid looked good

Was itching for a sledge hammer, notice rust pattern around snout of converter, wondering if that's part of the problem..

Filter tells the tale

Yea, think those cracks would cause a small pressure loss..

Put a chunk back in place for a close up.

Going to put a list together, need another converter as this one has metal in it, going with a 3k stall this time I think. Also getting a steel reinforced input drum so this won't happen again. And replacing that damn force motor so I know what the pressures are going to be when I set them and will run a pressure gauge to make sure the tune is right. Think it may also be the converter isn't lined up 100% due to the sbc style setup bolting to the LS engine, will be converting the trans to LS style bellhousing/converter since I've got to buy most of the new parts anyways.

Made it through 10,354 miles this time, looking at it that way, my average is getting better as before it wouldn't make it through an oil change..

Cleaned and partially built valve body, waiting on new o rings for solenoids/piston.

Cleaned parts ready to assemble

Old 05-26-2015, 07:23 AM   #243
63Falcon
It's not ugly, just old.

63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place63Falcon is without a doubt too mature for this place
Hate to see that you have another transmission issue. Have you ever considered a 4l80e?
63Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2015, 06:32 AM   #244
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks man, I did think about a 4L80, but honestly I'm not making enough power to really warrant one. All these problems have been due to too much line pressure and my dumb azz not smart enough to get a new force motor (electronic pressure regulator) to bring the pressures back down. It's been an expensive learning session for sure.

did a little clean up, old trans is clean and boxed up for the time being

Met up with Sammy (LS1Eater) Saturday morning and left out with the start of my transmission rebuild career. Thanks Sammy, preciate the time and extra core!! The cleaner trans on the right was the last trans in Sammy's stang, it's the one I'm tearing down and rebuilding.

Here's what the inside of an input drum is supposed to look like

SBC 278mm input shaft vs LS 300mm shaft

05 Silverado trans ready for cleaning and upgrades

Got the trans completely torn down, all hard parts cleaned up except for valvebody. Will be fine checking parts tonight and putting a grocery list together so I can get everything I need. Should have the trans back together and in the blazer this weekend. Ordered a sonnax input drum reinforcement kit, so even though I'll have correct line pressures I'll have a piece of mind that this won't happen again: http://www.sonnax.com/parts/3600

Picked up Sammy's Vigilante converter too, should make this fat turd jump out of the hole a little better. It'll stall right around where the ls6 cam is coming in vs way too low with the 4.3 converter.

Also got the case and bellhousing cleaned up and painted, slowly getting there

Old 06-01-2015, 01:36 PM   #245
theheder

theheder has no rep around here.
Your TB color looks alot like mine. Good luck on the trans fix. I am running a RPM level X 4l70 with a YANK 4200 PTTB converter at just north of 700RWHP. Been holding up good and cutting consistent 1.5x 60 ft in a full weight SUV (5100 pounds with me in it).

Old 06-01-2015, 06:12 PM   #246
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate it man, mines a B minus the T. I'm looking forward to getting it back together with the new stall, never thought I'd be able to swing this nice of a converter.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:33 PM   #247
ls13ater

ls13ater might have posted something useful at one timels13ater might have posted something useful at one time
Looks good! she should roll, you will love the converter.
Old 06-02-2015, 05:55 AM   #248
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Preciate it Sammy! I checked out WIT, their website is straight forward and you can pick and choose what parts you want. Unfortunately I'm still at the point where I need someone to stick my nose in it as far as some of parts / judgement calls go. Planning on rolling down to Concord possibly Friday to grab parts, might stop by WIT and talk with them.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:08 AM   #249
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Trans pool 2015, who's in?

Got it off the jackstands and down the road last night. Shifts quick but very smoothly, no more jerking your kidneys around. Put a stock silverado trans tune in to break in the clutches easy and not going wot for a little while. Did a couple spirited take offs and a 4-2 downshift @ ~50% throttle, feels good.

Put the line pressure gauge on when I first fired it up, had decent pressure when it was cold, but going to check it again when the trans is at operating temperature. Also found out I can manually change the current going to the force motor w/ HPTuners. Going to see what max line pressure is to make sure I've got it set correctly. Just glad to have it rolling again.
Old 06-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #250
ls13ater

ls13ater might have posted something useful at one timels13ater might have posted something useful at one time
Looks good!

Tags
5.3, blazer, L33, LS6