HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 10-04-2019, 11:08 AM   #401
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Went out to dinner the other night, daughters wanted to ride in the Chevelle, so who was I to say no. Both had their phones out and told me to roll. Of course they were both doing snapchat videos, so enjoy 8 seconds. Got up to around 80 mph, oncoming traffic and curve ahead, so I let out of it. The way the sound of the car backs down on the bridge, damn thing sounds like Eleanor.

https://youtu.be/luNpCSqB07s

Other than that, no updates. Just putting miles on it and trying to figure out a way to keep it clean without using a hose. Rust is popping up everywhere under the paint and the trunk is getting ready to shed it's skin like a damn iguana. Went and looked at another set of rims that were "guaranteed" to fit, again, didn't fit, and again, had to drive through rain to get home.

Getting pre-trip jitters thinking about driving out to Kodiak, TN. (270 miles, little over 4 hours) Knock on wood car has been extremely solid, not sure why I'm getting bent out of shape. Only problem to report was an exhaust leak from where I swapped mufflers..

Going through checking all connections, joints, bolts / nuts, etc. Doing piddly stuff that has been on the list for a long time, just hasn't been a problem. Cleaning up old buffing compound that PO left and has turned to concrete in hard to reach spots (look at hood edge in steering wheel pic), pulled PS pulley and alt pulley, blasted and painted, finally painted brake master cylinder, ground down some welds, etc. Last on the list is wash, wax, and clean what interior I have.

Even though I haven't had any truly visible tire wear the car has ALWAYS pulled to the left. Always felt like a mechanical pull more than an alignment pull if that makes sense? Pulled the pitman arm to see if I installed it off center, it's keyed in 4 places, nope. Everything in the front end is new, all tight, greased, etc. Went through the paces and saw that I had 1.25 turns to the right and 1.75 turns to the left. Guess I didn't have the steering box centered when installing the steering shaft. The shaft is solid, had to pull the steering box off the frame, center up shaft, then reinstall. Not the hardest in the world, but not a lot of fun. Now box and wheel are centered, but tires were pointing to right. Had to turn the tie rod adjusters 3 full turns to hopefully get everything centered up. So this whole time driving the car around I've been fighting the steering box trying to go back to center. Dumbazz.

Had a little time left over so I pulled the plugs to do a once over health check. Damn thing is burning cleaner than I thought, was wondering about the junkyard injectors I had in there. Looked down each insulator looking for aluminum as I was worried I was running on the edge of detonation with my tune. All of them are clean.

Only noticeable thing was "fuzz" on the electrodes, 9,700 miles on swap so far. Not sure if that's from all the fuel fragrance I've ran through it or little bit of blowby on hard RPM decel trying to scrub speed.. I'm overall happy with everything, cracked #7 plug reinstalling so will have to pick one up then take the car down the road to check alignment, after that it's packing, and heading west. If you're wondering I'm running ac delco R44LTSM plugs, platinum tips would get too hot and not allow you full timing for max hp.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2019, 11:09 AM   #402
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Forgot to mention, she may be a dirty ol ho, but she still gets me going. I'm not going to state how long I laid there and looked at all that.. :bigpimp

Sorry for the large pics!

Made it back out to TN with Rick and Adam this past weekend. Rained, was hot, but had a good time regardless. Spent time at No Limit Engineering taking pics while waiting on the crew to arrive. Rob MacGregor had opened up the shop to any autocrossers to come in and have their car checked over and scaled. I went with the hopes of getting a bunch of pics, but ended up only 1 truck was there and I helped assemble a C10 chassis I was so bored. Once everyone got there it was a pretty good storm and I didn't bring the camera in like an idiot.

Here's some of the better pics:

3 amigos back at it

Guys ran hard Friday at the autocross, I sat and took pics most of the day with a couple ride alongs. Saturday we went to the tail of the dragon, unfortunately Rick had to leave early and didn't get to roll with us. Tried to keep up with Adam but my car is sorely lacking in the suspension/tire/brakes area. I did hang for a bit in the dragon but my brakes started to get greasy, and that's the last place you want to have something fail.

Had a good time rolling through the foothills parkway but had a bunch of harley riders clogging up the roads on the way back through.

Pics from our usual photo spots

Car did great, 0 problems other than it was baking my balls and loud. Really hoping to be able to upgrade the car so I can present some kind of threat to these guys next year.
Old 10-04-2019, 11:12 AM   #403
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Last one, you're up to date now.

Ever since I mocked up the SS wheels on the car with no tires I was turned off by the look. Thought 17s would look donkish on the car. Then my buddy with a 65 wagon put Z06 rims on for racing, THEN saw Joe's wheels and fell in love. Post: https://www.chevelles.com/forums/17-...ires-64-a.html

Started looking back through my pics and found one where I'd test fit a broken rim with tire on there. Having some rubber in place makes a SIGNIFICANT visual impact..

with tire

Moving forward with running these wheels, will roll/cut the rear fender lip and get the necessary spacers with correct hub centric pattern. The cheap ones I got for test fit off ebay have to be pried off the rear axle.

On another note, forgot to mention to ya'll I got high right before my trip to TN.

Went to a Tiremax that just opened 15 mins from the house. My napa buddy told me all his friends are working there and they'd appreciate the chevelle / do me right. He wasn't lying, he even called ahead of time to tell them I was coming. The whole shop was out there looking it over from stem to stern, pulled me out there and talked to me for a while, bunch of great guys. The one guy doing the alignment has a 69 chevelle that pulls the front tires and runs low 6's in the 1/8th.

He WORKED on the car to get it lined up correctly, even had me sitting in the driver's seat weighing it down to get it right. After correcting the steering box and this alignment, damn car is straighter than Burt Reynolds! If there's no crown I can let go of the wheel and it goes forever. He did everything in his power to get some camber dialed in since he knew how I drove the car, but unfortunately it took some caster away so admittedly it is a little twitchy. Brown Santa is on his way to help with that problem though.

Spring loaded tool they use to keep the wheel straight while it's on the lift, never seen one, thought it was cool and was pretty solid at holding the wheel.

Ol girl getting the love it needs.

Old 10-04-2019, 02:39 PM   #404
Tubbed440
Back Yard Engineer

Tubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this placeTubbed440 is without a doubt too mature for this place
Pretty cool man, sounds like you're enjoying the car every chance you get! Keep the "upgrades" coming!
http://horsepowerjunkies.com/forums/...hlight=mock-up
Tubbed440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2019, 07:42 AM   #405
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubbed440 View Post
Pretty cool man, sounds like you're enjoying the car every chance you get! Keep the "upgrades" coming!
Thanks man, I'm definitely getting my money's worth out of this one.

Got some garage time this weekend. Besides having to do a tune up on the MIL's 07 impala.. FWD v6 SUCK! Especially when they're driven to your house and expected to be fix while they wait and have a 2 hour window until they have to be somewhere.. Had a misfire, damn platinum tip fell right off the plug. Thought that was the worst of it until I got to the back plugs. Had to knock off top engine mounts and ratchet strap engine forward to gain access.

204k people, wtf. Only reason they were changed was the misfire otherwise it would have kept on going.

Changed the oil in Salty, figured I'd rotate the tires after this weekend's thrashing. While it was up I dug thru the shed and grabbed the ss wheels.

Here's the result, finally measured everything out, body, frame, and axle were pretty centered. .5" to fender lip, 1 1/8" to frame. Think they're 1.5" spacers, going to order 1.25" and call it done. I'm pretty sure this car came to me with a newer rear axle under it. Have to remember to check the stampings next time I'm under it.

Measured my old 275/40/17, it was 10.8" wide, too wide unfortunately.

Just the rim is 10" wide, add the 1.125 and.5, and you get 11 5/8" total wheel well depth.

Think I'm going to run 255/40/17, but have to play with sizes/availability/price.. The 255s are 25" tall, current setup is 25.3", not sure I want to go any shorter, have enough gear as is. Also want a little sidewall to fill in the huge wheel openings, try to balance the look out. So far I'm not having much luck finding a better size with a lot of tire mfg support. The one size I would love to have is only made by goodyear and cost $365/ea..

Stopping point

Old 10-07-2019, 07:48 AM   #406
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
that looks good
Old 10-08-2019, 02:30 PM   #407
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
looks like it's been a fun summer!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2019, 05:08 PM   #408
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
that looks good
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
looks like it's been a fun summer!
Preciate it guys! Been pretty good so far. Hopefully will have a better update tomorrow, and have signed up for autocross at the Dixie classic fair on Sunday!
Old 10-09-2019, 04:17 AM   #409
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
that's cool to see someone enjoying their car! I've been to busy to make it to the dragstrip
Old 10-10-2019, 05:30 AM   #410
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mwilson View Post
that's cool to see someone enjoying their car! I've been to busy to make it to the dragstrip
I understand man, this year has been flying by for me as well. Hoping to make it out to Piedmont to get some numbers before they close for the winter.

Ok, the reason for getting the 17's figured out, finally upgrading the front suspension so maybe I can turn without leaving a pucker mark in the driver's seat. This put a HUGE dent in the car fund, but will ultimately make it into the driver I've been planning for some time. This car was supposed to do everything better than the blazer and hopefully this is the ticket.

SPC fully adjustable upper control arms to dial in camber/caster as the original geometry is completely horrible. Positive camber on compression, negative on rebound, exactly opposite of how it should be. (see autox pics earlier)

SPC fully adjustable upper arms, proforged .9" taller upper ball joints, and .5" taller lower ball joints. Arms look top notch in person, couldn't get a feel for them looking at pictures. The taller upper joints will help correct the backwards camber curve it has now. Taller lower will hopefully fix bump steer.

Plan on pulling the springs and shocks, run the suspension through its full range and take measurements (angle finder on rotor face to measure camber). Then will install new components and repeat. At this point I'm unsure of how to mount the upper balljoint, above? Below? Use the included spacers? Hoping measuring it out will help me dial it in before I get an alignment. Again.

Final box came in, my gawd is this thing beefy.

Hellwig 1 5/16" sway bar, it weighs in at 27lbs, won't have any illusions of pulling a front tire once this is bolted on.

Stock bar 3/4", to put it in perspective, your thumb is most likely wider than this thing.

New bar, just a little difference

And got the ss rims scrubbed and ready for new rubber, loaded in the truck for a lunch run

Last edited by Hotwire; 10-10-2019 at 05:32 AM..
Old 10-10-2019, 06:24 AM   #411
Mwilson

very nice
Old 10-14-2019, 05:32 AM   #412
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

New rubber applied. Cooper Zeon RS3-A, newer version of the tires I ran on the blazer. 255/40/17

Stock 3/4" bar vs Hellwig 1 5/16" bar. No comparison, my thumb is wider than the stocker. Only downside is that bar is going to add 25lbs to the nose of the car.

While I was wrenching on the front I noticed something weird looking in the wheel well. Closer inspection, those 70 series were really digging in on the hard turns!!

Got the front end apart and ran into a couple issues last night, little stressed about lack of time and getting the car together for Sunday, but will see how it goes. Stripped the front down to the basics and ran it through it's entire sweep. Going from full droop to bump stop is 4.75" of travel. The car gains 3.5 degrees of positive caster through the sweep. Working on mounting new ball joints, upper control arms, then will repeat test. Have several mounting options of upper ball joint to hopefully get the best camber curve I can.

Money shot, working on getting front end down. Need to swap back to stock spindles, but don't have the time to do it before this weekend's autocross event. Signed up for another SCCA event, like the one I ran in the blazer 3ish years ago. Will be at Dixie Classic Fairgrounds in Winston on Sunday if anyone is bored and wants to take a ride.
Think you will need a Snell DOT approved helmet unless you don't mind borrowing one.

With the the drop spindles think the tires will be hitting the wheel wells before hitting bump stops, need to correct that.

Old 10-15-2019, 02:33 PM   #413
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Looks great so far.

gonna feel/drive like a whole new car!Are you adding a rear sway bar?
Old 10-16-2019, 09:36 AM   #414
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Looks great so far.

gonna feel/drive like a whole new car!Are you adding a rear sway bar?
I can't wait to drive it!

I added a rear sway bar when I installed the solid rear lower control arms. The bars made a huge difference over stock with poly bushings, sway bar leveled the car out some on curves, but it still leaned on harder turn ins.

F'ed myself pretty good. Did a search for 64 chevelle tall lower ball joint, one of the first results was summit racing link. ok, click, add 2 to cart, next. They were the wrong ones, supposedly for 78ish chevelle. Had a hell of a time trying to install them, they kept on cocking when installing and wouldn't seat. Their base diameter was bigger, so now I'm staring at blown out hole for lower ball joint. Going to to White's Salvage in Germanton Friday morning hoping to find a replacement arm. The other fun part is not being able to get the rear control arm bolt out due to primary being smack dab in the f'ing middle of the bolt's path.

For the time being I tacked the old balljoint back in place, sent wrong ones back to Summit for exchange. Got the SPC upper arm installed and tall upper ball joint. It reversed the camber curve so now I have 3.5 degrees negative camber through the suspension travel.

Hoping to dial in this ride height when done. I couldn't stop staring at it last night. Amazing what a set of shoes can do to a ride.

Old 10-18-2019, 01:38 PM   #415
rcktpwrd

Cool

Hate when you accidentally order the wrong parts!

As for the lower control arm bolt I had the same problem with the 454SS. One header tube hangs way down and it goes right across the path of the bolt! I used a sawsall and cut the bolt to remove it... fortunately 88-98 Chevy pickups are plentiful at the junk yard so I just grabbed another bolt and put in from the other direction.

might not be quite as easy to get control arm bolts for your car...

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu