HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums

Advertisement

Go Back   HorsepowerJunkies.com Forums > Car Related Discussion > The Garage > - Junkie projects

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Please visit our local sponsor:

Sponsor

Old 09-28-2018, 06:06 PM   #351
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Hotwire is a good little Junkie
Pretty sure I've got it figured out now. Thought I was crazy or doing something seriously wrong.

Driveshaft guy said I should throw it on jackstands and watch it to see if anything was visual. Fired it up, 2nd gear idle, tires and wheels good, pinion good, but the trans, holy sh!t!! My stomach dropped, honestly thought the trans I bought had a bent main shaft.

Put the dial indicator on it, .043" runout at the trans yoke. Thing was wobbling like a dying snake.

I noticed the driveshaft was a little stubborn going into the trans but just thought I'd forgotten how tight the bushing was..

Bam, Chinese 195/75/14s folks. Driveshaft yoke twisted.

Hotwire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2018, 07:33 PM   #352
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
Wow!!!!
rcktpwrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 11:18 AM   #353
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Next decision I'm wrestling with.. Not sure I'm feeling it.

Old 09-29-2018, 02:02 PM   #354
rcktpwrd

rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111rcktpwrd best poster evAr!!!!!!111
the size looks decent, but too modern of a wheel design for me...
Old 10-01-2018, 11:43 AM   #355
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
the size looks decent, but too modern of a wheel design for me...
I'm with you, they worked on the rounded blazer/camaro, but don't think they blend well with the square edges of the car. Too much variation in design. Plus, they're just too wide for the rear wheel wells. If there wasn't 5 gallons of bondo on the back quarters I'd attempt to roll the lips to make room. Right now, with just the rims, there's just about 1" on either side. That's just too tight for the way I drive, I don't like scrubbing in corners or going off camber pulling into someplace w/ a angle. I'd have to run a tire the same width as the rim, so 0 protection against scraping the rim on the wheel well, let alone a curb.

Dropped driveshaft off at lunch, guy let me go back with him and put it on the balance machine, didn't really believe me after I showed him the bent splines and my videos of my dial gauge showing the runout. Said they'd never seen it before. I believe them, but I'm not pushing 1000 hp on slicks or anything crazy..

https://www.instagram.com/p/BoVoobAF...-by=hotwire454

He chucked it up in a 3 jaw with the yoke all the way in, clamping close to the very neck of the yoke. Little irritated he said, I can run this up and down the gauges aren't moving. I pointed to the bit of yoke sticking out and showed him there was motion there, he put a runout gauge on it, then pulled the shaft, chucked up an output shaft in the 3 jaw, mounted shaft, then ran it again and saw what I saw this weekend, it was flopping. Started questioning the trans. I understand, I can't explain it either. I did run the trans w/o shaft installed, mainshaft runs straight and as true as can be.

The boss is out today, so I'm expecting a call tomorrow to see what my choices are. The yoke can be warrantied out, but I'm trying to get a new shaft, the correct length, with 0 phase on the joints. I might go ahead and purchase a forged yoke just to play it safe. Stay tuned.
Old 10-02-2018, 01:58 PM   #356
rcktpwrd

can't see your instagram, says private and need to sign up...

hopefully you can get something worked out to get that replaced and/or a new driveshaft.
Old 10-02-2018, 04:45 PM   #357
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Nope, only option was to warranty out twisted yoke and use credit towards forged yoke. We'll see what happens, but running down to needing to drive to TN next week, hopefully I can get the pinion angle right and have a good weekend.

Just installed trunk weather stripping, vent window lock handle, now in process of finally getting wiper motor on and working.
Old 10-02-2018, 07:58 PM   #358
Mwilson

Mwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this placeMwilson is without a doubt too mature for this place
they look good! What size? I have a brand new set of 17" rear nittos
Old 10-03-2018, 08:08 AM   #359
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks, they're 17x9 factory 2000 Camaro SS rims. I had 275/40/17s on them when on my blazer, but don't think I can get that wide on this car.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:37 AM   #360
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
I think the wheels would look good.

That yolk is crazy!!
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2018, 05:27 AM   #361
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

While waiting to get shafted again I started getting peripheral things buttoned up. Finally got bushings/screws to install the wiper motor, and correct stainless AC Delco wiper blades. The linkages are SHOT, wondering if they're going to hold together.. Worked on getting it wired in last night, luckily I had already hooked it up to the fuse box and ran everything. Just had to splice in new wire on the engine side where the original wire sheathing had given up from age. That wiper motor is a BEAST! Could probably turn over a dump truck engine with it! Been so long my daughter and her friends thought 60's cars didn't come with wipers.

While I had the dash out I'm working on better bundling of the trunks and wiring in cruise control, getting ready to drive it over to Pigeon Forge to hang with my racing buds. This even is a spin off of the main event we used to go to, just an excuse for them to finally check the chevelle out and have some good times.
https://www.milb.com/tennessee/events/autofest

Hoping my back holds up to the 260 miles!

Old 10-06-2018, 05:21 PM   #362
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Alright, today was a good day! For the most part. Got the dash wiring done, fired the car up, ran through the gears on jackstands, like buttah.

Cruise control! Left switch toggles power, middle button is accelerate, right button is set/Decel. Works like a champ but feels eerily possessed in a 64.

Got the Ol girl shined up too, hoping to get a coat of polish done before the trip. Used some rust dissolver on the rims, they didn't disappear! Spray it on, wait 30, rinse it off.

And the fun.. My floor jack leaks. Before I started the driveshaft ordeal I'd topped it off to get to its farthest height (while it was down). Didn't think it'd take that long and wanted a little insurance so I'd left it extended under the diff. Assuming air pressure was equalized while up that long? Let the front down and the damn fill plug blew off and sprayed fluid everywhere. Had to degrease the whole underside of the engine bay. Can't have anything nice. On positive note, first time I've cleaned/degreased under the hood, was nasty.

Old 10-08-2018, 08:36 AM   #363
rcktpwrd

The car and wheels cleaned up very nicely!

Sucks about the jack... I got one of the Harbor Freight 3 ton jacks for under $80 with a coupon and it works well! It is a little noisy but it lifts and lowers smoothly.

https://www.harborfreight.com/3-ton-...Nzc4OCJ9%0D%0A
Old 10-08-2018, 09:38 AM   #364
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thanks Joel.

I've honestly never had a jack do that to me before. I would have sworn on a bible that the jack slipped and went through the oil pan, but couldn't explain the color of the fluid or spray pattern. Jack was lined up perfectly between rad and front of engine so hyd jack fluid blew EVERYWHERE under the hood.

Made a little progress yesterday, got out early got most of the rain spots out of the windows (used duragloss nu-glass), rainx'd all the glass, and went to town with some meguairs gold class polish. This poor car had seen some hard times. It needs a buff job bad but my back won't take it. You could feel the grit in the paint while rubbing in the polish.

Pads tell the story, gold class polish is light tan/yellow.

Done.

And the best part, tropical storm Michael will be dumping on us while we drive to pigeon forge.
Old 10-15-2018, 06:34 AM   #365
rcktpwrd

Clay bar will remove alot of that grit in the paint!

It looks great after the waxing! Is it clear coated or single stage paint?

I have had good results using 0000 steel wool to clean glass. I have also used Mothers water spot remover along with glass polishing pads on the d/a with good results.
RainX is awesome stuff too!
Old 10-17-2018, 08:30 AM   #366
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcktpwrd View Post
Clay bar will remove alot of that grit in the paint!

It looks great after the waxing! Is it clear coated or single stage paint?

I have had good results using 0000 steel wool to clean glass. I have also used Mothers water spot remover along with glass polishing pads on the d/a with good results.
RainX is awesome stuff too!
Thanks! It's clear coated, think if I can 3M perfect it to cut off the dirty layer and small scratches, perfect it to finish it off and glaze it it'll look pretty damn good. Still polishing a turd, but I like it.

Ol girl provided some smiles per miles this weekend, but damn do I have to get the exhaust buttoned up, it's 1 click off obnoxious, choked on fumes all weekend. Drove out to Pigeon Forge to meet up with my autox buddies from Atlanta, had a good weekend messing on the cars, and made it back home with 0 drama (put ~850 miles on it), can't say the same for their cars though.

We went through the Tail of the Dragon (318 curves in 11 miles), drivetrain did ok but the tires and suspension left a lot to be desired. Ended up getting pics w/ the good camera at my favorite spot that I've found so far (hwy 129 heading into dragon). Not sure if it's the way the mountains are in that area or what but it just seems to get the lighting right for my camera.

Killboy has photographers posted in the curves of the dragon, they got some great shots, bought 2.

At the autocross event I got to talk to the owner and ride in this Malibu (Aaron Oberle). He's a mechanical engineer and did a LOT of work to the car, awesome guy to boot. It was SOLID, 620hp 416 ci stroked LS3, he did a ton of suspension and frame mods. My car felt like you were sitting on a bowl of jello after riding in it, solid as a bank vault.

Rest of the autocross pics I took if you're bored: https://drive.google.com/open?id=1PO...QUijlhtpZLV0-R
Old 10-24-2018, 06:14 AM   #367
Blue70

Blue70 might have posted something useful at one timeBlue70 might have posted something useful at one time
Car shined up nicely!!

I just picked up an LQ4 last night.. Who did your computer reprogram?
Blue70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 07:06 AM   #368
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Thank you sir, did the programming myself using HPTuners. I can probably help you out on yours.
Old 11-01-2018, 05:52 AM   #369
Hotwire
Resail Red Hater

Drove it around yesterday, was about to pull it in for the night and figure I'd roll another boring video. I know I need to get an outside action vid at some point. Just ol bubble butt waiting to go.

Old 11-01-2018, 02:05 PM   #370
rcktpwrd

looks and sounds good!

Tags
1964, chevelle, lsx, malibu